1971 FJ40 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first actual post on ih8mud. Been lurking for about 2 years now. This thread is to serve as a full history of the step-by-step restoration for my records and any potential future buyers.
Picked up 1971 fj40 bone stock to start a full build from the ground up to my spec of how an OEM+ fj40 should be in my eyes.
Little back history about this rig to my knowledge. 1971 lived its entire life in Washington State. At some point, the original 1F engine seized up and was originally a 3 on the tree. It then was swapped with a late 1975-early 1976 2f and now is 4 on the floor. It was a barn find from the original owner out of Washington to another buyer in Washington. He then decided to transition to another project and was purchased by someone in Sheridan Oregon. He also went a different route on another build so I purchased it. Was given the title from the original owner out of Washington State. The reason I decided on this specific rig to build is it was a complete rig and basically all original. I didn't want to chase down parts and have it become a cobbled-up mess.

The plan is to completely disassemble the entire body myself and send it to a trusted body shop to allow them to do their thing. While I'm disassembling the rig I will make notes exactly on how it is disassembled and paired with all the diagrams I intend on ordering all new hardware from Toyota both inside and out. New gaskets across the entire rig as well as all consumables. While the body is off getting the attention it needs will go through the engine completely and refresh as needed. Will not rebuild the bottom end if the leakdown test is good but between the leakdown and compression test that will determine the exact build that pertains to the engine. Most likely will re-gasket the entire thing because that is relatively straightforward. Clean up quite literally every single component in the engine bay and the entire underside or replace it as needed. Por-15 the engine, trans, t-case, etc. polish all components, powercoat anything that will not be prone to chipping. Anything that is prone to getting in contact with materials such as rocks will get por-15 and a por-15 topcoat to ensure it will last another 50 years. Will convert it to power steering, potentially disc brakes, potentially add AC, and just build it as a stock OEM+ 1971 fj40 that is enjoyable to drive but not make it too modern. The idea is when you are driving this rig you know it is from the 70s but it feels as tight and smooth as a brand-new rig from 1971 could feel. I want it to be an experience when driving this as I believe all driving should be an experience and not just a means of transportation.

The real build will start this Friday with disassembling the entire body down to the frame and getting that sorted to go to the body shop as soon as possible.

Attached are the pictures taken when it was first picked up noting the original condition. It was an extremely solid base with mostly only surface rust. The only real rust is in the rear floor and is straight forward repair. The frame is in tip-top condition as well as the inside of the cab. No deep rust that will be hidden by Bondo and have paint slapped over it. The restoration of this one will allow it to be on the road for another 50 years and be a survivor.

IMG_9651.jpg

68747221142__BEE62CE6-7656-4809-B63B-380D18FB8A8A.jpg

IMG_9703.jpg

IMG_9658.jpg

68747222399__8F8BB6C8-3767-4085-9A52-72BA9DD31BD1.jpg

Looks like you have a great starting point. Can't wait to follow your build. :popcorn:

Very Nice, I can't wait to see what you do with it.
What is the change in transmission? Going away from the column shift 3 speed?

Very Nice, I can't wait to see what you do with it.
What is the change in transmission? Going away from the column shift 3 speed?
since it is originally a 71 it had a 1f with 3 on the tree. Engine seized at some point and a late 75 early 76 2f was swapped w/ 4 on the floor.

Nice rig to start a resto with.

I would reconsider por-15 on the engine. It's really not necessary. Also, with the rust you can see, there's as much you can't see. It'll become clear if you media blast the body.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Quick update. Drove around my bone stock 4 speed 2f 1985 fj60 and came to the realization. It is awful, 4 speeds are not enough for today especially when paired to the stock 2f. With that being said I picked up a very well-maintained 2002 suburban with 190k miles on the clock blown trans. Pulled out the L59 5.3 had great compression on all cylinders. Got the entire rig for $1,000 parted it out and walked away with the engine for $400. Starting to disassemble the FJ40 this coming Friday, will be a slow 1 day week or so project with school. Going to keep the stock 4 speed and transfer case that it came with that was out of a 76 fj40. Going to run an adapter that will allow me to fully build the rig with the 4-speed and when I can track down an fj60 split transfer case I will purchase the h55f for "stage 2" of the build. Plan on using this as a learning experience doing all the repair, bodywork, wiring, engine swap, etc. myself knowing it will not be perfect.

Still plan on raptor lining the wheel wells and potentially the inside floor of the tub. Potentially entire undercarriage. Figure out what I can rig up for disc brakes, I have a power steering setup from what I assume is a later-year fj40 that came with my rig as parts. Need to fully go through all the extra stuff it came with. Will por-15 the frame and such. The biggest thing is the learning experience and problem-solving that this will give me. Will also go on my resume for when I graduate college w/ a degree in Mechanical Engineering.

Took me forever to find but traded the 3fe out of my FJ62 build for a 4 speed and split transfercase from I believe an 85 FJ60. Needs to be cleaned up and regasketed. Will potentially bench build the entire drivetrain setup from motor to transfercase so it stores easily. Does anyone want a fj60 4 speed lol?
1700762968923.png

H55F is here! Slowly but surely acquiring everything for this build to minimize downtime. The only thing that is missing drivetrain wise is clutch-related components, transfercase rebuild kit a new oil pan (not sure if that is necessary on these when swapping into a 40 need to research) and then motor mounts. Ordered the adapter during black Friday so off to the races as soon as the 62 project is done mechanically and just is waiting on paint. Would be great to start the 40 at the beginning of summer!

1703955843944.png

Need to nail down what exactly I want to do and build this to design-wise and such and start slowly sourcing all the correct things. Will do some more research and determine the design and build the concept by the end of January and go from there. Currently, the overall vibe is late spring through early fall top off getting ice cream at the beach with dogs in the back very tactile mechanical feel cruising on Oregon back roads at 65-75 mph. Clean minimalistic classic look and feeling. Thinking spring green as I don't have a green rig in the collection and the only green rig I would ever add would be a sea foam first gen Bronco or similar c10 truck. Deep Green or Rustic Green also have good potential and would still leave the option to go with a more pastel green at some point in the collection. Would love to do Capri or Cadet Blue but my 2 tone FJ62 has the blue covered at this point. The yellow is also a solid color and would likely wear great over the years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom