1978 FJ40 Order of the Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone....After about a year of trolling and gawking at some awesome pictures and great threads, I’ve been inspired to tell my story, both an effort to document my build and make for good conversation.

First, a little back round... I had my first experience with a 40 back in 1992. I was a freshman at Colorado Mountain College in Steamboat Springs, CO. I’m from Indiana, so this laid back mountain life was a big change for me (Awesome experience)! One Saturday before ski season, there wasn’t much going on so we were all kind of new in the dorms and one local kid invited a few of us to go off roading /cruising/logging road adventuring. When I saw what he was driving, I was kind of taken away. It was a white jeep looking thing, that just had something about it. It had a hard top with ambulance style doors and parallel jump seats for the back seat. Well, I wasn’t really a car guy, but I did know it wasn’t a jeep (mainly because I had one waiting for me back in IN). Sure enough it was a Toyota Fj40. Something about the looks and the rareness of that thing just stuck with me.

Fast forward 22 years later...the internet, Facebook, twitter, etc. One of my “Facebook friends” posted a picture of a beautiful red jeep looking thing for sale. I recognized that look and realized, that’s a Toyota. Once I saw it I immediately had a memory of my buddies in CO. Here is the picture that sparked my current addiction..,..
992531_234700583349922_1904316614_n.jpg

About 5 months after initially seeing the picture I touched base with him to see if it was still for sale. Of course, as luck (or fate) would have it, still for sale. He explained to me how there is a strange “Cult like” following for these things and told me to google a little bit and see the values and what not. He also said, his uncle bought it new back in 1978 and it’s been in his family ever since. It has been sitting in his garage for the past 10 years or so. Well, it really looked good in the pictures. He told me the price and got it running for me.

Another strange fate like thing to this story is when he gave me directions to his house to come and look at it, his house was real close to mine, like less then a mile. The water pump was bad and the radiator was cracked, but man did it look good. His garage was one of those garages that everything was clean, and organized like a room in the house and just as much attention was given to the FJ. Since it had not been driven in so many years it was part of the garage!

He told me he had a hard top and doors for it as well, but did not know the condition of them since the doors were in his parents barn and the top had been sitting next to the barn for the last 15 years. I ended up buying it and trying to slowly drive it home that is to its new home. I made it, but when I got home it got up to temperature and radiator fluid spued out of the crack. Other then the rust colored mess, not a big deal. It did drive like a steamroller though due to the 15” wide Mickey Thompsons and no power steering.

When we went to pick up the top and doors from his parents house, they actually lived on the same street as me just a few houses down. Now, how strange is that that this cruiser and it parts have been sitting less then a mile from me for the last 15 years! Crazy!

Now I have already made some major changes to the cruiser, but I’m going to try and go through it and draw it out like I’m doing it as I write. I want to document the pictures and changes I've made and find this a great source for that, kind of like a therapy. I do have a ways to go to get her the way I want but I've got plenty of time.

The first items I intended to do were, Steps 1-3, replace the radiator, water pump, and get a power steering conversion. Then I would drive it around for the summer and go from there.

Here is some pictures of how it was when I got it. One thing that's been somewhat negative is it has a fiberglass body. This has caused some problems, but I believe I've turned it into a positive (other then value)
992531_234700583349922_1904316614_n.jpg
1368649_235306659955981_224683185_n.jpg
1278342_235306663289314_1116597315_n.jpg

Me Driving away. He sent me this pic later. Sure it was a sad day for him.
1372196_237595173060463_361538147_o.jpg

More to come.
Brian

Brian, great story and a beautiful 40 at that! Let me know if you have any questions during your repairs, I've been down this road a few times. I look forward to more pics.

Awesome. Keep em coming.

Great story, great truck !

Welcome to the Cult.

:cheers:

nice ... great colour ... so that's what an OEM air cleaner hose, not cracked to rat++++ looks like (mine's had it) and the wiring loom in place looks like ...
:cool:

Thanks, it feels good to get this all down on paper or….the cloud. I went ahead with my original plan and replaced the radiator, and water pump. I also added a the power steering conversion kit. Please note… When I say I, I mean a friend of mine, with some help from me. Still not very knowledgeable or good with mechanic's, but slowly learning.

After these repairs I believe she is road worthy and head out for a few errands around town. Well, even with the power steering this thing still drives like a steamroller. I live in a rural area so the roads are not always smooth and these tires really decide where I go. So my next step is going to be replace the wheels and tires. This was some what of a hard decision because the shiny Mickey Thompsons and shiny aluminum wheels were a big sell in the PO's pictures. I hastily went up to Discount Tire and picked out a new set and ended up selling my old set on ebay or craigslist. (once again when I say I, I mean my son sold my old set on ebay or craigslist). Below is a picture of the new tires and wheels.

IMAG0129.jpg

I couldn't find one with these tires with out the hard top and doors, so the weather must be getting colder. I bought it in Sept. of 2013 and really wanted to drive it through the winter. I was able to get the hard top and doors on, not sealed well, but on and really loved the way the hard top makes it look.

When putting the top on, I did have to do away with some of the PO's modifications which were cool, but… I planned to head a different direction with it. So, I took out his custom spare tire carrier and had to cut off his modification to the roll cage in order to get my somewhat rusted out top and doors on. With the help of some weatherstripping, silicone, and peel and seal, I believed I was ready for an Indiana winter. Now, this is not my daily driver, but I did plan to drive it a lot, which is another reason I had to remove the spare tire carrier in the back. The cruiser did not have any seating in back, and I have a fairly large family. If I intended to drive it as much as I wanted, I was going to have to put a back seat or seats in so I could use it running the family / kids around. The seats are going to be my next project, step 4.
Thanks for your input, step 4 to come soon.
Brian

A very nice start! so the tub is fiberglass?

Thanks, Yes the tub is fiberglass. Before I purchased the 40 I did not do much research. I probably should have because 90% of what I've read about tub selection, fiberglass is a negative. Although, the point I am know in my build the fact that it is fiberglass is not an issue and could be a plus as far as, no rust problems. At least that's what I'll tell myself.

Well step 4 was going to be the seats, but before I could get started on that my friend who was helping me was also doing some research online and came across ceramic headers. He told me about the site and said I should put them on mine. I checked out the site and told him "Yes, those look real nice", apparently he took the "yes" as let's do it and a week later I get this heavy package delivered to my door from Man-A-Free! Here is a couple pic's of the new set up under the hood
20140906_170439.jpg
20140906_170453.jpg

Finally, after this surprise step was done, I was able to get to the seats. I removed the stock front seats which under 3 layers of seat covers were a pair of very used and worn out seats. At this point I'm thinking about my options knowing how keeping things as original as possible is the best option, but also thinking I already have a fiberglass tub and modified engine, why not save myself a lot of leg work getting these old seats refurbished (yes, I was scared) and get myself the Bestop Bucket seats from CCOT. I also was having a tough time locating some jump seats for the back and after doing some research, kind of decided that a bench seat would be better, and possibly safer. Yes, I may have been telling myself that, just because I was not having luck finding the jump seats, and ordering the bench seat from CCOT was so easy. After some fun demo work removing the seats, and carpet that the PO had installed on the inside of the tub, I cleaned the tub real good and installed some bed liner through out and then installed my seats. The seats fit great. Front seats brackets all lined up where the existing brackets were and the back seat fit snuggly between the wheel wells with the mounts even lining up with the frame mounting holes. That was a bonus because the fiberglass tub was not attached to the frame real well when I got it. It was attached, but the body lift was supported by wood. It was definitely custom. Seeing the way the tub was attached made me a little nervous and gave me another project. Here are some pic's of the new seats.
IMAG0530.jpg
IMAG0531.jpg
IMAG0552.jpg
IMAG0542.jpg
IMAG0540.jpg
IMAG0539.jpg

I get through the winter with my old rusted out top and doors. I had to get some red duct tape to both cover some of the rust on the sides of the top for appearance and help hold the top together. Not pretty but it did end up being my daily driver for a few weeks while we had some other car issues going on. During the winter I realized a few things.

1. I really like the nostalgia of these hard tops. The curved windows, ambulance doors etc.. But this top and doors are probably to rusted out to fix and get the quality I want. It's time to start searching for a top and or options for a top. This lead me to posting a Want add on Mud.

2. Although I thought this 40 photographed well, after spending time in the cab and up close to it, many defects became more clear. Such as the paint was touched up in some areas and did not match, the shades of the door paint did not match the body, the inside of the doors and cab, paint was chipping, cuts in the dash were oversized, the back tailgate was customized and falling apart. Basically I had a 40 that looked good from 40 feet away, but up close was another story. I figured at least I had a canvas to work from.

3. The tires and wheels I hastily purchased were too big and not giving me the look I wanted.

Summer came, so I removed the top and doors, determined to find a new top before next winter. I also decide to bite the bullet and get a new set of steelies and smaller tires. My son has a 2007 FJ Cruiser and was all about reaping the rewards of my hasty decision, so he is now driving around with a nice new set of wheels and tires. Here are some photos of how it looked for the summer of 2014. I was way more content with the new look, but still determined to get the quality of the paint and body taken care of in the near future.

20140919_161805.jpg
20140919_164529.jpg
20140919_164518.jpg

Next step is sorting through what I can salvage on my top and finding / piecing together a top, doors, and ambulance doors.

Looks SO much better with stock wheels and hubcaps!

What size were the bling-bling wheels and tires? What size are on it now?
Bling Bling were 35 x 12.5 on 17" wheels, and now it has 31 x 10.5 x 15. Only downfall is I've lost about 5-10 top mph. I do have an interest in widening the wheel and putting 33 x 12.5 x 15 on, but not sure how to go about that yet or where to source it.

Bling Bling were 35 x 12.5 on 17" wheels, and now it has 31 x 10.5 x 15. Only downfall is I've lost about 5-10 top mph. I do have an interest in widening the wheel and putting 33 x 12.5 x 15 on, but not sure how to go about that yet or where to source it.

What was highway speed before? what is it now?

What was highway speed before? what is it now?
Of course my speedo was off before, so I had my gps in to check speeds, and my highest speed on the highway was 67mph. I was pretty well floored and had things going my way. I could get to 65 regardless, but it did take a little while. Now, I haven't checked with gps, but I believe 60 is probably my top speed. I will have to get the gps out and check. I may look into doing something in the future to reach those higher speeds. I'd love to be able to reach 70mph, but would be happy with 65, so I don't have to avoid the highway. I plan to take it on some sort of an adventure up to Michigan this year, possibly do some fishing, with or without the higher speeds. If I could get those higher speeds, I'd also like to take an adventure out west in it someday.

Salvaging a top and doors. Towards the end of summer 2014 disassembled my hard top to see what all was salvageable. The top was good along with all the misc. header, gutter pieces, and the glass was good other then that the sides were pretty much shot with rust. I decided I needed to locate top sides, both doors, ambulance doors and a spare tire carrier.
After some online research, I found a place in Ridgeville, IN called Country Cruisers. He has an Ebay store but since he was relatively close to my location I set up a time with him to check out his inventory. I'm not exactly sure what my original expectation was driving over to his store, but it definitely was not what I expected. He had a big barn full of metal and misc. pieces / parts to both Land Cruisers and Scouts. To the untrained eye you might think of it as a junk yard, but really he had quite a collection of valuable parts ready to be brought back to life with a little TLC. I filled up my trailer with everything I was looking for to assemble a salvageable top, new (to me) doors, new (to me) ambulance doors, and even a spare tire carrier.
I get my trailer full of goods home, feeling quite proud of my find and the thought of being one step closer to having a nice hard top this winter. Well, remember how I said to the untrained eye it looked like a junk yard, apparently my wife's eye is untrained, and she quickly points out, not only did I bring home a trailer full of junk, but I also paid good $$ for it! Of course, she really doesn't know how much $$ and she can't see the same vision I have in my head of the soon to be beautiful 40! Now I know what Monet or another artist felt like when people ( including myself ) don't understand their art work. Anyways this was a big step, next I need to find a body shop who can see my vision and ready to take on a new project. Below are some pics of the pieces I salvaged.

20140921_164923.jpg
20140921_164857.jpg
20140921_164740.jpg
20140921_164651.jpg

After talking to a few friends and local body shops, I decided to go to Downtown Autobody Specialties. We went over my budget (literally) and time frame, then strike a deal. The next day I go home and gather my 40, and all my pieces parts I've collected for it (junk), and bring it all back to Downtown Autobody where over the next few months, it will get brought back to life. Below is a collection of pictures getting it ready for paint. It seemed like most all of the parts required a great amount of effort getting them ready for paint. Some parts, old rusted areas were removed and new sheet metal installed. I was very happy with the attention to detail from the guys at the shop. It was neat to see the attitudes, kind of change throughout the months of work they put in. It seemed like at first, it kind of started out as a project for some crazy customer, who would be better off, to just go over to the Jeep dealer and buy a new Wrangler, then put all this effort and $$ into this Toyota. Well as the project progressed and they really got to see some of the unique details of the 40, along with the amount of information they found from research they had to put in on the web, this project became very important to them.

20141020_110221.jpg
20141030_104502.jpg

20141030_104823.jpg
20141030_104447.jpg
20141020_110709.jpg
20141020_110626.jpg

20141020_111201.jpg

20141204_134123.jpg

20141120_112328.jpg

20141120_112254.jpg

20141120_111524.jpg

Next Step deciding on the color. Things are moving along great and excitement is building...

Its such a nice feeling when major progress is made and things like the rust holes are gone. It looks great! Congrats:beer:

Funny how this vehicles get peoples attention. My body guy was doing the work at home and he mentioned it to someone at work when word spread at his work people wanted to see it and had stories about their interactions with them. He also mentioned he had a old timer walk by and say "i havent seen one of those in years, those motors are bullet proof" its neat to hear stuff like that.
By the time he was done with the first round of work he was wanting to tackle more on it.
Be careful telling the other half on prices, ive got to keep up for what i told her they really cost. Reminds me of a guy I knew years back he would text himself while out on a friday drinking so he could remember what he did and told people when he had drank so he could be true to his word haha.

anyway cool cruiser the progress is amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom