1975 - No ambulance Doors??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi. I just bought a 1975. It was made in April 1975, but it does not come with ambulance doors. Were there some made that way? Thanks.

Best I can tell, the rear amby doors started 1/75, but toyota sometimes did the leftover thing. But I would bet on the PO modification, however.

It appears to have the 74 doors, too--with the small, vent window. It was weird, because it came with the 1975 owner's manual. The vin plate on the door sill definitely says Apr 1975. I bought this off the original owner who said that he did not make any modifications. It's still cool, I was just wondering.

my buddy's 75 came with this setup 74 doors and no ambulance doors . also had the smaller f engine with a 4 sp. but 4 speed had a lower first gear than normal .also had the cross over t-case lower low range .

Jake

Somebody found a bunch of parts that didn't go out with the last batch of 74's. Did the 74 have the locking gas cap cover?

Mine is an april 75 cruiser and it has the older thin doors and did not have ambulance doors. Remember, the softtops came with tail gates. The thin doors were probably swaped on at some time because they were two different colors and neither matched the truck.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe this was a soft-top version that was converted to a hard-top version. There is a little rust under the tailgate, but that's it. Are the later, thicker doors that much better (in terms of soundproofing the cab)?

german soft top 40's had the older(thin, 2 piece) doors untill 77.............not that yours is german..........

[quote author=Arizona1978FJ40 link=board=1;threadid=13146;start=msg121416#msg121416 date=1079363625]
Are the later, thicker doors that much better (in terms of soundproofing the cab)?
[/quote]

sound p-r-o-of-ing? ??? we are talking about a 40 right?

the road noise helps to cover the motor, geartrain, wind noise :D

[quote author=Kief link=board=1;threadid=13146;start=msg121305#msg121305 date=1079325696]
Somebody found a bunch of parts that didn't go out with the last batch of 74's. Did the 74 have the locking gas cap cover?
[/quote]
yes , they did come with locking gas covers. don't feel bad, i know someone who had a 78 that was bone stock and still had some early 70's pieces here and there.

I have both 75 brochures, the 10/74(so thats 75 model year) and the 4/75, both have almost the same covers(and back) and mostly the same inside stuff. the 4/75 has the ambulance doors, latter hard doors, wipers on bottom, large turn signas and 2F. What funny is Toyota just airbrushed the changes on the cover.............turned the late 74/early 75.......into a later 75 ;)

also the 10/74 has grey seats, the 4/75 has black seats.

AFIAk and can remember 76 was the last year for the OEM soft top in the US.

A customer has two 75-40's (04 and 06-75) both have thin doors and lift hatches and swing out rear doors...

I sold a 8/75 that had thick side doors and ambi rear doors...

Good luck!

-Steve

I appreciate the responses. It makes me feel better. I actually called the original owner's grandson yesterday (the original owner passed away). I bought it from the original owner's daughter. The grandson said that his grandfather ordered the truck that way--that he did not want the ambulance doors. Anyway, it has olnly 65,000 original miles and very minimal rust under the tailgate. So I feel very fortunate to be able to find this. Thank you everybody for your responses to this question.

sounds like a sweet Cruiser. have some pictures? we like pics :)

But AFAIK you really couldn't order a Cruiser(or any japanese car) from the factory, not like you can order a Ford or Chevy. All you could get was what was on the lot or what the dealer could trade from another dealer.

few weeks ago I was BSing with someone(damn I forget who) and he used to work(back in the 70's) at the port(Portland) where the Cruisers would come in, he mentioned that the soft tops came in boxs and he had to put them together.

If I recall right, 74-75 was the biggest year for sales of the fj40 in the US, I have heard that the demand was so great that Toyota diverted 40's that where headed to other markets to the US, this is how the orange(not a US color) 40's got to the US.......they were ment for someplace else.

You mention a tailgate, is it a drop gate(like a pick up) or a split gate? if a tailgate it was a soft top origanly

It's a tailgate, not the split gate. It's just like the one pictured in the original manual that came with the car. It shows the tailgate with the soft-top option. But I don't have the soft-top for it. I like ambulance doors originally, but the tailgate is neat, too. I am going to drive it home tonight after work. I will try to post pictures by the weekend.

cool, yeah it was orignaly a soft top 40 then. That drop gate is worth some good money and I am sure you could trade it for a set of ambulance doors. Or you could get a repo OEM soft top. Your 40 also prolly had the OEM soft doors at one point.

[quote author=Arizona1978FJ40 link=board=1;threadid=13146;start=msg121952#msg121952 date=1079451036]
It's a tailgate, not the split gate. It's just like the one pictured in the original manual that came with the car. It shows the tailgate with the soft-top option. But I don't have the soft-top for it. I like ambulance doors originally, but the tailgate is neat, too. I am going to drive it home tonight after work. I will try to post pictures by the weekend.
[/quote]

roll bar is stock, but it doesn't go to the front window, just behind the seats and to the rear.

[quote author=Arizona1978FJ40 link=board=1;threadid=13146;start=msg121978#msg121978 date=1079452436]
It has a full roll cage, too. Was that an option, or an after-market?
[/quote]

[quote author=Arizona1978FJ40 link=board=1;threadid=13146;start=msg121416#msg121416 date=1079363625]
Thanks for the replies. Maybe this was a soft-top version that was converted to a hard-top version. There is a little rust under the tailgate, but that's it. Are the later, thicker doors that much better (in terms of soundproofing the cab)?
[/quote]
I don't know about sound proofing, but they are nicer, and do rattle less, but are much more of a pain to assemble or repair, and there is more linkage etc to wear out/break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom