1996 Land Cruiser EV Conversion - EVJ80 Project (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Actually I have been following this thread and thought that you would be able to help me understand where we are with the technology. For me I was hoping for a direct comparison of a worst case scenario. When I design something I evaluate it against the worst case scenario to understand it’s potential. At least that is what I do. That way when improvements are made I get a better understanding of its impact.

It wasn’t intended to be snarky
A more fair comparison for this truck would be a rock buggy or built trail truck that gets trailered to the trailhead and driven to work on a Friday for fun. To really start competing with an ICE SUV at everything else it needs 4x or more battery capacity.

That's amazing!

Congrats!

We need videos!
Removed: missed a page there.... My bad!

The giggles of you and your buddies are priceless!

Last edited:
I won't have much to update for a little while as I'm moving out of my shop and doing Christmas and New Years etc but I don't think I posted these photos of the battery box so I thought I'd post them. I thought the stencil was cool :cool: Will do a custom stencil with the battery capacity on top I think.

k8RxfRm.jpg

OuSmZFm.jpg

dy04Hof.jpg

ax5Hjcr.jpg

And my buddy Josh did a great job cutting out a slot for the Blackbox shifter:

xDm6wDt.jpg

A more fair comparison for this truck would be a rock buggy or built trail truck that gets trailered to the trailhead and driven to work on a Friday for fun. To really start competing with an ICE SUV at everything else it needs 4x or more battery capacity.
Prior to my question I was in Brooklyn NY with my son waiting outside in line at a Ramen restaurant. Parked out front were 2 scooters used for delivery’s. Two guys came out and prepared for their run. First guy started his scooter and took off. Second guy just took off silently. A few minutes later another random delivery guy drove past, silently. So it would seem that two out of three delivery drivers in Brooklyn NY prefer EVs. Hope your trip to Moab is enjoyable.

Ever think of putting the inline 6 valve cover on yout battery box?

Curious, why not use a part time tc and increase your power/range? Just cause you had that one already?

Curious, why not use a part time tc and increase your power/range? Just cause you had that one already?
Yeah this is what I have so I'm using it. Part-time is dubious efficiency gain anyway I think. The primary purpose of this truck is off-roading so full time 4WD is good enough. Currently my CDL is open with no way to activate it. I need to build a custom circuit for that.

I was able to drive my electric land cruiser onto my trailer which was a big goal of mine so I could move at the end of this year. Mission Accomplished!

Driving up the ramps onto the deck I found out that the electric drivetrain in it's current form is going to pose some problems off-road.

Firstly, I had to use quite a bit of pedal to get going up the ramps from a stop. Once there was some forward motion then there was plenty of power but the initial go was underwhelming.

Secondly, the Resolve-EV controller does not allow any throttle input when the brake is pressed. This is a safety feature to prevent a runaway vehicle, but on the angle of my trailer it was causing problems. I was inching up the trailer ramps slowly like normal but as the vehicle comes to a stop the regen braking disappears and there is nothing to stop the truck from just rolling backwards. The only way I could get going was to hold my parking brake (which doesn't work well) and then just get on the throttle as fast as possible after releasing the brake pedal. This is definitely no good for off-road driving, it could even be dangerous.

I was in high-low (high range t-case, low range Blackbox) so I still have additional gear reduction to use but this was a good experiment.

I'm going to ask Isak as Resolve-EV to see if there is a software update that could address this. Also I could make a simple switch that would disconnect the brake input from the Resolve-EV. It really is only needed to switch from Neutral to Drive or Reverse so I don't foresee a problem with a switch like that.

Also the Resolve-EV controller allows one-pedal driving so it does not creep forward from a stop like the LEAF. It's personal preference and for an onroad vehicle I think I would prefer it, but for off-road driving I definitely want that creep back. I also prefer automatic transmissions to manual transmissions when off-road for the same reason even though I much prefer manual onroad.

Some minor teething issues I'll figure out one way or the other.

PXL_20211229_230242657.jpg

I was able to drive my electric land cruiser onto my trailer which was a big goal of mine so I could move at the end of this year. Mission Accomplished!

Driving up the ramps onto the deck I found out that the electric drivetrain in it's current form is going to pose some problems off-road.

Firstly, I had to use quite a bit of pedal to get going up the ramps from a stop. Once there was some forward motion then there was plenty of power but the initial go was underwhelming.

Secondly, the Resolve-EV controller does not allow any throttle input when the brake is pressed. This is a safety feature to prevent a runaway vehicle, but on the angle of my trailer it was causing problems. I was inching up the trailer ramps slowly like normal but as the vehicle comes to a stop the regen braking disappears and there is nothing to stop the truck from just rolling backwards. The only way I could get going was to hold my parking brake (which doesn't work well) and then just get on the throttle as fast as possible after releasing the brake pedal. This is definitely no good for off-road driving, it could even be dangerous.

I was in high-low (high range t-case, low range Blackbox) so I still have additional gear reduction to use but this was a good experiment.

I'm going to ask Isak as Resolve-EV to see if there is a software update that could address this. Also I could make a simple switch that would disconnect the brake input from the Resolve-EV. It really is only needed to switch from Neutral to Drive or Reverse so I don't foresee a problem with a switch like that.

Also the Resolve-EV controller allows one-pedal driving so it does not creep forward from a stop like the LEAF. It's personal preference and for an onroad vehicle I think I would prefer it, but for off-road driving I definitely want that creep back. I also prefer automatic transmissions to manual transmissions when off-road for the same reason even though I much prefer manual onroad.

View attachment 2880176
Great info/feed back, thank you. Happy New Year.

View attachment 2880176
I may have missed this but you did confirm that your center diff is locked while you’re driving in high range? If not and you’re not running a front diff then your issue is the cdl slipping.

Congrats on a daring project! - knew you could do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom