Wanted 1989 BJ74 turbo grille badge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Jimmy @CenTXFJ60
Can you shoot me a pm with dimensions on that badge? First approach is going to be to laser cut the background, then cut the "turbo". That will allow me to powder coat the letters red and the background black. After that the two will laminate together. Pretty easy really. Still thinking on the fastening method.
Just saw this Pat. I’ll try to grab a measurement in the AM.

I am pretty sure it is off a HJ61 Jim. I can text you a pic of it later if you want to confirm.

For posterity, this one was removed from the front grill on a 1988 European market BJ71:View attachment 2000211

The back side:

View attachment 2000212

With rear bracket attached:

View attachment 2000213

Width is 132mm, height is 28mm. That's measuring max dimension of the black "outline" area.

Note that the badge on the rear door is the same graphic, but with different attaching hardware.

If anyone thinks they can repro this, I'm on board.
excellent pictures, thank you. I think the repro I am going to make will have to have the letters "tied" together for simplicity. The "turbo" part will get coated red and the tie area hand painted black. Then the background will be black. Should look pretty close. Also you can see in the picture there are really three levels to that badge but I think just two (turbo part, and base) will look good. I don't want to make these cost a ton of money.

As for the back, probably best to be able to order one with a threaded stud in the center for grilles, and just smooth to use 3m emblem tape for putting on the rear gate.

As for the back, probably best to be able to order one with a threaded stud in the center for grilles

If you do one with the threaded bit for the mounting screw, try and include the locating pin off to the side as well. At first I thought mine was broken, since it only has one pin, but that's correct. It's obvious when you install it on the grill--uses the same "clamp" piece as the "diesel" grill logo.

Once upon a time, a few years ago, when I had just purchased my BJ74, I am fairly certain @cruiserdan tracked down a repro badge for my truck.

I had some 3-D printed. I have a few at home in Albuquerque.......someplace:doh:

I’ll take one if you find your way back there someday

I will be down there the first week of July. I will try to remember to look for them. :)

Quick update. I am getting design work done to do these out of stainless. It may or may not be the best way but it works with my resources. This means they wont be super exact but really close. I will probably stop commenting here and start a thread in the Diesel/JDM section when they are done. Thanks Jimmy, @CenTXFJ60 for the dimensions.

Teaser pic sent to me today. Hopefully in hand tomorrow for some red and black powder coating. Definitely not exact but pretty sweet in stainless steel
15864.jpeg

Teaser pic sent to me today. Hopefully in hand tomorrow for some red and black powder coating. Definitely not exact but pretty sweet in stainless steel
View attachment 2043420
Looks pretty dam good to me. Looking forward to seeing the finished produce. Nice work Pat.

I’m in for multiples.

Wasn't that guy up North who was making the 3B turbo setups making them out of billet. His name escapes me but he had them on his website .. jefferson Machining of something

I’ll take one too please.

True story. Make a bunch, stick ‘em in a box and send them to Austin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom