Builds 1969 FJ40 named Mavis (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got a lot done in the last week but documented little of it. Mostly I chased ever increasing oil leaks, patched two more rust holes and worked on building a platform in the back for the dog kennel to rest on for our trip. That and drove it. Today I came to a stop sign and the column shifter went all floppy on me. Turns out one of the rod end nuts came undone. Found a replacement and applied thread locker. Removed the rest of the nuts and thread locked and retorqued them as well.

IMG_20240307_155741097_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240307_181410154_HDR.jpg

My next step will probably be removing, resealing and reinstalling the timing chain cover with the right length screws

I learned something important today.

Did you know that with the engine running, the oil pressure sensor produces enough electricity to ignite brake cleaner when sprayed on it?

Also, provided you get the fire out in time, the fire really does a fantastic job of cleaning up excess oil on the block and surrounding metal parts.

I learned something important today.

Did you know that with the engine running, the oil pressure sensor produces enough electricity to ignite brake cleaner when sprayed on it?

Also, provided you get the fire out in time, the fire really does a fantastic job of cleaning up excess oil on the block and surrounding metal parts.

Hnmm, is this an aftermarket non-ground based sensor?

So I found the leak.

The moral of the story is: "Don't believe everything you read."

In my 2F manual, the 10mm screw on the timing cover directly on the driver's side of the 14mm screw is called out to be 10mm.

This little f*cker at 10mm hits the flange of the oil pan, and pushes the timing cover away from the block.

I pulled it out, clamped it in a vice and shortened it with an angle grinder.

Now, it tightens the timing cover but doesn't hit the oil pan flange. The deluge of oil has slowed to a nice, slow drip. I imagine the timing cover is now warped, but I can live with a slow Class II leak.

Once we complete our Route 66 trip, I will open up the front end and fix the leak for good.

I am building a list of "want to do" projects for after the trip. I imagine the trip will lengthen this list considerably.

Had you had the timing cover or oil pan off before? It didn't leak that bad when I was running that engine, but I hadn't had those off, just the head.... I still miss how smooth and quiet that engine was in comparison to the rattly thing that replaced it.
I'm quite curious how the fuel economy is now, in a smaller vehicle but different gearing and slower driving speeds. I think I got about 11mpg in the 60...

Had you had the timing cover or oil pan off before? It didn't leak that bad when I was running that engine, but I hadn't had those off, just the head.... I still miss how smooth and quiet that engine was in comparison to the rattly thing that replaced it.
I'm quite curious how the fuel economy is now, in a smaller vehicle but different gearing and slower driving speeds. I think I got about 11mpg in the 60...
I did a complete reseal when it was on the ground. Plus I checked the timing set while I was in there.

It has a broken screw that I drilled and tapped also.

Now I wish I hadn't touched it....

@Thechief86 evidently my age is showing. I guess I meant to reseal the timing chain cover and just installed a new front crank seal instead.

Came out this morning to a huge pool of oil.

Went partially crazy and ripped the front end apart.

IMG_20240310_171308089_HDR.jpg

Good thing I did.

IMG_20240310_184820485_HDR.jpg

I'd say this timing cover gasket has seen better days.

Since I'm setting out on a 5000+ mile trip in a week, I figured I won't have time to order the correct gasket, so I found some gasket material and made one.

IMG_20240310_201328861_HDR.jpg

It's not just beer and Skittles from this point. The timing gears don't leave much clearance, especially on the top gear. I'm a little nervous at how thin the gasket is up there but oil probably won't leak from the top anyway.
IMG_20240310_205716051_HDR.jpg

I coated both sides of the gasket with sealant and snugged all the bolts down finger tight to allow the sealant to cure overnight and will then torque them correctly tomorrow. I'm a little butt hurt that you need to remove the water pump to get to that one screw on top. Next thing you know, Toyota engineers will be putting the starter inside the engine.

Well, I "think" I've fixed the leak.

Step one was chucking the torque values in the manual.

You aren't stretching bolts here. You are just snugging them down onto the gasket and then a titch more. So I just turned them down until the cover was slightly compressing the gasket, using a 6 inch ruler. It took one more attempt, ignoring torque values and just doing what makes sense.

The inaccessible bolt on top of the timing cover can be cheated with a double headed 10mm bolt which has a second head that sticks up about 10mm or so, which solves the issue of having to remove the water pump to get at it.

Welp, went on a test run today and things went well. My lovely bride only mentioned the smell a couple times and the hounds enjoyed their new high visibility perch.

Stopped at a BBQ/soul food joint called "South of the River" and ate too much. Good times.

View attachment 3582906
Sorry if you mentioned it elsewhere… where’d you get your bows and soft top from?

Had the chance to read your whole thread last couple of days. Great rig. Great journey. Great resiliency! Nice work! Fantastic memories!

Just FYI, I am posting over on the expedition forum for anyone who is interested in our Route 66 trip;

Only major issue so far is that my wipers took a dump and are blowing fuses every time I turn them on.

They started by being way too slow this morning, then getting worse until they stopped and popped the fuse.

Any ideas?

Just FYI, I am posting over on the expedition forum for anyone who is interested in our Route 66 trip;

Only major issue so far is that my wipers took a dump and are blowing fuses every time I turn them on.

They started by being way too slow this morning, then getting worse until they stopped and popped the fuse.

Any ideas?

You said it started by being slow until stopping and then blowing fuses. If the motor or linkage began to bind that would slow things down. When things froze the resistance of the motor would more than likely blow the fuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom