1996 Land Cruiser EV Conversion - EVJ80 Project (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It runs!!!! It rruuunnnnsss!!! We just took it in a joy ride around the block! 45mph was easy. It is definitely not slow! IT WORKS!!!!!!

o24CTWi.jpeg
You should upload a vid to YouTube!

That is so cool man! Congrats on getting it running.

What are your plans for the rest of the build?

It was difficult to follow what happened during the test drive; at one point it appeared you lost power after shifting the transfer case?? Were both driveshafts installed during the test drive?

It was difficult to follow what happened during the test drive; at one point it appeared you lost power after shifting the transfer case?? Were both driveshafts installed during the test drive?
Sounded to me like in high range it has no power to move the thing. So hes running low in either the black box or transfer and high in the other. High in both wont move if i heard right.

@Grandlooser got it right, we were experimenting with the t-case. Both driveshafts are hooked up lol.

That is so cool man! Congrats on getting it running.

What are your plans for the rest of the build?
It needs a lot of work still. Cooling system, brake booster, t-case cooler, put a hood on it, etc etc. My goal is to take it to Cruise Moab 2022 so my focus now will be getting it reliable and tough enough to do that.

FWIW. Reason I asked about the driveshafts (for those that aren't aware of this); if one shaft has been removed and the transfer case still has the viscous coupler and the CDL is not locked (transfer in HI), the transfer case/VC will slip and the vehicle may feel like the transmission is slipping with the vehicle not moving much. When the transfer case is shifted into LO that locks the CDL so no slipping will occur due to the viscous coupler.

Last edited:
I personally struggle with how an EV would perform against a gas car and since you mentioned about going to Moab I thought maybe you could theorize what my drive would be like in your truck. This isn’t meant to bash EVs or your build, just as a helpful comparison of where the technology is right now.

I leave for Moab 5:00pm on Friday and drive straight for 26 hours and end up in North Platte Nebraska for the night. We then finish the drive the next morning to Moab which is another 12 hour drive.

This puts us in camp Sunday around 6:00pm.

The total mileage is 2345.

Let’s assume ideal infrastructure and charging times.

@landtank I think for this trip he is trailering it there if i remember correctly. Might be easier for him to compare which routes he takes. I am not an expert but i would say the weight and wind coefficient being pretty different. I wouldn't expect it to have the range of a leaf on the open road. I would guess 40% is optimistic as far as expectations, however charge times would be the same since the battery is the same.

I'd speculate it can do well offroad, like the range and capability will surprise. On road performance probably the opposite. I believe trailering it to the event would be the right move, but I don't feel the electric part will be a handicap offroad whatsoever.

If I had one, I'd send you a 1fz valve cover sticker to slap on that battery pack.

As someone who works on hybrid and full Electric vehicles (MINIs) I really have enjoyed your build and seeing what it takes to get EV parts to work in other vehicles. Thank you for documenting your process so thoroughly.

A question though, do the Nissan batteries not require any cooling in the case? MINI Phevs use refrigerant and the EV uses coolant to cool the cells. Nothing on these?

Last edited:
@landtank it's obvious you just didn't even read the thread but just wanted to get in a snarky reply. I'm under no illusions that this vehicle is going to tackle the open road on a 2000 mile roadtrip :clap:

@PIP that's my though process too, I think it should actually go further on the trail than on the roads just because of the aero drag.

@JoeW No, the Nissan batteries have no active cooling and only some passive air vents under the car.

Tow rig:

uKjGUkL.jpg

@landtank it's obvious you just didn't even read the thread but just wanted to get in a snarky reply. I'm under no illusions that this vehicle is going to tackle the open road on a 2000 mile roadtrip :clap:
uKjGUkL.jpg
Actually I have been following this thread and thought that you would be able to help me understand where we are with the technology. For me I was hoping for a direct comparison of a worst case scenario. When I design something I evaluate it against the worst case scenario to understand it’s potential. At least that is what I do. That way when improvements are made I get a better understanding of its impact.

It wasn’t intended to be snarky

Personally, I'd be moving if I was interested in wheeling but had to drive 2000 miles to find a place to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom