fuel gauge issue (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Working on a 77 fj40 the fuel gauge works intermittently. It reads the correct amount of fuel sometimes and other times does not, even if I don't move the the truck. Seems to be a hard one to pinpoint what is going on any help would be great. Thanks!

Just guessing here that it might be a weak ground wire connection: I'd start at the tank and work back towards the instrument cluster. Lift up the passenger seat to gain access to the top of the tank; remove wires and thoroughly clean contacts. Test for continuity. If that does not solve the issue, do the same at the other end.

Working on a 77 fj40 the fuel gauge works intermittently. It reads the correct amount of fuel sometimes and other times does not, even if I don't move the the truck. Seems to be a hard one to pinpoint what is going on any help would be great. Thanks!

add a dedicated polarized ground wire to 1 of your top Philips head screws sender

- u have a OLD sender
, BAD

buy this one

new oem gasket

ALL NEW OEM screws

both of these approaches WILL 99% solve your issue :)
DO NOT do only 1 , you will fail and this will not be good ...
- if you cheat , and only do one , we will know ,
- i will be back to see your OEM parts progress
good luck , you can do this ...:)
- adding the ring terminal ground to a new OEM sender is your path

NO AMAZAON or ROCK AUTO parts here either chinA s#IT crap .....BAD :mad:

this is the way ...........

b

1706360879261.png

1706361018379.png

1706361048054.png

1706361354093.png

1706361034915.png

I checked the continuity from the sending unit wire to the plug at the gauge all good there. I grounded the wire on top of the sending unit and connected that to the negative side of the battery still no good, does the instrument panel need to be grounded, have that pulled out but even when it was still in it did the same thing. Thanks again!

Mine reads full for a long time, 1/2 is about right and E is you are walking - Odometer is my best fuel range gauge. However, low range low in mud up to the hubs for about 10 miles on the tank trails really sucks gas.

Maybe it is the sender. It is very easy to pull and test. There is a lot of very useful information about bench testing your sender here.

i tried going to that link[here] but it was about pan gaskets
Sorry about that. Try this:

About to buy a sending unit any other advice? Any points on how to put the speedo cable back on heard it was a pita, thanks.

I checked the continuity from the sending unit wire to the plug at the gauge all good there. I grounded the wire on top of the sending unit and connected that to the negative side of the battery still no good, does the instrument panel need to be grounded, have that pulled out but even when it was still in it did the same thing. Thanks again!
Well if you've grounded the wire at the sender, and you're not registering it at the gauge, then it can't be a sender fault, can it?

Most likely your voltage regulator on the gauge is shot.
What is the voltage at the 3rd terminal on your gauge? Should be about 7V.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom