1985 BJ40 vs 1979 FJ40 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All, I am debating between a 1985 BJ40 vs 1979 FJ40 – both looks good.
1985 Toyota BJ40 Diesel, 4cyl, LH drive, 4 speed, 4WD
vs
1979 FJ40 Land Cruiser Great mechanical condition – All 4 wheel low and high operate smooth and flawless.
I live in Boston (cold winters), will it impact the BJ40? Like starting trouble etc. I am not a mechanical guy, hence will have to take the car to the shop for any trouble. So knowing this, which one is better? Any thoughts?

If you are not a mechanical guy, I think the 79 fj40 would be a better choice. Hopefully you understand that these are 35 or 40 year old vehicles and will likely require more than periodic oil changes. Bet whichever one you get you will love it and will learn as much as you can and become more “mechanical”.
This forum is wonderful and most of the folks on it would be more than happy to help troubleshoot and solve any problems you may encounter.

If you are not a mechanical guy, I think the 79 fj40 would be a better choice. Hopefully you understand that these are 35 or 40 year old vehicles and will likely require more than periodic oil changes. Bet whichever one you get you will love it and will learn as much as you can and become more “mechanical”.
This forum is wonderful and most of the folks on it would be more than happy to help troubleshoot and solve any problems you may encounter.
Thanks thaja.

There are not too many good places these days to bring older diesel trucks... you do have some local cruiser heads there either way

Wally moses does work on anything cruiser including diesel he is in Bennington vt area

The 85’ is an interesting truck ... it would be an import ... and 85’ was the last year for the bj40 and ended early like a month into the new model year or something like that... 9/84’ and sold them to end them afaik

Do you know where the bj40 came in from?

Either way ... when I lived in Boston I hated no power steering

I did that with Wally the year I moved there ... you need ps for living in bean town

Where are you? In Boston

Did you check out Yankee toys club yet... they are your local TLCA club there

Is the BJ40 twelve or twenty four volt? The BJ40 was never imported to the US and most markets switched to the BJ42 8/80 including Canada. If twelve volts will be harder to start than twenty four volt in cold weather. If made after 10/84 was probably not made in Japan.

Thank you all so very much. I will ask the dealer for more information. I live in the city, hence power steering will be nice.

neither are worth the money that they are asking.
the bj is a rust bucket lipstick pig and the other one has some sort of home made or aftermarket rear 3/4 tub.

even if you get one in perfect shape, the magnesium chloride brine mass puts on the road in the winter will eat it in short order....even just road salt will show no mercy.

Thanks Brian. Search continues.

May be I will open my options to a Land rover Defender as well.

Continue to ask questions, and evaluate the recommendations you get. Don't be in a hurry. Spend some time reading what others on here have bought, the problems they encountered, what they have gone through fixing and restoring. Actually go look and drive a few; learn to recognize the problem areas.

There are some honest, experienced folks here on Mud who are respected by most of us. I would buy from them rather than trust a dealer. And like what was already said, since you don't live in a dry state, don't risk putting your truck on a salted road during winter.

Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom