1st Gen 4Runner Soft Top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've done a lot of research on soft top options for my '87 4Runner. Here is what I came up with:

1) Killer Toy Tops - $900-$1,000 with lots of color and setup options. Rigid frame design that can hold a roof rack (wish I had a pic of one with a rack). Sides zip off and many use factory rear window.
IMG_1393.PNG

2) Softopper - $750-850 with less options. Designed to fold down quickly but cannot support a roof rack. Sides roll up.
IMG_1394.PNG

3) Can Back - $2,000 once/if they start making them again. Right now 4Runner is on List #2 for production and who knows if they will ever make it to us.
IMG_1234.PNG

So, if I want a top that can support a long but low profile roof rack, KTT is the only option right? Or is it possible to find an old Can Back somehow?

Roof rack I'd like to use would something similar to this:
IMG_1392.PNG

And I'd want it to extend from the rear almost all the way to the front windshield like the later gen 4Runners.

The KTT tops look pretty good. I've looked into this and having a custom top made plus the labor and fabrication of the steel is not cheap. I'd like to see one in person.

I've seen the Can-Back and it's awesome they used to make the frame in stainless steel if you can believe it... agree that we'll probably not see them for the 4Runner again.

I'm working on producing a line of 1st gen stuff and first is a bikini/safari top. I made one for my truck no drilling needed it's a rough prototype.

The KTT tops look pretty good. I've looked into this and having a custom top made plus the labor and fabrication of the steel is not cheap. I'd like to see one in person.

I've seen the Can-Back and it's awesome they used to make the frame in stainless steel if you can believe it... agree that we'll probably not see them for the 4Runner again.

I'm working on producing a line of 1st gen stuff and first is a bikini/safari top. I made one for my truck no drilling needed it's a rough prototype.
Has anyone been able to find a used Can-Back? I saw some for sale a few years back but nothing recent.

The KTT tops are getting better, the first few runs were so-so and they went thru some growing pains on the first bunch of tops with fittment, but they have gotten great feedback from each top they make and they are making a better top with each one they make.

I am holding out for the CanBack, if they are as good as their old models, they will be worth the wait.

As far as racks, how much stuff are you planning on putting up top?

The KTT tops are getting better, the first few runs were so-so and they went thru some growing pains on the first bunch of tops with fittment, but they have gotten great feedback from each top they make and they are making a better top with each one they make.

I am holding out for the CanBack, if they are as good as their old models, they will be worth the wait.

As far as racks, how much stuff are you planning on putting up top?
Most we will put up there is a rooftop tent. Most of the time we won't use it - but I think it'll help protect the top when on tighter trails.

Has anyone talked to the new Can Back guys to see if/when they may start a 4Runner run? I'm signed up on the committed list, but no word just yet. If you haven't done so, sign up so they realize the demand exists!

I just can't wait months and months though...

Most we will put up there is a rooftop tent. Most of the time we won't use it - but I think it'll help protect the top when on tighter trails.

Has anyone talked to the new Can Back guys to see if/when they may start a 4Runner run? I'm signed up on the committed list, but no word just yet. If you haven't done so, sign up so they realize the demand exists!

I just can't wait months and months though...

Why don't you give them a call? Used tops are pretty rare.

03A76DCE-EA0F-47F7-9BC8-97105028DD22.jpeg
With no need to install a roof rack and no patience (or $$ for a Canback) I ordered and installed a Softtopper. Very happy with it....though I rolled the windows up safari style for the day and then went to button it up as the evening cooled off...murder on the fingers and not a simple job due to cold/shrunken fabric and snaps.

I’m hopping it becomes easier as the top ages.

I also have a softopper and am happy with it. Don't try to roll up the sides in freezing temps or the windows will crack. It seals good enough to keep water out but not dust. I don't like the velcro solution on the back window flap. I open the back window a lot on trips and found it annoying so I removed it from the tailgate. I've seen the KTT top on friends 4runners and I don't remember it having the ability/strength to add a rack. If you wanted to support a rack you could have a couple of support bars built to the inner shape of the softopper similar to the can-back to add the strength you need

1116161634.jpg

3E81F74C-EF16-4A26-BBEA-8B5618E86381.jpeg
Good points. My buddy has a KTT and the bar work is substantial...so maybe they have different generations?

Good points. My buddy has a KTT and the bar work is substantial...so maybe they have different generations?
I think your right about different generations, KTT has obviously stepped up their game based on your pic

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I’m going through the motions of figuring out what to do, and if you’re on it already, I see no need to reinvent the wheel...

Older thread, but just remembered it when my friend let me know he was selling his never used bikini top.

Two years in and the top is still fantastic
636D0421-806F-4E1C-9A4D-12E50DAF4071.jpeg
BE6CE01F-FCEC-419A-9E20-A2C4C9D45D2D.jpeg
EC0DF250-FFA1-496D-9C6A-3CFDC41F7845.jpeg

The truck is not garaged. I do have a hard top, currently on saw horses in the grass at the end of the driveway. Not ideal. I’ve considered getting rid of the hard top or suspending it from the garage ceiling...no real need for it in Georgia other than the look.

The softoppers are definitely sweet. Im just wondering how much "pinstriping" they realistically tolerate. That and i recently added a roofbox. I hadn't seen anything with theirs allowing something like that vs old skool C$n b$ck.

Just ordered a KTT, great interaction and response so far.

I’ll take pictures and keep everyone posted, should be in mid next week.

Tires are 33x10.50R15 Maxxis Razrs. Spare is likely the stock size. No plans to ever use it. I’m on the hunt for a used 33x10.50 or 33x9.50 for a spare, but not too worried as truck doesn’t currently travel more than a few miles from home and I have AAA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom