1985 4runner. To run the steering stabiliser or not, that is the question (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1985 4runner with a 2-3" OME lift, Marlin high steer kit, and IFS steering box.
Ive been running it this way, with out the steering stabiliser for a few months. It steers better than it did in its stock form.
The Stabiliser was delayed due to covid and I finally recieved it, wondering if its worth installing
On the freeways it admittedly gets a lil sketch when at 75mph and I hit some bumps but besides that it drives great.
Whos running their steering stabiliser on a similar setup and where do you have it mounted too?

I tried it. Didn't see any difference. Same truck. Same Marlin hi-steer.

The less parallel your steering links are, the more you need it.
That being said, i ran without a stabilizer for a long time before HA, never thought it sketch. Especially after driving lifted push pull setup.

I thought all '80s trucks had to have two steering stabilizers. Boots mandatory, chrome = extra points.

I thought all '80s trucks had to have two steering stabilizers. Boots mandatory, chrome = extra points.
The good old days. It was all about the tubes. Four shocks up front. Four shocks in the back. Double steering stabilizers. And of course "kicker" shocks on the rear springs. From the 1997 Downey Catalog.

front shocks.jpg

rear shocks.jpg

stabil.jpg

Kicker shocks.jpg

Ive got a similar set up also no stabilizer. The hydraulic fluid and tight steering components should keep er under control.

How does a steering stabilizer work?

Neutral rebound and is valved for compression in both directions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom