My 1970 FJ-40 Burned (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was sitting in my Cruiser letting it idle to warm it up. Long story, but I apparently had a fuel leak that ignited. The engine compartment is burned. All the wiring and everything rubber and plastic under the hood is gone. Damage inside the cab does not seem all that bad. The dash pad is burned on the passenger side; the passenger side plastic heater duct is melted. All metal looks good under the dash. I had papers in the glovebox and they did not burn. All body panels (except for the hood) still has good paint. The hood has the paint burned off. Although the metal looks just fine, I would think the hood may be warped due to the heat and cooling in getting the fire out. Drivetrain and axles are not even discolored from smoke. This Cruiser is an unusual rust free vehicle from California so the frame is great.

I'm waiting now to see what the insurance adjustor will do. There is no question that it can be rebuilt but I ask myself...Then what?? The answer is that it would likely sit parked like it has been doing the past three years. It's time to say good by to my Cruiser since 1999. I mention all this to say that at 80 years old, I will likely not have the Cruiser rebuilt.

I am anticipating the Cruiser to be totaled by the insurance. I hope I have the option to buy it back. If so..... I will be either selling it as a package or possibly parting it out. If you have any interest, It has a 350 Chevy, fuel injected engine (about 30,000 miles), SM-465 Chevy tranny (low 1st gear), a Marlin Toybox (4.7:1 gear ratio), and a rebuilt Toyota transfer case. Both front/rear axles have ARB lockers. The front axle has the Longfields; the rear axle has the Warn free-floating axles with lock-out hubs (for towing). It has Saginaw power steering; front/rear disc brakes; Mile Marker hydraulic winch in the front and a Ramsey 8000 in the rear; Tom Woods drive shafts. Oh...... it has SOA suspension with Alcan custom springs. Full hardtop and ambulance doors are in great condition.

Needless to say...this is a big loss. But, many pleasant memories will stay with me.

Don

Sorry to hear this but glad you are ok and it didn’t spread to house or consume more of the cruiser.

Like Brooklyn said above I’d consider using insurance money to have it rebuilt. Depending on your insurance you may be in a position to finish it on their money even nicer than before. You can always sell it then.

Ah man, that’s terrible! I met you at Homegrown hops and really liked your rig. It was a beast!

18CB7456-0A42-43F7-8441-55148F96A6F5.jpeg

Guys...........Thanks to all for your comments. The more shoulders I can cry on....the better. I'm in the process of dealing with insurance.......

Good to hear from you, Slapshot and 60 40. And, thanks for posting the picture.

Sorry to hear this. but if you do part it i would be interested in the trans / taco/ t-case

That is a good looking 40. I hope you decide to rebuild.

damn it. that sucks. so sorry.

That's a heartbreaker, so much of ourselves goes into these rigs that it goes way beyond just losing a piece of machinery. The previous owner of my FJ had the whole wiring harness catch on fire. Luckily he was able to put it out or I wouldn't have my project truck today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom