1FZE Naturally Aspirated Upgrade (CLOSED) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You might get 3-4hp from it, but I don’t think the electric fans will pull as much air as the mechanical fan when it’s really hot there.

@scottryana I just saw a kit in the garage that cancels the mechanical fan and installs a electric puller fan instead. Do you think it would free up any power ?

Just slap a big fat Nagasaki Noisy Boy on there already...what are you waiting for?? :p

Haha, I knew getting into this upgrade I would end up boosting it anyways, it was only a question of when.

I guess I have two choices now, or in case we were not able extract proper power out of the current setup. If we were somehow able to get up to 300 wheel hp with the current setup and it feels good at the dunes, Ill leave it as is if not:

1. Stroke it and stay N/A, increase the stroke from 95mm to 105mm. With the current 101mm bore that should up the displacement to 5.2L

2. Supercharge it with the current setup without stroking it.

Stroker.PNG

Or

This is a pic of the 1FZE bullet supercharget kit.

Supercharger.jpg

Haha, I knew getting into this upgrade I would end up boosting it anyways, it was only a question of when.

I guess I have two choices now, or in case we were not able extract proper power out of the current setup. If we were somehow able to get up to 300 wheel hp with the current setup and it feels good at the dunes, Ill leave it as is if not:

1. Stroke it and stay N/A, increase the stroke from 95mm to 105mm. With the current 101mm bore that should up the displacement to 5.2L

2. Supercharge it with the current setup without stroking it.

View attachment 2442371

Or

This is a pic of the 1FZE bullet supercharget kit.

View attachment 2442372

Im a turbo guy at heart but that bullet kit looks awesome. Is there much information on them from the Australian guys like dynos etc? Really appreciate you keeping the updates coming good and bad.

Im a turbo guy at heart but that bullet kit looks awesome. Is there much information on them from the Australian guys like dynos etc? Really appreciate you keeping the updates coming good and bad.

Yes no problem, I enjoy writing my thoughts and experience as I go along.

Well look, here in Qatar, turbo is the way to go, there are so many sooo many variations and kits available here, and part availability is insane for turbos. Stage 1 daily driver, big turbo kits, there even is a kit called the bazzoka turbo kit all just for the 1FZE. Turbos on 1FZEs are extremally popular here, and they are very common. However nobody here has tried supercharging the 1FZE here yet, so that's why it could be interesting. Furthermore, the supercharger equals more power throughout the powerband and no lag.

For the dunes this is perfect, you need power and you need it right now. It could be worthwhile, maybe with the additional mods that are on the engine right now adding a supercharger might give a huge boost + I could run higher PSI, with the option of going E85 as well.

No final decisions yet, I could end up going with a turbo or I might stay N/A, I am simply contemplating.

I have tried several 1FZE's with big turbos and they are insane, Im talking rubber melting insane. Maybe that is what set my expectations really high for my rig.

Bonus clip of me trying my brothers LC100 with a big turbo kit on a 1FZE, his rig was fully decked out with a MOTEC dashboard!. This was about 2 years ago.

IMG_0164.PNG

I have a strong bias towards turbos, and a stroker could be cool but "that" stroker kit sucks and I would not advise it for your use. The bigger super charger could also be good. I think if there are a lot of turbos in that area and that is what people have the most experience with I would go that direction. You can size the turbo to provide good boost response without all the lag.....

I have a strong bias towards turbos, and a stroker could be cool but "that" stroker kit sucks and I would not advise it for your use. The bigger super charger could also be good. I think if there are a lot of turbos in that area and that is what people have the most experience with I would go that direction. You can size the turbo to provide good boost response without all the lag.....

Yes agreed, many garages here are very experienced would turbo kits, it seems to be the right choice if I do decide to go with boost. However I am very curious to see how the supercharger would run.

What are your thoughts on running E85 on my current build ?, I heard E85 has a ton of benefits in boosted applications what about N/A.

The biggest benefit to E85 is that it has a high octane rating and you have to use more fuel because it contains 20-30% less energy per volume so you get a nice intake air temp cooling effect. With a boosted engine this is great because you can run more boost and more timing without risk for detonation. On a NA engine you can add a little timing but it doesn't give you a big effect like it does on boosted engines.

Boost engines probably between 10-20% increase

NA engines probably <5-7% increase.

Yes agreed, many garages here are very experienced would turbo kits, it seems to be the right choice if I do decide to go with boost. However I am very curious to see how the supercharger would run.

What are your thoughts on running E85 on my current build ?, I heard E85 has a ton of benefits in boosted applications what about N/A.

The biggest benefit to E85 is that it has a high octane rating and you have to use more fuel because it contains 20-30% less energy per volume so you get a nice intake air temp cooling effect. With a boosted engine this is great because you can run more boost and more timing without risk for detonation. On a NA engine you can add a little timing but it doesn't give you a big effect like it does on boosted engines.

Boost engines probably between 10-20% increase

NA engines probably <5-7% increase.

I'll consider E85 5-7% is an ok gain. My friends are telling me to try swapping headers, from the current 6-2-1 to a 6-1 long tube. I might also try that out with a collector extension and no muffler maybe we will be able to get more gains. I do know that 6-1 headers give a stronger peak number, but the issue is the tone, it sounds very high pitched with the 6-1 that's why I did not want to run it.

Current headers(6 into 2 collectors into one, TRI Y):

IMG_3868.JPG

6-1 Headers that I might try:

IMG_3867.JPG

Ok just remember you will need a specific E85 tune and you will loose gas mileage, so if the dunes are a long way away from a fuel station you will need to carry extra fuel with you.

I doubt the headers will be good for any more than 10-15hp, but it all adds up.

I'll consider E85 5-7% is an ok gain. My friends are telling me to try swapping headers, from the current 6-2-1 to a 6-1 long tube. I might also try that out with a collector extension and no muffler maybe we will be able to get more gains. I do know that 6-1 headers give a stronger peak number, but the issue is the tone, it sounds very high pitched with the 6-1 that's why I did not want to run it.

Current headers(6 into 2 collectors into one, TRI Y):

View attachment 2442612

6-1 Headers that I might try:

View attachment 2442613

Ok just remember you will need a specific E85 tune and you will loose gas mileage, so if the dunes are a long way away from a fuel station you will need to carry extra fuel with you.

I doubt the headers will be good for any more than 10-15hp, but it all adds up.

Don't worry it is a very small country from my house to the dunes is about 20 miles, + a gas station is available at the sand dunes but they do not carry E85 so I will have to stock pile if I do end up using it, and keep some at the camp there during dune season, and yes we will defiantly tune it for the E85 if I end up using it.

FYI @scottryana

I see most guys over here that do N/A builds on there 1fze running a cold air intake from the headlight ?? with no filter ! (I think they call it a scoop intake) That would be very very bad offroad.

18829C08-74AC-4947-AA92-661ABAE7032C.jpeg

Yes a lot of turbo cars here in the US do that as well. I also see a lot of youtube videos on people running in the dunes without air filters. I wouldn't do either one unless I had unlimited funds for engine rebuilds.

FYI @scottryana

I see most guys over here that do N/A builds on there 1fze running a cold air intake from the headlight ?? with no filter ! (I think they call it a scoop intake) That would be very very bad offroad.

View attachment 2442635

Damn, I wonder what compression and fuel increases are needed to support that NA…

I found footage of that 500hp N/A in action, that thing sounds so high pitched almost like an F1 engine

I found footage of that 500hp N/A in action, that thing sounds so high pitched almost like an F1 engine

Any idea of the displacement of that engine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom