1UP BIKE RACK - SOLUTION FOUND! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay folks - first: want to say I appreciate all the help on the bike tray (rack) advice. So hard to do a good solution with the stooooopid barn door. Second: wanted to add a bunch of pics as I was guided to a solution, but lacked real info on it. The 1Up rack is rad. So rad. All metal. So simple. Tire-hold. Made in the USA. And on the standard-issue two-bike model it clears the door with no drop-down hitch goofiness or anything - just plug, tighten and go. They're stadium-platformed for better departure angle, so adding a third (or more) tray is going to cause interference with the door, but look at the pics - it's obvious what that scenario looks like. For the numbers people: with the rack in travel position there's 13" of opening with a bike on. With the rack tilted down that makes for 29". It folds up neatly into the box it ships in for storage. They sell a lock that blocks access to the special lug that tightens it into the receiver (no wiggle!) and you can use kryptonite chain lock as double security. Endless locking points for bikes on or around the rack. And so much faster and easier to attach bikes (not to mention stagger them any way you want) compared to others. I really can't think of a better solution. $545 with accessory lock, shipped. No tax to CA.
bike on side.jpg
bike on.jpg
boxed rack.jpg
clearance close.JPG
clearance far.jpg

Ha... I just scratched a ton of paint of my rear gate because I forgot I had the add-on attached! When it’s just one tray in the normal carry position, you can open the gate without any contact... but watch out for that add-on!

Don’t let this detract you though... simply put it’s the best bike rack available. Period.

^^^ This. I have an add on and it will scratch the bottom of the door. But hands down the best bike rack on the planet!

there's a product you can attach to the trailer hitch that will swing to either side a full 90 degrees thus making way for the door to open. just google search, sorry posting while I have a sec, don't see the link handy but it's out there

Has anyone tried the Kuat Sherpa 2.0?

I know the Kuat NV does not clear (12.125" height from hitch centerline to top when tilted down), but if the 1UP double (11.7" hitch centerline to second tray) clears the door, the Sherpa 2.0 (10.75" hitch centerline to tray; 9.5" tilted down) should... This is, of course, based off of the fitment dimensions listed on each manufacturer's websites, but I hope my reading/understanding is correct.

And yes, I know the 1UP is bomber and great and all, but my wife loves the operation of her sister's Kuat NV and really doesn't like our friend's 1UP. I'm going to pick my battles as I ask for a new suspension kit. ;)

@Makakio - this might be interesting to you as well. When you want the 1Up off your GX, you can relocate it to the garage wall where you can once again put your bikes back on the 1Up without them being on the ground and in the way.

Has anyone tried the Kuat Sherpa 2.0?

I know the Kuat NV does not clear (12.125" height from hitch centerline to top when tilted down), but if the 1UP double (11.7" hitch centerline to second tray) clears the door, the Sherpa 2.0 (10.75" hitch centerline to tray; 9.5" tilted down) should... This is, of course, based off of the fitment dimensions listed on each manufacturer's websites, but I hope my reading/understanding is correct.

And yes, I know the 1UP is bomber and great and all, but my wife loves the operation of her sister's Kuat NV and really doesn't like our friend's 1UP. I'm going to pick my battles as I ask for a new suspension kit. ;)

I have not tried the Sherpa 2.0 but I have the Kuat Transfer 2. The rear door hits the rack even when tilted down; it needs maybe an extra inch to clear it. The fit guide for the Transfer 2 show 10.75" hitch centerline to top of rack when tilted down. If the Sherpa 2.0 fit guide shows 9.5" when tilted down, then there's chance it will clear but it will be super close.

Even though it blocks the rear door, I went with the Transfer 2 because it was one of the few racks that can fit a 20" kids bike without installing extra parts. I can still open the rear door just far enough to put the kids bike in the back when I want to have two adult bikes on the carrier.

rear door clearance picture

I have not tried the Sherpa 2.0 but I have the Kuat Transfer 2. The rear door hits the rack even when tilted down; it needs maybe an extra inch to clear it. The fit guide for the Transfer 2 show 10.75" hitch centerline to top of rack when tilted down. If the Sherpa 2.0 fit guide shows 9.5" when tilted down, then there's chance it will clear but it will be super close.

Even though it blocks the rear door, I went with the Transfer 2 because it was one of the few racks that can fit a 20" kids bike without installing extra parts. I can still open the rear door just far enough to put the kids bike in the back when I want to have two adult bikes on the carrier.

rear door clearance picture
Thanks! It sounds like the tolerances will be close enough that I need to just give it a try. I want a rack that allows the rear hatch to open because I have to get a bike trailer in and out of the hatch for my 1 year old.

I have the Kuat NV 2.0 and use their swingaway arm. That lets the barn door open up completely. I like the rack but it is a bit heavy, I would've gone with a 1UP but wanted to be able to carry 4 bikes.

there's a product you can attach to the trailer hitch that will swing to either side a full 90 degrees thus making way for the door to open. just google search, sorry posting while I have a sec, don't see the link handy but it's out there

Not cheap, but solves the barn door issue on the GX470 completely.

Sadly, I custom ordered mine to swing the opposite direction as the barn door due to the rear spare swingarm on my HDJ81 so I can use it there as well, and the licence plate light cover on the lower tailgate makes contact with the rakattach, so it's not perfect for me, but at least you can open the spare swingarm and the upper tailgate to access the cargo area still.

For the record, the Kuat Sherpa 2.0 fits the GX great. Simply folding it down to the "carry position" clears the door by about 1 1/4". Plenty to not worry about it.

Yes, you need to remove bikes to fully open the back fully, but this is an easy option that just works out of the box.
20190511_022351879_iOS.jpg
20190511_022405291_iOS.jpg
20190511_022415133_iOS.jpg
20190511_022423223_iOS.jpg

I have the Kuat NV 2.0 and use their swingaway arm. That lets the barn door open up completely. I like the rack but it is a bit heavy, I would've gone with a 1UP but wanted to be able to carry 4 bikes.

How does your GX handle with 4 bikes and a swing away hitch hanging off the back?

I have the same setup on the back of a half ton pickup (4 bike NV + Pivot) and am looking at a GX or LC as something smaller that can carry a family of 4 + bike gear when I really don’t need all the space the pickup has.

For anyone looking, the Kuat Pivot or Rackattach is well worth the cost to be able to get to the back of a vehicle when the bike rack is loaded (or not to have to deploy the rack to clear a door to tailgate when it is empty).

How does your GX handle with 4 bikes and a swing away hitch hanging off the back?

I have the same setup on the back of a half ton pickup (4 bike NV + Pivot) and am looking at a GX or LC as something smaller that can carry a family of 4 + bike gear when I really don’t need all the space the pickup has.

For anyone looking, the Kuat Pivot or Rackattach is well worth the cost to be able to get to the back of a vehicle when the bike rack is loaded (or not to have to deploy the rack to clear a door to tailgate when it is empty).

You can't tell its there. I mean, the truck can tow 6500lbs and handle 650lbs of tongue weight. The Kuat with 4 bikes and the swingaway don't weigh anywhere near that.

1up has a 4 bike option, it's the 2 bike with 2 add ons... the modularity is great. I have the single, which lets me run a single, double, or tripple and it works great. 5 years of AZ sun exposure and the thing still looks brand new and works perfectly... I have friends who have had multiple Kuats fail in this time frame

1up has a 4 bike option, it's the 2 bike with 2 add ons... the modularity is great. I have the single, which lets me run a single, double, or tripple and it works great. 5 years of AZ sun exposure and the thing still looks brand new and works perfectly... I have friends who have had multiple Kuats fail in this time frame

Damn, didn't know they were expandable like that. That wasn't clear at all when I was googling them before I bought the Kuat. I'd LOVE to not have to deal with the swingaway but I'm not going to sell all the Kuat stuff at a loss and buy the 1Up now. Oh well...

Damn, didn't know they were expandable like that. That wasn't clear at all when I was googling them before I bought the Kuat. I'd LOVE to not have to deal with the swingaway but I'm not going to sell all the Kuat stuff at a loss and buy the 1Up now. Oh well...
I am really good at helping spend other peoples money :rofl:

Cool info! Anybody running a bike carrier with an after-market bumper with 2" receiver and/or the OEM or SSO or MetalTech smaller receivers (rather than the full frame-mount receiver hitch)?

Seems some of them might be *close* with this style....

MT-34217_01cut__62507.1547487058.1280.1280.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom