Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Working on a "field find" land cruiser makes every day like Christmas. New goodies every day
IMG_20220319_154138810.jpg

IMG_20220319_154132323.jpg

IMG_20220319_152459693.jpg

Though @ToyotaMatt definitely upped his "freebie" game by throwing in Toyota hardware. Definitely appreciated.

Working on a "field find" land cruiser makes every day like Christmas. New goodies every dayView attachment 2957038
View attachment 2957039
View attachment 2957040

Though @ToyotaMatt definitely upped his "freebie" game by throwing in Toyota hardware. Definitely appreciated.

" Freebie's " are for strangers .......... :beer:

- " Professional
#4 #7 #8 Mark Head JIS 100% MADE IN JAPAN BOLTS Samples " are for Valued Customers ........ :)

-
" OEM BEIGE " GENUINE NipponDenso & TOYOTA Auto Body OEM Factory Canvas Tool Roll Reproduction Accessory HEAVY DUTY " BILLY " TOTE Bags

for our " PLATNIUM LEVEL CLUB MEMBERS & BOTIQUE-STATUS Parts and Service Clients at all times " are simply Gratitude to let them know there also

SOLID MUD Buddies .... :D

Thank You for your support
Erin & Matt :grinpimp:

DSCN9792 - Copy.JPG

Got a cowl vent cover from ebay.

1647905709978.jpeg

Yay! Another color!

1647905799035.jpeg

Oh noes! Everything is frozen solid!

Liberal application of WD40 and tappy-tap wooden hammer, and everything moves again!

Now we have a vent gasket on the way.

1647906220259.jpeg

In the process of getting to the bottom of the cowl vent, I removed the heater unit. Appears to be in good shape.

Cleaned out that glove box; found a metric crap ton of acorns and other trash, when I noticed something really hard on the bottom. I found these in there.

1647906443996.jpeg

Evidently reinforcement for some kind of winch/bumper?

The holes in your stk bumper should line up with those stk plates.

Finally got the fuel tank out of there. Looks to be minimal rust, which I treated with converter, then threw some primer on it for good measure.

1648063518632.jpeg

Note the multiplicity of prior repairs. It doesn't appear to leak tho, so I'm good.

1648063370963.jpeg

1648063285463.jpeg

Removing the gas tank permitted me to really get in their with the pressure sprayer and clean out the accumulated muck.

1648063753291.jpeg

My wife and I bought a house yesterday, so I need to quickly get it ready to move; next up is to restore the top and get it back on, and at least temp install all the new parts that are hanging out in my garage.

Glad you're resurrecting this one. :clap:

Some kind words of advice because I've owned a few crusty cruisers: get it running and driving before you spend any money on anything else. It's really easy to spend thousands on all the fun stuff like tires, lights, suspension, etc. Only to discover the engine, trans, transfer, brakes, electrical, etc are toast and you need to dump thousands more and A Lot of time into it before you'll ever need all those other new parts.

Glad you're resurrecting this one. :clap:

Some kind words of advice because I've owned a few crusty cruisers: get it running and driving before you spend any money on anything else. It's really easy to spend thousands on all the fun stuff like tires, lights, suspension, etc. Only to discover the engine, trans, transfer, brakes, electrical, etc are toast and you need to dump thousands more and A Lot of time into it before you'll ever need all those other new parts.

What you see now, is what it will be like once it's running. I'm leaving the paint "as is" and might clear coat it, or I might not.

This is an old school, function over form rig.

I want to make every system functional, as well.

PS - I'm going to splurge on some refinished split bench and troop seats though.

PPS - Cyclone Power!!!! Class of '87

Since we bought a house, I need to sell the current house we live in. That means Mavis needs to be made ready to move.

Started by separating the sill from the top.

1648173443705.jpeg

1648173352450.jpeg

I then went after it with a pressure washer, and hit the sill with rust converter.

Then got some kitty sh*t and smeared it all over it.

1648173500743.jpeg

1648173635635.jpeg

Not perfectly happy with my job, but just gotta get it good enough to move.

Since we bought a house, I need to sell the current house we live in. That means Mavis needs to be made ready to move.

Started by separating the sill from the top.

View attachment 2961900

View attachment 2961899
I then went after it with a pressure washer, and hit the sill with rust converter.

Then got some kitty sh*t and smeared it all over it.

View attachment 2961901

View attachment 2961905

Not perfectly happy with my job, but just gotta get it good enough to move.
I see a Blue Oval vehicle in this picture... 65-66 rag top? Prefect garage... 40 and a pony. I have the 40 and just need to find a decent pony.

My wife wants a convertible 65-68 mustang but I keep buying cruisers. Good thing she likes them too. Nice looking one you’ve got!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom