New 40 owner, new to the forum. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I'm glad I found this forum. It is a wealth of information like none other on Land Cruisers!

A little about me I guess, I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade. Mostly helicopters. I've been driving and working on Toyotas for many years now as a hobby...and because I don't like being bent over the table at a professional garage haha.

I'm about to retire from The Army, so my wife bought me a '78 FJ40 she found on Craigslist. 70k original miles, original motor and transmission. It runs great, but needs all the gaskets changed, the Webber carb tuned, and some general TLC/"While you're in there" kinda stuff. I also need to restore the hard top and doors, which aren't in bad shape altogether...some rust and fiberglass work needed, but nothing some welded patches and bondo wont take care of! The PO had a lame bucket seat installed in the back, but I have some original jump seats in the mail. It also looks like it has a 2in Rancho lift installed, which I like and will keep. But I'll be ditching the big wheels and tires and going back to pizza cutters.

Anywho, I'm very familiar with the 3VZ and 22 series motors, but the 2F and FJ40 are new to me. Thats what led me here! I'll probably read and ask more questions than I contribute for the time being.

20170704_150219.jpg

20170704_132009.jpg

Looks like a fun toy you've got there. Wheels and tires are a very good start. The backspacing will limit your choices (absent spacers) but you can get a set of factory 15" still from your local Toyota dealer. After that, "pizza cutters" are hard to find now that BFG quit making the 33/9.5/15s but the 10.5s are better if not cooler looking tires.

This forum hold all the answers to most of your questions. Check out the FAQs and use the search and answers await! Welcome to the madness friend!

Nice truck ! Welcome to the madness !

:cheers:

Nice 40, you're in the right place, the guys on this forum are above and beyond knowledge. Any thing you have questions about will be answered here. Good luck with your needs!!!

Be sure to get the factory FSM's at your first chance. They will be the best investment you make in your 40. Nice looking rig by the way. Did someone really Rino Line the whole tub?

^^^ On what already has been said. Nice looking 40

Nice '78 best year IMO. I would run the stock steelies that are still available as well. I would also look for s original carb if you can find one. I find they run the best that way. Had mine rebuilt by @FJ40Jim and it purrs like a kitten........... We all love pics so please post up more.

...did someone really Rino Line the whole tub?

Eh....yeah, the PO had it done. I wasnt thrilled about that at first, but its kinda grown on me. It's matched to the Toyota color code though, and I'm hoping when I get the hard.top and doors fixed up and painted, it'll be a good looking contrast between a linex'd tub and painted doors and top.

Here's some pictures of the cancerous spots. If anyone has any suggestions on fixing them, I would appreciate it. Welding in patches is about the only thing I can think of.

20170714_112431.jpg

20170707_184106.jpg

20170707_184101.jpg

20170714_112353.jpg

Welcome to MUD, a wealth of knowledge and advice available on the forum.

I've run BFG 33X9.50R15 ATs on my FJ60s with stock rims, so started looking at options when I discovered BFG no longer makes that tire. I read about the 70-Series Land Cruiser 16-inch wheels here on MUD and decided to go that route on my '86 FJ60 project vehicle, with BFG 235/85R16 ATs (same exact tire I run on my '01 Silverado 2500HD). You may want to consider that option also. Here's a recent photo:

Rear-Axle-and-Suspension-1.jpg

Rear-Axle-and-Suspension-2.jpg

I'm leaning towards the same set-up on my '76 FJ40 when it's ready for new tires, and will probably upgrade to an OME suspension at the same time.

Welcome to MUD, a wealth of knowledge and advice available on the forum.

I've run BFG 33X9.50R15 ATs on my FJ60s with stock rims, so started looking at options when I discovered BFG no longer makes that tire. I read about the 70-Series Land Cruiser 16-inch wheels here on MUD and decided to go that route on my '86 FJ60 project vehicle, with BFG 235/85R16 ATs (same exact tire I run on my '01 Silverado 2500HD). You may want to consider that option also. Here's a recent photo:

View attachment 1498938

View attachment 1498939

I'm leaning towards the same set-up on my '76 FJ40 when it's ready for new tires, and will probably upgrade to an OME suspension at the same time.

I'm definitely going back to the stock 15 or 16 in wheels, just because I like the way they look. I'll also look at those tires too.

My wife runs Mastercraft MXT's on her jeep, and I've been impressed with those tires as well. Mastercraft makes a crossover tire now too that I hear good things about...and it looks cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom