2.5" lift need to settle on wheel and tire combo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Prior to starting the lift install I measured the height of the rear rain gutter from the concrete floor to see how much I would realize when finished. The left measured 69 1/8" and the right measured 69 1/2". Now the left and right both measure the same, 72 9/16". A little more than the 2 1/2" I expected but I am sure it will sag a little with use. Now it almost sits level without changing the front springs.

Prior to starting the lift install I measured the height of the rear rain gutter from the concrete floor to see how much I would realize when finished. The left measured 69 1/8" and the right measured 69 1/2". Now the left and right both measure the same, 72 9/16". A little more than the 2 1/2" I expected but I am sure it will sag a little with use. Now it almost sits level without changing the front springs.
What tire size are you running for those heights?

I really like the American Racing Mojaves

23C0AD3E-5DFE-47E5-B748-DA61B3E15A79.jpeg

I really like the American Racing Mojaves

What tire size are you running for those heights?

31x10.50R15 BFG KO2's. I am almost thinking about not changing the front springs.
The new tires are Pro Comp 33x12.50R15 and they will be mounted on US Wheel 10 x 15's.

@emac, I wish those tires were 16x8. I'd be in favor of any wheel that can hold stock hub caps...for tires, BFG KO2's all day long

31x10.50R15 BFG KO2's. I am almost thinking about not changing the front springs.
The new tires are Pro Comp 33x12.50R15 and they will be mounted on US Wheel 10 x 15's.
How level is the rig?

Mine is roughly 73" to the bottom of the gutter... sitting on 33x10.50 BFG ATs. I've always wanted to know how tall a lift mine has.

Ride & Handling is superior to when it was ridding on 33x12.50 tires.

I love the options and equipment that racer65 is contributing, but for me a 5.5" wide wheel is a no go. (Kudos to him for finding an option for folks who can't live without their hubcaps, and I do mean that as a compliment). I just went to the 16 x 7 wheel vintiques from summit on my rig and they fit fine. There are a lot of great tire choices in the 235/85-16 size; which, IMHO, seems an ideal tire size for a '40. I have not had them in the dirt yet (still lots of snow around here). They work great for looks and pavement, but I wonder about how they fit under 'articulated circumstances'? Time will tell... I think a lot of the wheel size/ backspacing issue comes down to how the truck is actually going to be used? Given that I just learned about hy-steer all pro arms tonight, fitment seems more about articulation limits and rubbing than TRE clearance? Hope this helps! Cheers, matt

Mind posting some pictures of your setup?

I posted here, after I got my wheels on (trying to start a thread that would show up in searches easily, probably unnecessary).

Those pics were before I did my OME 2.5" lift, now we look like this:
KIMG0015.jpg

The summit vintques seem like a no-brainer option, unless you want hub cap clips, or something with some more style. Less than half of Roger's, and no where near as sexy as ukaviator's mojaves. So I guess it depends on which of those things are most important.

And FJ4013, if there is a different pic you wanted let me know. I didn't post any of inside TRE clearance, but I could if it would help?

Cheers, matt

I posted here, after I got my wheels on (trying to start a thread that would show up in searches easily, probably unnecessary).

Those pics were before I did my OME 2.5" lift, now we look like this:View attachment 1666633
The summit vintques seem like a no-brainer option, unless you want hub cap clips, or something with some more style. Less than half of Roger's, and no where near as sexy as ukaviator's mojaves. So I guess it depends on which of those things are most important.

And FJ4013, if there is a different pic you wanted let me know. I didn't post any of inside TRE clearance, but I could if it would help?

Cheers, matt

Thanks. If you have pics from the front and rear that would be what I am looking for too. Are you running 235/85-16 size tire on those? Also is that a custom color or did you buy those in that color? Looks like a dark charcoal. Very sharp.

I'll post some front and back pics tomorrow. Yes on the 235/85 -16, lots of great options in this size. The color was one my powdercoat guy uses a lot "new black hammer"-- a better pic on the thread I linked to above. Thanks, I'm happy with how they turned out color wise. Cheers, matt

You could get some oem steel wheels and have them widened at Stockton Wheel Stockton Wheel

I called them last week and was quoted 145 per, plus shipping to recenter on a 15x8 rim. Spendy but they look awesome imo. @GA Architect is that where you had yours done?

You could get some oem steel wheels and have them widened at Stockton Wheel Stockton Wheel

I called them last week and was quoted 145 per, plus shipping to recenter on a 15x8 rim. Spendy but they look awesome imo. @GA Architect is that where you had yours done?

In Calhoun, Georgia: Wide Wheels by Jerry Robbins: 706-280-0453

Mine are cut, metal band installed and welded back together....then true'd back up.

For those running the 16" vintiques is there a center piece that fills the opening in the rear?

Not quite sure I understand your question, but I think the answer is no. Hope this helps. Cheers,matt
rear.jpg

FWIW: OME Dakar kit, custom OEM rims (9" wide) with 32/11.50R15

View attachment 1665523

View attachment 1665524
FWIW: OME Dakar kit, custom OEM rims (9" wide) with 32/11.50R15

View attachment 1665523

View attachment 1665524
GA Architect - just came across this thread, having recently installed OME Dakar 2.5" lift (shackles, springs, shocks) and needing to replace tires on my '75 FJ40 hunting/farm truck Your rig with the 32x11.50r15 tires looks great. Any regrets or issues since this post? I'm looking at mud tires this size or perhaps 33x12.50r15, but I suspect the bigger will not have enough clearance. Thanks for sharing the photos and any further words of wisdom. All the best - Ben

GA Architect - just came across this thread, having recently installed OME Dakar 2.5" lift (shackles, springs, shocks) and needing to replace tires on my '75 FJ40 hunting/farm truck Your rig with the 32x11.50r15 tires looks great. Any regrets or issues since this post? I'm looking at mud tires this size or perhaps 33x12.50r15, but I suspect the bigger will not have enough clearance. Thanks for sharing the photos and any further words of wisdom. All the best - Ben

Thanks! No regrets on the 32x11.50R15's and will install the same tire when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom