1990 FJ62 Potential Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

22590FJ62

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey y'all,

I know that there are a lot of threads/posts about engine swaps for the FJ 60 series trucks...most of which I've found to be with General Motors engines. I used to drive a 2004 4Runner with the 4.7L (2UZ-FE) and I absolutely loved it. Has anyone considered going with the 4.7L for an engine swap, or possibly even the 5.7L that we find now in the current Tundra, Sequoia and Land Cruiser? I'm guessing that cost is the main factor for going with the GM engines but if cost is not as important as quality and longevity, how much more difficult would an actual Toyota V8 swap be?

If this post annoys any old timers and/or members that have been here for a while and seen all of the threads, I do apologize. This is my first week here, my first Land Cruiser, my 3rd Toyota and I wanna do it right. This will be a daily driver that needs to be dependable enough to take on a long road trip with mudding and camping involved. From my research this week, thanks to this website/forum, other plans for this vehicle is the ARB 3410100 Winch Bar, a Smittybilt X20 10k lb winch, the OME 50mm heavy/heavy lift (possibly with the spring reversal kit via Man-a-Fre), White Knuckle sliders, ARB lockers (front and rear RD142 full floating), and easily more stuff. I want this vehicle to last a million miles, so if I can build it correctly, I don't see a reason why a Toyota like this won't. The vehicle is paid for, it has a little over 100k miles on it and it's in good condition, from what I hear. My brother is gifting it to me so that I can get out of a loan I'm upside down on in my 2016 Chevy Colorado. As soon as I acquire the FJ, I'll take plenty of pictures of it and start posting them to this thread. I wanna track my build with your guidance.

Again, any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

--22590FJ62

Anything is possible as long as you have a fat bank account doesn't sound like you do if you can't afford the vehicle you have now.

Anything is possible as long as you have a fat bank account doesn't sound like you do if you can't afford the vehicle you have now.

Your assumption is decent but not entirely accurate. It's not that I can't afford it. It's that when I bought it, I was actively using large amounts of drugs and alcohol, my credit was bad and I found myself with a vehicle that doesn't have the good resale value it originally promised and I owe more than it's worth with a very high interest loan. Now that I've been sober for a while, I'm looking to consolidate debts and such. It's one of the things I'm getting out from under. I make plenty of money but I'm still working to fix the wreckage I created in 10 years of addiction.

That being said, I'm still looking for specific guidance as it pertains to the post and not to my financial situation...which is more than fine.

I talked to Slee about this years ago, and he suggested you swap in the drivetrain (engine/trans/xfer) from a 100 series into an FJ62, rather than just swapping in the engine. I'm sure it's a ton of work. You would want to find a wrecked 100 series (or a cheap one) to start with, presumably.

To me, the 4.7 isn't a torque or power monster, and if it's raw power you want, I would bump up to a GM engine. I was unimpressed with the '01 Tundra I drove with the 4.7. If you wound up the engine, it would deliver power, but that's not how I prefer to drive (unless it's my stock FJ62, which has to be floored everywhere you go ;)).

I talked to Slee about this years ago, and he suggested you swap in the drivetrain (engine/trans/xfer) from a 100 series into an FJ62, rather than just swapping in the engine. I'm sure it's a ton of work. You would want to find a wrecked 100 series (or a cheap one) to start with, presumably.

To me, the 4.7 isn't a torque or power monster, and if it's raw power you want, I would bump up to a GM engine. I was unimpressed with the '01 Tundra I drove with the 4.7. If you wound up the engine, it would deliver power, but that's not how I prefer to drive (unless it's my stock FJ62, which has to be floored everywhere you go ;)).
That's a great idea! I think the reason I like the 4.7 so much is because of the 4Runner I had it in previously...that 4Runner is about the same size and weight of the FJ62 I'm about to acquire. I also like it because it's still a Toyota product...and one that is very dependable. Raw power is not necessarily what I'm looking for as much as a tad bit more efficiency and a little bit more dependability. If it's raw power I was after, this thread would be more about the 5.7 3UR-FE that's in the current Land Cruiser. I'm not looking for massive acceleration ability as much as I am more power when I need it. I know that my current engine, brand new, produced 155HP/220TQ...the one that was in my 4Runner produced 235HP/320TQ which was plenty of power for what I needed it to do. Also, it ran at 285k miles like it did when I drove it off the lot brand new.

This guy is my hero

Look up “project x2” well worth the read. I’ll post a link if I find it.

I’ve done this swap into a very custom 40 project. Ton of work, not for the faint of heart...used 100 donor.

I intend to do it again soon in a 62 as soon as time allows.
Thank you, much! Sounds great.

This guy is my hero

I'm DEFINITELY going to check this out. That looks super awesome. Thanks for the guidance.

To my knowledge no one on here has done a 3UR swap.

That would be a sweet thing to see. Unfortunately, the LS can product much of the same results with regards to power for an ease of swap with the GM family.

To my knowledge no one on here has done a 3UR swap.

That would be a sweet thing to see. Unfortunately, the LS can product much of the same results with regards to power for an ease of swap with the GM family.
When you say 'ease of swap' what do you mean? Like plug and play? The LS would be the 5.3 from GM, correct? I know you can pick those up from JEGS for about half the price of the 4.7 from Xtreme Performance, but it's a GM engine and not a Toyota. I want something that's going to last, so if I have to pay more for that, that's fine as long as it's the last engine I have to put in there.

Yah, LS (Modern GM V8 platform) are easy to source in used/new condition.

Your going to come across more mechanic s who know those motors than Toyota based V8’s 2uz/3UR.

You can walk into any parts store across the country and say “ I need a part for a Chevy Tahoe/Suburban” and they will have it in the back/across town at another location. You won’t be stuck for days while parts come in.

GM V8’s have been swapped into everything imaginable and have a huge aftermarket source for product with regards to engine swaps.

There are even V8 LS swap vendors who have quite a bit of offf the shelf solutions for your GM/LS based cruiser swap needs (MosleyMotors and Valley Hybrids)

For 100-50x GM V8 Land cruisers there may be one Toyota V8.

It’s not that it’s impossible, it’s just that it’s not common, well documented, aftermarket supported, or cost effective for the $$$.

I’m with you.. I’d love a 2UZ or 3UR in my 60. Even a 1FZ with a @NLXTACY turbo kit to H55 would be really cool to do.. but when the time comes to swap the 2F out I’m not sure I’ll be cool enough to make any of those options happen.

Then again, the next LC motor combo will likely be a V6-Turbo / Hybrid model so maybe that will be the next dream scape engine swap..

Your going to come across more mechanic s who know those motors than Toyota based V8’s 2uz/3UR.

You can walk into any parts store across the country and say “ I need a part for a Chevy Tahoe/Suburban” and they will have it in the back/across town at another location. You won’t be stuck for days while parts come in.

GM V8’s have been swapped into everything imaginable and have a huge aftermarket source for product with regards to engine swaps.

There are even V8 LS swap vendors who have quite a bit of offf the shelf solutions for your GM/LS based cruiser swap needs (MosleyMotors and Valley Hybrids)

It’s not that it’s impossible, it’s just that it’s not common, well documented, aftermarket supported, or cost effective for the $$$.

I’m with you.. I’d love a 2UZ or 3UR in my 60. Even a 1FZ with a @NLXTACY turbo kit to H55 would be really cool to do.. but when the time comes to swap the 2F out I’m not sure I’ll be cool enough to make any of those options happen.

Then again, the next LC motor combo will likely be a V6-Turbo / Hybrid model so maybe that will be the next dream scape engine swap..

Just need someone to hack the ecu to defeat the immobilizer and security bits....which isn't a problem if you talk to the right person. V6 turbo would be real nice for smooth runnin.

Love this. I guess my main concerns, besides the engine not being a Toyota product, would be how well a GM engine would pair to the rest of the truck? Would it be an easier 'plug and play?' I would probably want a 5 or 6 speed transmission from GM as well...would I also change the transfer case? By the time I'm 'done', how much of the truck would still be a Toyota? I already realized in my original post that as soon as I go with bigger wheels and tires I'd need to re-gear...that's fine because that was a plan all along since the stock gears are pretty high. I also knew I'd need to do something to the transfer case because its stock gears are too high. My main thing is that I want this setup to last with as little maintenance as possible. That may be too much to ask for but the other 2 Toyotas I've owned ran flawlessly for many miles all with only simple things like oil and filter changes. Thanks!

Concern about an GM motor not being a Toyota product??? What’s the concern? You should consider cost/benefit. GM motors are proven. They’ll run reliably for several hundred thousand miles. So maybe your GM motor will go 275k and the toyota motor will go 300k. Is that enough of a difference to go through a huge nosebleed to figure things out yourself instead of relying on the huge knowledge base on GM conversions, and the extra cost? Look at those that do conversions for a living. They use GM. There’s a reason.... Make your decisions on sound economics not on Toyota purity dogma! Who knows? You might be bored or even dead by the time you hit 250k miles on your rig!

Concern about an GM motor not being a Toyota product??? What’s the concern? You should consider cost/benefit. GM motors are proven. They’ll run reliably for several hundred thousand miles. So maybe your GM motor will go 275k and the toyota motor will go 300k. Is that enough of a difference to go through a huge nosebleed to figure things out yourself instead of relying on the huge knowledge base on GM conversions, and the extra cost? Look at those that do conversions for a living. They use GM. There’s a reason.... Make your decisions on sound economics not on Toyota purity dogma! Who knows? You might be bored or even dead by the time you hit 250k miles on your rig!
Preferably bored and not so much dead. I’ll look into the GM conversions. I appreciate everyone’s help/guidance. I just really wanna make this count and do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom