1FZ-FE ARP Head Studs Installed with Part# (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anything new on the Opel vs Supra vs Whatever for best fit / no interference? Anyone have the precise dimensions on stock head bolts? Wanna talk to ARP on that...

Last edited:
hope this help
PXL_20230131_002954733.jpg

Anything new on the Opel vs Supra vs Whatever for best fit / no interference? Anyone have the precise dimensions on stock head bolts? Wanna talk to ARP on that...
Just buy the opel kit and be done.

Dupe post of mine that may be more suitable here:

Let's put this ARP stud question to bed. I'm in contact with ARP guy who's willing to get to the bottom of this, whether that's something off the shelf (that's a closer fit than the Opel) or something custom. Sent him a photo of an Opel stud beside a head bolt (forget which post I found that in). But he needs info I don't have, that I'm guessing someone here already does. Can you help me fill out this spec sheet for him, as precisely as possible? I don't even have the tools to do that, IF I had a bolt that wasn't already in use. Or maybe there's a Toyota document somewhere? (@cruiserdan? @OGBeno?) Guy is aware that it's a DOHC application with potential interference on the bottom end. Obviously HG thickness will vary a bit; .030 .120 is what I'm seeing on Cometic's site; not sure about stock...

ARP Fastener Sheet.png

the supra studs need to be 6mm longer from my experience.
Sent these photos to ARP contact, who thinks (just eyeballing the photo) that the Supra looks too long as well. I've not handled either; what's the deal here? Shouldn't it--ideally--be the same length as the head bolt?

It would be easier to buy a new head bolt and washer (for ~25 bucks) and send them to ARP to measure themselves.

It would be easier to buy a new head bolt and washer (for ~25 bucks) and send them to ARP to measure themselves.
Interesting thought. Would a used discard have the same measurements--or, rather, measurements that are close enough for this purpose? Somebody's gotta have one of those laying around...

Sent these photos to ARP contact, who thinks (just eyeballing the photo) that the Supra looks too long as well. I've not handled either; what's the deal here? Shouldn't it--ideally--be the same length as the head bolt?
You can’t do that comparison as the studs are threaded to the shoulder and you have no idea what the depth of the bolt is in the block.

I installed Supra studs down to the shoulder and there was no tread protruding the nut after install. IMO we need a 6mm longer “Supra stud” or a shorter opel stud.

I tried several time to get someone to listen to me to no avail. I realize that they get tons of requests that are completely out in left field. But I’m positive I’m correct.

Interesting thought. Would a used discard have the same measurements--or, rather, measurements that are close enough for this purpose? Somebody's gotta have one of those laying around...

Since the bolts are plastic region I would think one of each (new and stretched to past the limit) might be handy. But as Rick mentioned above Studs set differently.

Ideally one would have a block, head and head gasket to make the most accurate determination. I am not a fastener engineer however. I fly a desk.

You can’t do that comparison as the studs are threaded to the shoulder and you have no idea what the depth of the bolt is in the block.

I installed Supra studs down to the shoulder and there was no tread protruding the nut after install. IMO we need a 6mm longer “Supra stud” or a shorter opel stud.

I tried several time to get someone to listen to me to no avail. I realize that they get tons of requests that are completely out in left field. But I’m positive I’m correct.
I've got an exec's ear, so maybe I'll get somewhere (fingers crossed). So, this is useful info. With the Supra threaded until the shoulder stops it, there's no thread protruding ABOVE the ARP-supplied stud, and no cam interference--is what you're saying? And what washer are you using? Thanks!

Last edited:
If I remember correctly from when I was test fitting thing this is what an oem washer and supra arp stud and nut without a headgasket.. I have heard some of the aussie guys get 5 or 6mm ball bearings and drop them in the bores to get the studs to fully seat onto something. Probably doesn't help much as i dont 100% recall the configuration here but id say 6mm longer is where it needs to be. Only other issue i see here is the front 2 studs need to be measured to make sure they clear the cam gears...
20210815_172417.jpg

I've got an exec's ear, so maybe I'll get somewhere (fingers crossed). So, this is useful info. With the Supra threaded until the shoulder stops it, there's no thread protruding ABOVE the ARP-supplied stud, and no cam interference--is what you're saying? And what washer are you using? Thanks!
With the Supra stud fully engaged to the shoulder, once you add the washer and torque the nut to spec, there is no threads of the stud protruding through the top of the nut.

Plane and Simple, WE NEED STUDS 6MM LONGER THAN SUPRA STUDS with that same theaded sections at each end.

Good luck getting this through the skulls at ARP.

With the Supra stud fully engaged to the shoulder, once you add the washer and torque the nut to spec, there is no threads of the stud protruding through the top of the nut.

Plane and Simple, WE NEED STUDS 6MM LONGER THAN SUPRA STUDS with that same theaded sections at each end.

Good luck getting this through the skulls at ARP.
Okay--what about the front two, is it, that need to clear the cams? Should they be shorter on the bottom? How much shorter? If I can give him these numbers, and he can mix and match off the shelf, maybe I can get some samples to try out (or have someone else try out). Worth a shot. Also, Ive read that some use the head bolt washers with these studs. What are the specs on those?

Last edited:
Okay--what about the front two, is it, that need to clear the cams? Should they be shorter on the bottom? How much shorter? If I can give him these numbers, and he can mix and match off the shelf, maybe I can get some samples to try out (or have someone else try out). Worth a shot. Also, Ive read that some use the head bolt washers with these studs. What are the specs on those?
no, the opel studs are longer by too much. They work fine except under the cams. There added length contacts the cam sprockets and requires trimming the front Two studs.

WE NEED SUPRA STUDS WITH THE SAME THREADED SECTIONS AT BOTH ENDS BUT 6MM LONGER.

I don’t know how to make it any clearer.

BOLD and Itallics maybe? :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom