1974 FJ40 valuation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all!
New to the forum but an old heart to the sport.
Previously had a 1990 Nissan Patrol 4.2d in Australia but now reside in California.

I’ve been looking for a new rig and have come across this “barn find” in Colorado.
(Budgeting 1k for trucking to LA?)

It has been owned by this owner from 1980 and has been garaged up until last season.

What I know:
50xxxmiles
Colorado club plates?
Roof has an 8 inch hole in it.
Has not been run in a year but ran “fine” before that.
Windscreen is cracked

I had a quick climb around it and the photos will show what I saw.

I saw surface rust in many areas but no tell tale signs of anything serious.
Seems to have a leak in all the joints.

Anyway I know that prices on these fluactuate enormously so what would you pay?

70EE528B-A422-4FB4-8D8D-3DE64173631D.jpeg

D10B489F-9ED8-4AB7-86BF-F3B96BFA63BE.jpeg

0DE56BBF-B484-41CB-AC6C-7B5B5A54F3A2.jpeg

9F6121BC-B629-4058-9519-3A8C76FADAF6.jpeg

594E8817-126E-42E0-B4C4-AB53932FF902.jpeg

Last edited:
I would say low end 5K and high end 10K.

I know that is a wide range but it’s hard to say without seeing it in person.

I would lean on the high end based on how clean it is.

Good luck!

Mike

Looks pretty complete. I paid $4K for my '74 a year and a half ago in similar shape, but I got a pretty smokin' deal. Not sure what the market is there, or what you're looking for in a truck, but if you want all original, this would be a great start from the look of it. Keep us posted!

The rear of the cruiser is really important in determining valuation. This is where typically you have rust bubbling through. How much body work is needed? If you’re lucky, none. That would push the cost up. If it needs a bunch, then you could negotiate a lower price.

Did you get shots of the part covered up?

Does it include the sheila? :D

Looks like a pretty clean truck to me. If there's no other problems not obvious from your photos, I think I might go as high as 8 or 9 $K.

Nothing better than an unmolested original!

I was at a friends wedding and spotted this at the parents house. He told me he just decided to sell it and should love to give it to a good home.
He then told me to check the market and give him an offer, as he hasn’t looked yet.

I didn’t get a chance to look any further then what you see in the picture. So am unsure about the bubbling on the rear.
I looked athe roof and it was typical mold and that while I mentioned.

The top of the door frame probably had the most visible surface rust.

The Sheila has been paid for

Last edited:
looks good to me, I picked up my 77 in a similar condition from Oregon, I was also looking in Colorado. I believe shipping was going to run around <$1.00 a mile. check out Uship. anyways if it ran prior, it should take much to get it started. looks like it needs some TLC and you'll have a good looking ride. good luck. and get it already.

Someone who has had this 40 for 38 years has a lot of love, money and thought invested in it. It is very complete and appears all original to me but far from perfect . Don't insult them with a low ball offer, I'm sure there have been plenty over the years. If I were in the market again, I'd offer $6500 and go up to $8500. Plan to spend around the same amount or more to get it back in shape too. Good luck!

Buy it, put gas in it, and drive it back to Cali... it's a Land Cruiser.

As to your question... If the rear sill and rear quarters are solid, I would say this Cruiser would hover around $8-10k. If they're gone and rusted through, the price drops but not too much. Honestly, this is a rare find- an unmolested FJ40 that appears REALLY complete. I'd snatch it up for sure, but I would hope you'd desire to return it to original, not chop it up and make a Resto-Mod from this one. I would think it'd be easy to get it up and running and looking great.

As the owner of a largely unmolested 1974 FST, I am biased, but this truck looks awesome from the pictures.

However unlikely, if you should pass on this 40, send me the contact info...my FST would love to have a sister with a hardtop!!!

Best of luck to you--I hope you get this. I have loved every minute of having mine.

hiya, there was one here very similar to it. I poured a bit of gas into it & stuck in a good battery. it fired up nice & drove okay but had some issues with the front end, the driver's side axle needed a rebuild. I think it went for ~$8K so if your's has a good rear sill (I think it does from the inside rear pic you showed) & fires up, it'll be worth up to the mid $7K to $9K. even though i got one & rebuilt it, an original cruiser in it's original patina is still very tempting.

good luck & best, ty
:beer:

Out of interest, has anyone had experience reregisteeing colorado club plates with CA?

I registered my 73 colorado based 40 in CA with no plates, no problem. My particular DMV inspector was overwhelmed by patina and fumes but 74 should clear the smog req's without any issues. Just play dumb and way too nice and you should be good to go. (I spent around 800 for shipping to SD from Denver, took 4 days, constant communication. I can get you the info if you pull the trigger on this beast.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom