Builds 1978 FJ40. Waking up the ol’ girl! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EStein

SILVER Star
Threads
Well after lurking and drooling for years, I am excited to be starting my own build thread. This isn’t my first 40 but it might as well be. My first car at 15 was a blue ‘74 that had been rolled. My dad said he would match what I saved knowing I couldn’t save much! I saved up $300 bucks and talked the owner into selling it to me for $600. No top, or windshield frame. My friends and I worked on that thing and drove it with our ski goggles on. Cops never cared about those things back then in a small Southern Oregon logging town! I actually got it fixed up pretty nice and sold it in 1989. Regretted selling the day it drove off...

Finally 30 years later I decided it was time for another. Midlife crisis thing. I looked at a bunch and drove a couple. None really grabbed me and the ones that did sold so fast I missed out. I placed a want ad on Craigslist and actually got a decent response. A few weeks into it, I was contacted by a guy in Central Washington (the dry part) who had a ‘78 parked in his yard. His brother in law bought it in the mid 80s and one day in 2002, it stopped running. I’m not sue why but he rolled off to the side and there it sat until it was given to the most recent owner in 2014. He brought it home, got it running (bad ignition wire) drove it around the block and parked it in the back yard. Was going to turn it into a crawler or something but just never got to it. That’s when hecame across my ad.

He contacted me and sent photos. I’m not sure why but I was really intrigued by it and after a few weeks of emails and photos, I pretty much agreed to buy it. Saturday I rented a uhaul trailer and drove 5 hours north to pick it up....and that’s the story.

When I first started seriously looking, I decided I wouldn’t buy anything with rust issues. Well this one has major rust issues! I also wanted one that ran pretty well. This one had been started once in 20 years! I wanted original paint. Well....haha! It’s mine now and I love it. My daughter and I will get this back on the road and someday pass it on to her. And I’d better become a damn good welder!

So here’s what we’ve got to work with. I’m pretty decent mechanically but I’m no mechanic! I’m looking forward to working and learning! With the wealth of knowledge on this forum, it’s going to be Okay!

when I picked her up...

CD424F9F-707F-46DA-9F5E-9C6A1BADD03C.jpeg

C38DAE02-CAF5-46C7-B8C2-1887A54F5822.jpeg

04D895A6-E70D-463F-A4B2-9F0DCF21759B.jpeg

E24A759A-374F-4D2F-906A-602EDF714853.jpeg

9F8545E3-DA6F-468A-BB48-C4C71905B56A.jpeg

Last edited:
Got home late but wanted to get working on her so we pulled the plugs, put 1/4 cup of Marvels Mystery Oil in each cylinder and called it a night.
Today we got down to business. I’m pretty excited with my daughters level of interest. I let her go to town pulling off the air cleaner, pulling plugs, wires, battery tray...changed the oil, drained the fuel, and replaced fuel filter. Here are a few more pics of the condition...I’ve discovered more bondo than I would have liked...oh well.

so far...

New Battery, engine oil and filter, plugs and wires and after stripping 2 of the 4 screws, I got the bezel off. Prob will get it back to white before putting it back on.

Once I get it running the first order of business is tires, brakes (barely work), change all gear oil, water pump, thermostat, and hoses, new seat belts...just get it safe to drive.

anything else?

2E3EC29D-6B0E-4F42-9B29-020AD77872F7.jpeg

2014E678-02E9-42CE-B84E-082ECFB68095.jpeg

440E840A-2B75-49EF-BE9D-031D4AA0D3BD.jpeg

C2064E36-1227-45EE-B919-4CADAFE6EDC8.jpeg

37FEF963-F28C-4E75-97AE-E657C857B65B.jpeg

Last edited:
So it was a good day. Doesn’t run great but I took my family up and down my road a few times. It was a lot of fun. I was pretty happy that my gauges all worked....for about 2 minutes. Then they all went dead. I’ll try to figure that out tomorrow. Headlights and horn work. Couple turn signals work! Small victories. Was thinking I may send my carb down to Marks Off Road in Burbank...

I think the "build" will be given by the moderators.

The dash and ceiling looks pretty original

Great you got it running, have send you a pm about the Ramsey

How’s the steering?

Squat down by the driver’s door (door open) and reach up to the steering wheel. See how far you can turn it before the pitman arm on the steering box starts to move. That will give you an idea of how much freeplay there is in the steering box.

Contrary to what is commonly posted on the forum I do not recommend trying to adjust the freeplay on a 40+year old steering box without doing a tear down. Decades of condensation create rust inside the box which if left unattended damages parts that cannot be replaced.

Last edited:
Back to the paint. The color matches the U-haul trailer also !!! Amazing how these things sits for years in unknown conditions and start and run. Reminds me of old farm tractors back in South Dakota, sit for years and fire it up and use it for a day and park it again for another year or two. Take a serious look at the brakes.

How’s the steering?

Squat down by the driver’s door (door open) and reach up to the steering wheel. See how far you can turn it before the pitman arm on the steering box starts to move. That will give you an idea of how much freeplay there is in the steering box.

Contrary to what is commonly posted on the forum I do not recommend trying to adjust the freeplay on a 40+year old steering box without doing a tear down. Decades of condensation create rust inside the box which if left unattended damages parts that cannot be replaced.
Hey Mark. I’ve spent some time on your website. I was thinking of sending you my carburetor. Might include the steering box… It’s pretty sloppy. More than I remember from my old one. I’ll do the test this morn.

Back to the paint. The color matches the U-haul trailer also !!! Amazing how these things sits for years in unknown conditions and start and run. Reminds me of old farm tractors back in South Dakota, sit for years and fire it up and use it for a day and park it again for another year or two. Take a serious look at the brakes.
Oh the brakes are bad! The rear reservoir was completely empty. That is one of the first things I’m going to tackle.

I was completely floored by how fast it fired up. I wasn’t expecting that at all. Thought we would be cranking for minutes. It was seconds! 😁. Will get a hold of a gauge and do a compression test today

Last edited:
Hey Mark. I’ve spent some time on your website. I was thinking of sending you my carburetor. Might include the steering box… It’s pretty sloppy. More than I remember from my old one. I’ll do the test this morn.

Happy to do them both. Have @thorslc1977 steering box in the que right now...behind 3 carbs and another steering box!

Please ship separately. Carburetors are fragile.

And remember, I sell parts too!

Very cool to see you and your family having so much fun together. The engine sounds good:cheers:
Subscribed
Thanks! Getting it running for the first time was definitely a highlight for me. I think my daughter will remember that as well. i’m hoping her level of enthusiasm isn’t her secretly thinking it’s going to be hers to drive! That ain’t happening for a few years!

One of my favorite parts of a new cruiser is finding all the previous owner treasures hidden under seats.
Shell casings, cassette tapes, coins, mystery numbers, French fries.

good call on sending to Mark, I had one of his carbs, awesome.
I also bet you can get that crAppy paint off and back to oem in no time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom