1st Gen 4Runner Soft Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just ordered a KTT, great interaction and response so far.

I’ll take pictures and keep everyone posted, should be in mid next week.

Hey, did you ever get your KTT installed? Curious if you have pics? Especially of the internal where one could potentially mount a roof rack

@GCat I still love the look of your rig with the steelies and Maxxis tires! Muy macho!

I’m still totally loving my Softopper too. It’s absolutely the best cash I’ve spent on a 4x4 in my 35+ years of wheeling Toyotas!

Last edited:
Personally, i'd go the KTT route. In recent years, the tops have definitely improved. They also designed a steel cage that mounts on the exterior of the soft top that can and will support a heavy roof rack, RTT and other heavy items but it is costly.

I'd love for Canback to come back but it's highly unlikely.

Soft tops are a pretty significant investment. The cheapest options are at least $900 OTD. A little envious of the Jeep crowd with their $400 soft tops. I ended up buying a KTT Bikini Top and will have to save up for the full top. I've got no experience with any of the tops, but both offerings look good.

Old thread... but I have a softopper... I love it, but I think I’m going to get a CJ8 bikini top or something cheap and see if I can fashion snaps to the front in the softopper location (using the softopper as a template) and have the option. It could theoretically be as easy as snapping on the front and connecting the loops to the back. I’ll have to do some figuring, but I think it could be done cheap. Rolling the softopper up is ok, but a true bikini is rad.

I dont know if Wab Fab is still around but he makes the best 4Runner bikini top I've ever used. Prior to that I fabbed up a J**p bikini channel that I bent to match the contours of the 4Runner behind the cab, joined the 2 halves (bolted together with a simple piece of metal and NBS), then drilled holes in the channel to match the hardtop mounting holes. Used the original bolts. It works pretty good. Only thing I disliked was the straps.

I dont know if Wab Fab is still around but he makes the best 4Runner bikini top I've ever used. Prior to that I fabbed up a J**p bikini channel that I bent to match the contours of the 4Runner behind the cab, joined the 2 halves (bolted together with a simple piece of metal and NBS), then drilled holes in the channel to match the hardtop mounting holes. Used the original bolts. It works pretty good. Only thing I disliked was the straps.
I've seen several threads... I just don't want to replace the setup I have for the softopper. I basically want to make a bikini top accessory for the system in place...

Just got my Softopper a couple days ago. Went with black and tinted windows. Super excited to put it on, but have to wait until we finish our summer move.

I’m curious. I love my softopper but when time comes I may switch. I like that the sides zip off. Not crazy that it uses back glass. I know some like that. My snaps on the body rail are basically free spinning too from the extremely tight fit and wear. It definitely stays dry and looks good though. Easy to completely remove and not have stuff everywhere. My main complaint is it’s a bit tough to snap and I would prefer zip off sides. I could probably add zippers and solve both problems at the same time but I don’t think it’s really designed for that. Can’t wait to hear your initial impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom