Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Still flip flopping on whether to go steel or fiberglass on my fenders. Stripped the paint and Bondo off the steel right fender to expose what rust is there. Not bad, imo. I think I will shape and weld in patches and use these. Fiberglass is lighter and doesn't require repair, but I don't like the lack of structure. I could panel bond some metal stiffeners tho....

View attachment 2971439
I vote steel.

Started patching today. My metal shaping mentor, who uses no filler in his work would make me do it over, but I'm going to use body filler and drive on with it.

IMG_20220405_184437638.jpg

As I was grinding away the paint and rust, trying to find the limits of rust to patch, I was kind of amazed at how thick the evidently original factory body filler was.

Both fenders were slightly dished in at the turn signal holes, and evidently were made flat using body filler. Body filler was about 1/8" thick at the turn signal holes

Because I have the attention span of a hummingbird, I decided to address the clutch and brakes. Mainly because I am packing up my shop to move and figured these parts will be better located on Mavis' firewall rather than in a box to be discovered later. I bled the clutch and it's stiff, but works. The brake had pedal in just a few strokes, and all the wheel masters have fluid to them. Still needs to be bled tho. Looks like the PO did a replumb with 10mm fittings prior to parking it. All lines and fittings are in decent shape.

IMG_20220413_135603318.jpg

IMG_20220414_085716798.jpg

Last edited:
So happy to see you got a “ diamond in the rough” instead of a turd to polish. Great work and progress!

Installed both corner glass using one piece Trimlok. I accidentally cut both sides short, so I'm going to try making a filler piece to deal with the gap. If nothing else, it was a good learning experience.

View attachment 2982615
I used a little 3m super black to hold the ends together. What I found is I squirted a little windex around the rubber for lube and was able to use a hand on each side and push/stretch some excess around until I tightened up that gap. The windex evaporates rather quickly. Had the adhesive in there first, just a little squirt right in the gap.

I used a little 3m super black to hold the ends together. What I found is I squirted a little windex around the rubber for lube and was able to use a hand on each side and push/stretch some excess around until I tightened up that gap. The windex evaporates rather quickly. Had the adhesive in there first, just a little squirt right in the gap.
That is a great tip. Will have to try it.

Installed both corner glass using one piece Trimlok. I accidentally cut both sides short, so I'm going to try making a filler piece to deal with the gap. If nothing else, it was a good learning experience.

View attachment 2982615
I'm about to do the same project. Do you know the part number you used from Trimlok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom