1982 40 Flood Victim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That would be a good deal.

Thats an awesome deal, probably just needs taken apart, cleaned up, and put back together. Even has factory mat and some remnants of air conditioning.

Fill plug is missing from the valve cover. Good chance the engine is full of water. Probably a complete rebuild. Wiring will also be a issue as the rest of the running gear
Would.plan a complete frame off. It will also always the CarFax showing the damage that will hurt value. Not saying no one should buy just what to expect.

Looks like someone wanted to collect some insurance. I bet the oil cap being removed was intentional. Does look like a deal at 2500

The oil cap is nothing more than a rubber plug that doesn't fit that tight. By the surface rust on the air cleaner think the engine was under water. Plug could had just popped out. Unless the owner had a stated value policy could have sold it more then a insurance company would offer. This is not like a new vehicle going down in value these are going up. People who would damage something on purpose is because they owe more than it worth. I'm sure the owner was sick but also realized it would take a lot to bring it back to pre damage condition and then would still have a salvage title. Personally would have taken the money and then bought it back.

chances are by the end of the auction it will be double the 2500 current price. also the date hasn't even been set yet so who knows when it will go up on the block.
and don't forget about all the extra Copart fees.

The oil cap is nothing more than a rubber plug that doesn't fit that tight. By the surface rust on the air cleaner think the engine was under water. Plug could had just popped out. Unless the owner had a stated value policy could have sold it more then a insurance company would offer. This is not like a new vehicle going down in value these are going up. People who would damage something on purpose is because they owe more than it worth. I'm sure the owner was sick but also realized it would take a lot to bring it back to pre damage condition and then would still have a salvage title. Personally would have taken the money and then bought it back.

Take a closer look at this picture and it appears the "water line" was indicated on the tub. Not sure if this is the same height as the valve cove oil fill ?

water line.jpg

So somebody bailed on their old faithful 40 just because it got a little water in it and lost it to the insurance company? Wonder how much the insurance co forked out. They lost their Cruiser but can they replace it?

Take a closer look at this picture and it appears the "water line" was indicated on the tub. Not sure if this is the same height as the valve cove oil fill ?

View attachment 1558798

I see that but do not see marks on the tub to back that up. The air cleaner had water puddled on it. Face on the speedometer looks like it was full of water. No water line. Same with glove box doors. The axles, transmission and transfer were under water. This was not just a water crossing gone wrong where it was in and out. Then everything was addressed pretty quick. This sat in water for who knows how long. Nice looking cruiser if but if a complete frame off isn't done by rebuilding everything will be chasing gremlins forever. CarFax will show it was totaled because of flood damage. Unlike the pre 81 with shorter VIN this history will always be there. A few years back a member sold a 82 at one of the big auctions. Sold for less than he thought and believe the previous accident on CarFax hurt the value.

So somebody bailed on their old faithful 40 just because it got a little water in it and lost it to the insurance company? Wonder how much the insurance co forked out. They lost their Cruiser but can they replace it?

Guess everybody's idea of a little water is different. Maybe bailed on his cruiser because it made sense. No way a insurance would not total this cruiser. Owner had two choices, put in a claim and have it totaled. Or not put in a claim and rebuild it out of his own pocket.

Heck, I've driven into streams that deep and driven it out the other side. It's worth that much even if the drivetrain needed to be replaced. I'd go for it if I was anywhere near Texas.

Did 82s come with PS but no AC?

yes starting in 79 you could get PS only or PS and A/C in the US market. Never saw a US market rig with A/C and no PS.

Heck, I've driven into streams that deep and driven it out the other side. It's worth that much even if the drivetrain needed to be replaced. I'd go for it if I was anywhere near Texas.

Because it's in Texas my guess it wasn't driven into a stream but parked and flooded when hurricane Harvey hit Texas. If you want to know how bad it is drive a FJ40 into a stream above the hood and let sit there for a week. Then pull it out and let sit at least another week before doing anything. Early sixties were simple and no electronics. Sitting that long underwater a good chance the running gear filled with water thru breathers. It's ashame since it looks like a rust free cruiser. Worse part about it is the salvage title that unlike everything else can never be repaired.

if you need a good body even at $4000-5000 it would be a decent buy. seats looked good, front floormat, steering wheel, PS and steering shaft, fenders , bib, big pattern knuckles, frame glove box door, wiring harness? windshield frame, gas tank suction, rear axle housing, trans crossmember, etc. etc.

scrap the motor, trans, and transfer

lots of good parts and lots of scrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom