Builds 1978 FJ40. Waking up the ol’ girl! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Had a heckuva time getting this WARN apart. I don’t think it’s been serviced since 1978. Had to get out the big hammer and torch which scared me a little bit with the aluminum housing. The brake was a bear to get off the shaft and the needle bearing exploded when I tried to punch it out. Now the outer race is still stuck. I was thinking maybe if I took a hacksaw blade and cut it in a couple spots being very careful not to score the winch housing? I love having a clean workspace....once a project starts though, it’s always a disaster! Oh check out these ball bearings. Think I should replace? 😀

A6127C15-FCE6-4EF4-A3A0-C4CC4D6343EC.jpeg

F2429AD9-B74A-4CDB-8343-EFD93487F323.jpeg

A21FE689-EDD3-458E-BE99-715C7773AA2E.jpeg

3EBF01C0-A521-48C4-AA52-7A2234CD552D.jpeg

Well it’s been awhile. It’s been a fun six months driving my 40. Now it’s time to park it and addressed the rust! With all the politics going down lately my wife told me I need another project. I think she’s tired of my rants! So I went out to the shop and started taking it apart.. very spur of the moment. I tend to do that. Also spent a few hours driving it around without the top with my kids. That was fun but cold! Now I’m starting to worry what I’ve gotten myself into. So here’s the plan...

Welding.. yep, going to have to learn how to do that! Looks easy on YouTube! 😁. There’s a local guy that sells welders and gives instruction as well so going to take a few classes from him with my daughter. I’ve been doing a ton of research and I think I’m going to end up going with CCOT steel. They seem to be a little more finished than the other competitors… From what I’ve heard, they all have their pluses and minuses.

Attached are a few photos of what I’m in for. Pretty much a full tub rebuild and floor pans as well. I thought about just patching the holes in the front floor but in the long run, I think I’d rather just replace them. It’s going to be a little spendy but still cheaper than going the full half tub. I’ve been looking for a while and can’t find anything reasonable for sale.

Welding has been something I wanted to learn for a long time so I’m actually pretty excited for the project... that will probably change in a couple months!

So, hoping to tap into the knowledge of this forum and be back on the road by mid summer! May be optimistic.

407FBFB1-307F-46A1-973D-BC207AF74A19.jpeg

4CA76D15-BF25-497E-BB18-A33DFA9FC07C.jpeg

E3A372AD-1F01-49CB-94E8-D1418A057D9E.jpeg

Slowly making some progress. Got the body braced and started cutting some rust out. It’s temping to keep going but I’m going to do one panel at a time to retain what little structure there is and also to see how it goes back together.

I bought a welder (Miller 211) and the guy gave my daughter and I a couple hour lesson. Now learning via YouTube and mistakes. I’ve pretty much welded on anything metal I could find around the house. It’s pretty fun and I’m proud to say my daughter is better than me. Definitely not as easy as I thought it would be.

FA2E74B9-6A97-4BB4-B491-CDB4A6B0BE19.jpeg

8A7ECF85-3ADB-44F0-BCAF-36F8BB068FA1.jpeg

Ordered a bunch of panels. Firewall pans, floor pans and rear bed from Real Steel. Rear sill, full quarter panels, wheel wells and fenders from CCOT. Was hoping to use and patch the front fenders but as I started trying to clean them up I realize that they were full of Bondo so added fenders to the list. Ouch $$. I keep telling myself that I’m at least even or maybe even ahead if I had to sell....delusional. 😁

I decided to start on the fuel tank well since it will be hidden. Just one hole in the corner. Was able to fabricate a patch using a torch, hammer and my bench vise. I think it turned out pretty good. Blew through more than a few spots welding it. I’m hoping to have it figured out before the quarter panels. Definitely going to have to load up on flap disc‘s and grinding wheels and rounded up some more sheet metal to practice on.

51B26A8A-309A-446A-9FFB-2D63A57CA457.jpeg

EA63DA03-5CCB-4998-8B59-29BFCDF994F0.jpeg

71D82995-8672-43B4-8BE3-16A494412E19.jpeg

F98ED54C-55BF-43F5-8132-5649D3192950.jpeg

EB9A8D36-E243-470E-9DAC-1EA770123AF5.jpeg

Received the firewall pieces from Real Steel. Good quality and fit was pretty good. Took me most the day to clean out the old pan. Tricky to remove in places. Also the rust was so bad I couldn’t see where any of the spot welds were. Learned a lesson with primer. Figured since it was weld through I might as well spray the whole panel and be done with it...it didn’t weld very clean. Spattered all over. I think in the future I will stick with clean metal and only prime the areas I won’t be able to get to after it’s welded in place. I think that’s what I should’ve done in the first place. Pretty happy with how it turned out. You can definitely see the seam but once the sound deadener is over it you’ll never know.

42CA79E6-F4F1-4518-A715-5FCD766ADCAB.jpeg

78A15FE3-807E-4389-8F0B-738DF3BAEB1E.jpeg

2B5D7359-F336-40F8-8E10-1862FC1CFFC1.jpeg

So slowly starting to get a little better at this. I think having clean metal definitely helped with the welds as opposed to the weld through primer. Passenger side went in a little better. Happy with the results. I ended up having to cut off the bottom couple inches of the A pillar on both sides because of rust. I’ve got some 1/8 angle iron that fits perfect and wouldn’t see the difference in thickness from the backside. Thinking I might go with that. Will wait till the rest of the floor pans are in. That’s going to be it for now until the rest of the panels arrive. Not really sure what kind of timeframe for those. Maybe I’ll try to organize my shop. For those of you with large workspaces… Count your blessings!

3C4E4F7B-0676-4691-BF53-B844C9C906B3.jpeg

645E8314-76DA-4882-BE11-F3A2A0C6D924.jpeg

2462D50F-3596-418E-88C3-921A35BBE451.jpeg

0D8ADDD1-A911-4B34-A3CC-7A8248A69FF0.jpeg

Last edited:
Clean everything off as much as you can. It will only make it easier. Torch angle and distance are also really big. Those welds don't look bad at all. A smaller gap between pieces will also help a ton for getting clean welds. Do you clean the nozzle of the torch a lot? Once enough spatter builds up in it, it messes with the flow of the shielding gas enough it will add porosity to the weld. It took me a while to figure that one out. Looking good!

Last edited:
Clean everything off as much as you can. It will only make it easier. Torch angle and distance are also really big. Those welds don't look bad at all. A smaller gap between pieces will also help a ton for getting clean welds. Do you clean the nozzle of the torch a lot? Once enough spatter builds up in it, it nesses with the flow of the shielding gas enough it will add porosity to the weld. It took me a while to figure that one out. Looking good!
Thanks! After reading I went out and looked at the nozzle. It’s a huge mess! Haha. Ok, will be cleaning more often. Excellent tip. As I said, had a quick lesson then just watching YouTube and practicing. I’m open to all suggestions. The gap on the fuel tank well patch was definitely too big… I trimmed about 100 times and then all of a sudden it was too small! 😩. This last floor pan went pretty well but I’m definitely a little worried about the grinding and finishing part on the places that matter. Also frustrating how you think you have a nice solid weld, get it all ground down and primer’d and when you shine a flashlight behind it you see all the pinholes…

Last edited:
Awesome job!! Keep up the good work. I too jumped in with both feet and still fill like I have a lot to learn especially in the welding category. I think the best way to learn is just keep doing it. I am enjoying following your build. I love seeing it get fixed up and back on the road!! Soon it will be good as new :)
I just painted the tub yesterday and looking forward to putting it back on the cassis today and bolting it down for the last time :)

MM

Last edited:
Awesome job!! Keep up the good work. I too jumped in with both feet and still fill like I have a lot to learn especially in the welding category. I think the best way to learn is just keep doing it. I am enjoying following your build. I love seeing it get fixed up and back on the road!! Soon it will be good as new :)
I just painted the tub yesterday and looking forward to putting it back on the cassis today and bolting it down for the last time :)

MM
Hey thanks! Been following your build as well. That blue you put on looks amazing. I’m so tempted to take the body off and do it right. I vowed I wouldn’t do that! This really was supposed to be just a quick fix of the rust and back on the road! Hoping I stick with that… Amazing how things change when you’re out in the shop and get a wild hair…

Hey thanks! Been following your build as well. That blue you put on looks amazing. I’m so tempted to take the body off and do it right. I vowed I wouldn’t do that! This really was supposed to be just a quick fix of the rust and back on the road! Hoping I stick with that… Amazing how things change when you’re out in the shop and get a wild hair…
Thanks! Don't take the body off if you don't have to!! I wanted to buy one like yours and fix it while we drive it, but this one was too good to pass up and the body was already off the frame. I can't wait to get this guy back on the road!! I put the body on the frame today for the last time :)

014.jpg

Thanks! Don't take the body off if you don't have to!! I wanted to buy one like yours and fix it while we drive it, but this one was too good to pass up and the body was already off the frame. I can't wait to get this guy back on the road!! I put the body on the frame today for the last time :)

View attachment 2620379
Wow! Looks so good. I always wanted blue but the Freeborn fell into my lap. You’re right about keeping it on the frame. Off would definitely make working on it and painting easier but I don’t think I have the time or energy for a frame off....I guess it will never be concours!

Wow! Looks so good. I always wanted blue but the Freeborn fell into my lap. You’re right about keeping it on the frame. Off would definitely make working on it and painting easier but I don’t think I have the time or energy for a frame off....I guess it will never be concours!
I pretty much like all the colors Toyota used for these FJ40s, but blue, red, white, and tan are my favorites. My step dad had a 1981 Red FJ40 when I was about 13 years old, and that was the first time I fell in love with these things. I only took me about 33 years later to get my own. I wish I had that 1981 now :)!

You know when you clean up your shop and all of a sudden you’re motivated to work on something? That or sit on your stool drinking a beer and just look at everything…

Well I started doing the stool thing when I couldn’t help noticing the gas tank cover sitting over on the shelf. Now that I’m a professional fabricator and welder (haha) I figured I ought to be able to fix that up right quick! The front of it had rusted out pretty bad. The rest of it looks good. Cut The rusty strip off and then fitted a new piece on. If I did this more often I might invest in a metal brake but I was able to pound out a 90° with my vice and a hammer. Started out thinking I would butt weld it but just the angle how it’s recessed it would’ve been difficult to grind so I just decided to lap it with a plug welds and welds along the seam. I’ll stick some seam sealer in there and paint it and it’ll be good enough for me!

Now time to call up the neighbors and see if anyone needs anything welded! 😂

0AE6AAFC-F324-4A3A-9A0F-B3EE89D58FD9.jpeg

3CB9FA93-1F9E-4B1D-977A-7FD6F8C51613.jpeg

3FE62FFA-1609-4549-B9D2-60EA28A67667.jpeg

7B19CD72-2146-4819-B5CC-8C7BECE951CC.jpeg

I pretty much like all the colors Toyota used for these FJ40s, but blue, red, white, and tan are my favorites. My step dad had a 1981 Red FJ40 when I was about 13 years old, and that was the first time I fell in love with these things. I only took me about 33 years later to get my own. I wish I had that 1981 now :)!
I was 30 years in between my FJ40s as well. Life and kids! Makes you appreciate it more now and gives you an excuse to be in the garage!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom