1FZ Fuel Filter Relocation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Threads
Well, I guess I'm at that point where I need to pull all of the information together on this and finally proceed to get this finished. I have a few questions and of course will rely on the Illuminati to keep my info correct. I have many many projects going on all at the same time but there are constant lulls in between because I am stuck waiting on vendors, or supplies or research or whatever. This happens to be one of those projects that I work on to fill in the time gaps. The other stuff is still happening; the D-Pillar Mount, the Battery Disconnect, the Credit Card Tool, etc.

The end result of this project/mod/potential product will be to accomplish these things:
• Relocate the fuel filter to a far more accessible location
• Relocate the VSV to a far more accessible location
• Mount a fuel filter proxy manifold in the old location
• Have two 1/8" NPT accessible ports to do:
- Fuel siphoning using a no-loss quick disconnect
- Fuel pressure gauge

Most of the details have already been worked out and I'm finally at that stage where I can start designing the mount for the siphon bulkhead, the gauge, the VSV and fuel filter mount.

Why move the fuel filter?
Have you ever replaced it before? Its a complete pain in the ass. Some folks have worked out a way to make it a little easier but its still a pain. But it being hidden it doesn't get changed anywhere near as often as needed.

Why move the VSV?
Have you ever had a PO401 trying to test this thing? Ever had to replace it? Its hell! This gives you a spot in an accessible location to both test and replace.

Why have a fuel pressure gauge?
There are tests for verifying all sorts of things on our trucks. Testing the fuel pressure is not one of them without specialized equipment. I'm looking to eliminate that issue.

Fuel siphon, what the hell?
This isn't my idea. Someone on another thread suggested it and it sounded like a fantastic idea and a perfect opportunity to add it. But, imagine running out of fuel on the trail with other rigs and no one has fuel cans. How do you transfer fuel? If you are using a chainsaw and run out of fuel on the trail, how do you get the fuel out of your 80's tank? You *could* undo the fuel tank drain plug but that SUUUUUUUUCKS. This would allow you to plug in a hose and siphon fuel using your truck's own fuel pump.

As I detail all of this the idea I am of course looking for as much feedback as I can. I'd like to continue moving forward with this if I can and posting this info will help.

The general idea with the fuel filter relocation. Everything else just goes around it:

Fuel-Filter-Mod.png

The proxy manifold has been in development for awhile now and is getting really close:

Machining2.JPG

The Timecerts were fitted to get the fuel supply banjo fittings to be utilized:

Timesert on fuel filter proxy.JPG

The Aeroquip AN fittings were pressure tested for higher pressure than the fuel filter, even the Supra Turbo one, can produce:

fitting pressure testing.JPG

Last edited:
I got the bypass Banjo hoses built up (stainless sleeving may or may not stay) and I sourced through Parker the no-loss Quick Disconnect for the fuel siphon and got the fuel pressure gauge I want to use that has a purge valve to keep false readings from happening.

Banjo hose.JPG
image3.JPG
image2.JPG
fuel pressure gauge.JPG

Dat's nutz.

Hey, did that other guy ever find out where his fuel filter went?

:hmm:

< edit - - maybe not... >

I did this ( fuel filter ) once and it's HUGE PITA comparable to the PHH ..
It's barely even listed as any kind of a maintenance item.

Has anyone ever had one that has actually clogged up?

It's barely even listed as any kind of a maintenance item.

Has anyone ever had one that has actually clogged up?

It's "replace as needed". I have a theory that high ethanol (15%+) may be negatively affecting the filters. I've replaced my fuel filter at least four times that I can remember. Might have been more. I changed my fuel filter about 30k before rebuilding my motor and I noticed an improvement right away. Of course I changed it again when I did the rebuild.

Interesting...

I always kept a few of of them with the FJ55, and I definitely used them!

:lol:

I honestly don't have a problem replacing the filter as is :hmm:

With the right tools, it takes about 20 minutes on a lift and I just don't change it often enough to need a faster method :meh:

That being said, I'm definitely interested in adding a Schrader valve for fuel siphoning :smokin:

Being able to fill emergency gas cans quickly and easily will give you major cool points on the trails :banana:

I'm a buyer for this one. I've been wanting a fuel pressure gauge for a while and would like to replace the fuel filter every 30K or so.

I would also like to be able to check fuel rail pressure AFTER the regulator. Is this something you plan to include a fitting for that would go up at the fuel rail, or will the pressure here be representative of the rail also?

And btw, need a tester???

Seriously though I'm about to buy some parts off Beno but this set up is very interesting. what are you thinking price wise?

And btw, need a tester???

Seriously though I'm about to buy some parts off Beno but this set up is very interesting. what are you thinking price wise?

You could probably use this more than anyone :p

I work on pricing last after I've pulled everything together and I know what things cost. I'm not quite there yet.

I'm a buyer for this one. I've been wanting a fuel pressure gauge for a while and would like to replace the fuel filter every 30K or so.

I would also like to be able to check fuel rail pressure AFTER the regulator. Is this something you plan to include a fitting for that would go up at the fuel rail, or will the pressure here be representative of the rail also?

AFTER the regulator is the fuel return to the tank, not something that needs pressure measurement. What you need is an adapter between the fuel rail and the regulator that has a T for a sender. Other option would be to add the adaptor to the banjo connection that feeds the rail. There was a thread about a year ago with that information.

I hate you right now. Just a few weeks ago I had my engine bay all torn apart and was working on the lower plenum and thinking "Why the heck hasnt someone come up with a way to relocate this filter?" Since there was no solution I buttoned everything back up where it was originally. Now when you finish this Im going to have to tear it all apart again.

I hate you right now. Just a few weeks ago I had my engine bay all torn apart and was working on the lower plenum and thinking "Why the heck hasnt someone come up with a way to relocate this filter?" Since there was no solution I buttoned everything back up where it was originally. Now when you finish this Im going to have to tear it all apart again.

Yeah I know :p

But I've needed to make sure I don't fawk something up. Some have brought up cavitation with the 90s but my friend who does hydraulics says it's not an issue. Guess I'm still all ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom