Fuel Sender Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, so after the infamous NJ fuel spill that took 4 days to control, I pulled the leaky fuel tank.

Since the original tank had an actual hole in the side, I got another used tank but in good usable condition. While the sender was out, I hooked it up and moved the arm/float as if it were full. The gas gauge only registered 3/4 tank. So I took the second, newer style fuel sender and the same thing happen, registered 3/4 tank with the arm/float all the way up.

Background: sbc 350, electric fuel pump, autometer gauges.

So is it a gauge issue or float/arm issue? Its not a huge deal but if there is an easy fix before I re-install, its worth doing.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

DM3

On my 72, the gauge says full for a long time, 1/2 and E are about right, has always been that way, since I got it in 82. In like 84 I installed an aux tank behind the rear axle. Datsun B-210, 12.5 gallon tank. I went to radio shack and bought an nice assortment of low value resistors. I managed to get the gas gauge to register from 1/2 (full) to E, on the aux tank. Toggle switch on dash, allows reading either tank. Toyota electrics vs Datsun just a matter of resistance ranges - I looked up both in books.

Check the resistance wire coil on the sender isn't damaged or dirty.
Check that the wiper is riding only on the resistance wire coil as it rises and falls - not hanging off the end - and also that it can cover the whole range of travel.

Sometimes you'll need to bend the arm depending on your tank and type of sender to cover the right range of resistance.

Check that you don't have stray resistance in the wiring (corroded terminals etc - measure resistance from the meter end all the way through the loop).

If all else fails, try to add resistance to bring it into line, otherwise probability need a different sender.

If the gauge is off for the full range from F to E, then the gauge itself needs to be adjusted or replaced.

www.marksoffroad.net

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom