1HD-T - Possible air leak from fuel primer ? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that water-separator filters will sometimes cause air bubbles.

Only if they are leaking. A diesel fuel injection system is supposed to be fully sealed at all points. It doesnt matter whether its water separators or filters before or after. They should all be sealed and stay sealed.

I’m dealing with this same issue now that I changed over to a new OEM hand primer. I changed it just to be proactive but now when I let the truck sit over night I have to hand primer it 20-30pumps for it to start. Then it’s fine the rest of the day. Guess ill put my old one back on.

Have you checked all the fuel line joints? Look for splits in hose ends, they are a common leak point.

Yeah, same thing. New primer, new filter, new hoses, new clamps, new IP, new injectors, new fuel lines, new washers, new everything, and still I get air bubbles. It's getting in somewhere hah. What's the effect of all this? What harm will it do if any? Smoke? Lower pep?

It fires right up, doesn't stutter at all, and is driving fine. It's smokey at idle until it warms up but that's all really.

What's the effect of all this? What harm will it do if any?

Moisture in the fuel gets into your pump and corrodes , and leaves pitting on the fine surfaces. Its not a problem unless you park it for a length of time.
Long starts wear out batteries and starter motors.

You can isolate the air leak by adding temporary lengths of clear tube till in between sections of fuel line until you find the leak. It is getting in there somehow.

I've been tempted to add an inline electric pump. Gone through several rounds of this and its getting old. If it continues after my engine rebuild there's a good chance I'll try it. The only rubber lines I haven't replaced are near the fuel tank so Ill try that first.

The fix for the first time around was to get a new drain valve assembly for the fuel filter. It was so bad it wouldn't run. Now it just needs pumps every morning.

I've been tempted to add an inline electric pump. Gone through several rounds of this and its getting old. If it continues after my engine rebuild there's a good chance I'll try it. The only rubber lines I haven't replaced are near the fuel tank so Ill try that first.

The fix for the first time around was to get a new drain valve assembly for the fuel filter. It was so bad it wouldn't run. Now it just needs pumps every morning.
I just found that my water trap is the cause as well. For now I’ll use a filter without the trap.

Last edited:
I changed the primer twice. One new one old. Finally found a leak at the sedeminter on the old filter. Changed that to a filter without one. I still have this big pocket of air that I can’t get out. It doesn’t effect driving. Any ideas. No air before the filter either

@Socal81 Try loosening the top of the hose (so its barely on) and pumping to force out the air. Also, I was told by others here that any water that makes it to your injectors could destroy them. So I still roll with Toyota filters, just have to stay on top of the o-rings for the water valve.

@Socal81 Try loosening the top of the hose (so its barely on) and pumping to force out the air. Also, I was told by others here that any water that makes it to your injectors could destroy them. So I still roll with Toyota filters, just have to stay on top of the o-rings for the water valve.
Well I think for me it’s the actual sediment cap that’s leaking or the water drain valve. I put on a new filter and o ring and that didn’t help. I will probably end up getting another water separator just not the OEM unit.

I loosened and burped it and yes that seems to fix my issue. I won’t know until morning though if something else is a miss.

Loosen the top, as in where the primer is on the IP side?

All, Today, I also have these issues. I got the leak of the primier. I have taken the video. Would it be caused because I do not use well the oring in the last time changing the filter? Thanks for any advice.

If you used an old o ring, it could be the problem, but they leak sometimes with new o rings. Thats the problem with reusing throw away parts.

Yea I need to order the water sedimenter at the bottom. It had a crack. For now im using a regular fuel filter.

I hope it would be ok once the primer is replaced. Yesterday the engine will stop when idling in the inclined surface! I suspect it is caused by the leakage primer!

Yesterday the engine will stop when idling in the inclined surface! I suspect it is caused by the leakage primer!

Sorry to say, it may not be the primer. You might be lucky, it might be the primer.
Some of the 1HD-T have this issue as they get older. It's a problem inside the injector pump. There's is a fix, can't remember the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom