1997 FZJ80 Shock question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last night, looking at the rig from behind, I noticed that left side of the rig seemed

little lower than the right. So, I went under and checked to see if there were any

leaks in shocks... no leaks... then I measured the length of each shock...

hmmm, left rear shock has droped about half of an inch compared to the right.

Will replacing shock correct the problem? do I need to replace coil springs too?

I am not looking at the lift at this moment so OEM parts will do.

Thanks in advance.

The shocks do not support the vehicle's weight. The cause of the lean is elsewhere.

Thanks for a quick reply. Where should I look other than springs and tires?

Has it been in an accident, is anything bent? Did it have a full tank of gas? Almost no cars sit perfectly level. Measure from the hub center to fender flare to determine the low corner/side, check it with a full tank and empty. To adjust OME makes trim packers that go on the top of the springs to level the truck.

Did you do a sharp right turn into the parking spot where you were looking at the back end of the truck? If so that can cause a lean, especially in older springs. It's not uncommon to see vehicles lean to the driver's side in any case. The extra consistant weight of the driver + controls tends to make things lean that way. OME springs have caused confusion over the years by being marked in different ways. Bottom line is the stiffer springs go on the drivers side (either right or left). In your case, if the vehicle has a bit of a lean when at rest, the only way I know to fix it is to go for new springs.

No accidents and no bents.. just a bit of a lean when at rest. I will closely measure what you have

recommended... is replacing spring hard on LC? It's my first 80 ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom