1970 “it’s all there, I swear” project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The fuel filter is still available from Mr T for like 10 bucks but it has a metal bowl. That clear fuel line can be replaced. I just did it on my build. I'll find the link.

View attachment 3242432
This line came off the supply side of the fuel pump. Glass filter assembly is missing. The other pieces were plumbed in with leaking runber or plastic lines (the plastic looked perhaps factory but it was yellowed and old).

I want to use rubber hose and a cheap later model filter. It appears that the larger threads on these fittings (see solo fitting in photo) match the carb fuel inlet so could be used with the Toyota collar and a ferrule and some 5/16 hardline.

How have others bypassed the glass bowl fuel filters on these old trucks?
My hose was pretty shot so when I replaced my fuel pump with a new one from City Racer I used the barbed input it came with rather than threading the hose into it. Simple filter off Amazon

IMG_0429.JPG

The fuel filter is still available from Mr T for like 10 bucks but it has a metal bowl. That clear fuel line can be replaced. I just did it on my build. I'll find the link.

My hose was pretty shot so when I replaced my fuel pump with a new one from City Racer I used the barbed input it came with rather than threading the hose into it. Simple filter off Amazon

View attachment 3242665
Any idea where I can find that barbed fitting? That is what I am missing to copy your setup. I do have a plan if I can't find one but it would be good for future reference.

Fantastic, thanks for this.

How did you get that clear line fitting apart? I beat it up last night a bit but no luck.

Any idea where I can find that barbed fitting? That is what I am missing to copy your setup. I do have a plan if I can't find one but it would be good for future reference.
Mine came with the fuel pump. I dont know the part number (maybe Toyota 90404-51244 or 90404-51266) but Im sure a lot of the good part vendors could get it for you new or used.

Or McMaster Carr has pipe to barbed fittings... I think the pipe tapped stuff was BSPT instead of NPT if you go that route.

d122dcebd0920f8a75a52d537d90fd02.png

Some pics here: PNW 67 Patina Blue - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/pnw-67-patina-blue.1289865/page-4#post-14699232

I just got a new fuel tank and will be pulling apart the other end of the fitting. I'll take some better pics this time.
Makes sense. I couldn't tell if that sleeve was just a snap ring or what, I could only faintly make out the split from the end-on angle of view in my vise. I will try and dig it out of there with some tiny drill bits or something.

Build looks great, incidentally. I will have to read through it all later.

For those interested, I bought the "nut, union" from my local Toyota dealer (had two in stock!), some 5/16 ni-copp line, a 5/16 olive/ferrule/compression ring (local hardware store). The double-ended threaded fitting came off the plastic line from the frame rail, but it's the same one as on either side of the pump and (I assume) at the carb.

Cut the line, made a bubble flare on one end with a cheapo Harbor Freight flare tool, then screwed them together to squeeze the olive in place. Hey presto! no leaks.

Now the fool who rebuilt the carb (me) seems to have screwed something up. The accelerator pump plunger hardly moves at all and is basically jammed. Starts and idles with some choke but dies when you give it throttle (no fuel).

Ideas before I disassemble?

I have found two threads here that seem to describe the problem I am having with the accelerator pump plunger:

The first thread is directly related and seems to be the same problem. I did take the top of the carb off ("air horn" ?) and found a small rubber washer on top of the (I think) power piston adjacent to the plunger chamber. I recall thinking about whether to install this washer when I rebuilt the carb as it seemed to fit there and I had one of those "maybe I took that off?" moments.

After removing it the pump sprays plenty of gas until you connect the actuator arm to it, after which time it is again slow to move and stiff. It does run much better but still bogs and dies if you give it any amount of reasonable throttle.

So: removing the arm and it's free, install it and it binds. Must be linkage, right? Or the plunger is too long for this length arm (or vice versa)? The arm came with the carb so I have to assume it's correct, the plunger came with the kit.

The pin on the arm swings in an arc, so I can see that if the attachment point on the plunger is too far out one way or the other, it could be putting a lot of side force into the bore.

Anyone ever experience this, and, if so, how did you solve it?

Last edited:
I wish I could help but I haven't rebuilt one of these yet. I have rebuilt my fair share of various 2 and 4 barrels though and I can say that when I get stuck like this, I pull it all apart again and follow the instructions step by freaking step and I compare the new to old as I go. Usually I find something in backwards.

I wish I could help but I haven't rebuilt one of these yet. I have rebuilt my fair share of various 2 and 4 barrels though and I can say that when I get stuck like this, I pull it all apart again and follow the instructions step by freaking step and I compare the new to old as I go. Usually I find something in backwards.
Thanks. Yeah, that is how I found the suspicious washer. This problem is pretty clearly geometry, though, as the plunger works great and sprays lots of fuel until you attach the arm. I will have to go out and start bending some things I guess.

Last edited:
Solved!

Bent the arm and linkage and made the problem worse. Took the top back off the carb, checked the pump bore, spring, the discharge stopper, and compared the old plunger with the new one. All looked good. Checked the manual, turns out the gasket I removed at the top of the discharge stopper is indeed correct, so that went back in.

Tested pumping a bit and got zero outflow, so, as it happens, there was debris in the accelerator pump discharge jet. Ground down a small diameter wire and poked at it, got brake cleaner to flow well, so buttoned it all back up.

Pumps great and isn’t hard to move at all. I guess that is what hydrolock does for ya!

I returned the arm and linkage to their original shapes and it runs great. I think it needs a little timing work (PO installed a new distributor) and minor adjustment but this was definitely the issue.

Last edited:
659A7B83-4EEF-4E8D-BA52-E3A2617EC15E.jpeg
25451CC4-8428-486C-9ADE-1A1F8DA5304F.jpeg

Got a throttle return spring at the Ace Hardware store over lunch. 4 1/8” or 105mm as best I can tell is the measurement hole-to-hole and this was just right. Needed to trim and bend the hooks to get it taut but works wonderfully for $4.

Slightly off-topic but it’s my thread so:

Bought a 1979 Chevy Luv 4x4 over the weekend in basically this same blue.

I transferred the title today on Valentine’s Day. Get it? Luv? I must win some internet award for this.
DF128B8E-F25D-44DB-A0D2-B4D0350F8140.jpeg

A35721EC-FC80-4C0B-A1E6-CB9DF4832289.jpeg

Made a new fuel line from pump to carb tonight. Used ni-copp which was frustrating me on my FJ55 (2F and the front clip is on, more bends and less space to work). This one turned out better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom