Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My wife wants a convertible 65-68 mustang but I keep buying cruisers. Good thing she likes them too. Nice looking one you’ve got!
I'd trade my 40 and a stack of cash right now for a 69-70 Mach 1. Any day of the week.

I'd trade my 40 and a stack of cash right now for a 69-70 Mach 1. Any day of the week.
Not a mach1 but got this guy hiding under one of the car shaped sheets in the corner

KIMG1337.JPG

KIMG0736.JPG

Not a mach1 but got this guy hiding under one of the car shaped sheets in the corner

View attachment 2962398

View attachment 2962399
Very nice. Love the vintage Mustangs. I’ve got a 70 mustang hidden away at the shop too. It’s a matching numbers Mach 1 with a 351. Will be up for sale soon though, too many cruiser projects in the way. Sorry for the thread hijack.

4A201EC7-FA9B-4E59-B9D4-A3A5FF09EC27.jpeg
27E1AFCE-D959-4F6F-B401-B0113BB8FC69.jpeg

We are insanely getting our house ready to sell today. Worked all day and was driving my FJ55 to an event at church when a guy in a lifted truck failed to see me stop for a light. As he is drifting sideways with his brakes locked up looking like he was going to rear end me, I was already salvaging my 55 in my mind and was wondering which parts I could recycle into my 40. Fortunately, the guy got stopped in time.

I guess I still need to work with what I got.

Finally got off my butt and got some hardware to hang the turn signals on the bumper.
1648332539500.jpeg

I also got a couple tubes of SEM panel bond 39337 because it was available locally, and am trying the @Trollhole panel bond technique for affixing the top cap.

1648332754250.jpeg

I test fitted it a couple different ways, but eventually decided to go with the top cap under the sill because the weight of the assembled piece helped it fit tighter, and it gave me access to look at the seam.

I also drilled out all the broken hardware from the top. I used a Starrett center punch to start the hole, then drilled a #30 pilot hole, and finish drilling with a 3/16" bit. I then used the proper tap to chase the threads out. I then chased all the threads in the top, just because.

I picked up some rebuild able seats, and am trying to figure out what I'm looking at.

IMG_20220403_133918387.jpg

What are those tabs welded into the troop seats? They appear to get into the way of installing the seats and only one aligns with the tub sill. Are they stock?

IMG_20220403_135847795.jpg
IMG_20220403_135835520.jpg
IMG_20220403_135829922.jpg
IMG_20220403_134829070.jpg

Without knowing the difference, I bought seats from a 71 which has different base configuration. Doesn't bother me though, as 71s had nicer seats and I can either move the attachment points on the tub floor or cut and weld my 69 base legs to the 71 bottom.

I surfed over the SOR's website and have figured it out.

1649020966113.png

The long jump seats must fasten directly to the tub with horizontal straps. The picture shows three posts, while my jump seats have two, like this picture illustrated here:

1649021255295.png

These, of course, don't fit with roll bars.

Short jump seats have stand off bars to allow for the roll bar as illustrated below.

1649021080858.png

It's my belief that these jump seats are early long ones that have been altered to fit a roll bar.

I have a roll bar, but didn't plan to use it. IMO, the roll bar makes carrying passengers in the rear without helmets unsafe.

I will probably weld some straps on these and cut off the stand off bars, and run it without the roll bar.

Still flip flopping on whether to go steel or fiberglass on my fenders. Stripped the paint and Bondo off the steel right fender to expose what rust is there. Not bad, imo. I think I will shape and weld in patches and use these. Fiberglass is lighter and doesn't require repair, but I don't like the lack of structure. I could panel bond some metal stiffeners tho....

IMG_20220404_101850253.jpg

Last edited:
I surfed over the SOR's website and have figured it out.

View attachment 2970661

The long jump seats must fasten directly to the tub with horizontal straps. The picture shows three posts, while my jump seats have two, like this picture illustrated here:

View attachment 2970663

These, of course, don't fit with roll bars.

Short jump seats have stand off bars to allow for the roll bar as illustrated below.

View attachment 2970662

It's my belief that these jump seats are early long ones that have been altered to fit a roll bar.

I have a roll bar, but didn't plan to use it. IMO, the roll bar makes carrying passengers in the rear without helmets unsafe.

I will probably weld some straps on these and cut off the stand off bars, and run it without the roll bar.
Those 3 post seats look like FJ43? I’ve never seen a 3 post long seat in any of the 40’s I’ve had.
Looks like someone did cutoff the bracket that bolts to the tub side and welded on a longer one, likely for rollbar clearance like you suspect.

Those 3 post seats look like FJ43? I’ve never seen a 3 post long seat in any of the 40’s I’ve had.
Looks like someone did cutoff the bracket that bolts to the tub side and welded on a longer one, likely for rollbar clearance like you suspect.
It's raining here, so instead of working on other more pressing projects, I cut off those standoffs.

The more I research, the more I wished these were later model long seats with the folding supports. This is an inherently weak seat.

1649088154999.png

The three posts are a great idea. So are folding seat supports.

Oh well. I wanted "vintage" so vintage is what I'll get, warts and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom