1966 FJ45 LWB rolling blitz restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The time has finally come for me to get off my butt and "finish" this truck. I have owned it for about 5 years, and sadly, barely driven it during that time. Other projects, house, three cruisers, wife, etc. have always kept me from really doing anything with it.....until now. I have a limited time, and I mean limited, to get this thing in better shape. I'm about to lose my shop, my free time, and my money for this project, so it's now or never.

First things first, I have to strip it down to get it to the painter. From there, I will finish the front half of the frame and try to get the motor painted. Beyond that, parts will be reconditioned as time permits. My first objective is to get it mobile again as quickly as possible before I have to move.....and before the funds are confiscated by my loving wife. ;)

Before photos:
fj45out 001.jpg
fj45out 002.jpg
fj45out 003.jpg

more before

more pics
fj45out 004.jpg
fj45out 005.jpg
45introtate.JPG

muck

Engine and problem floor
45engine.JPG
floor 001.jpg
floor 002.jpg

The problem with the last two photos is this is the only place I know of where it has rust...and it's bad enough that it needs to be cut out. Nobody makes a square rib replacement floor though....and that bums me out. I wanted to press my own, but I just won't have the time. I need to spend my time welding a few holes closed and straightening the tailgate as much as possible. The body man will weld in the new panels, but the little stuff is cheaper for me to do....and he doesn't like to weld little holes anyway.

Allright Barry, an in depth "detail" thread :D Slap in one of those diesels while yer at it. Looks like you'll get to use up the rest of your POR15 inventory unless you sold it all :doh: Just as your other resto/ build thread, I'm sure this one'll be just as :smokin: Hope to pick up some sheetmetal welding tips here.... You gonna change out your wire to .25 ga.? Maybe that's my problem as I try to use .35 for everything & it just gets too hot & warps, even spot welding, then I get :bang: Have you had an opportunity to use that plasma much? Can't wait for the progress pics....... :bounce2:

too late

I would just enjoy it, but it's so clean, it really deserves a better paint job.
Moving on......hard top and doors off, seats out.
fj45deconstruction 003.jpg
fj45deconstruction 004.jpg
fj45deconstruction 009.jpg

more work

Looks like one rust spot between the hard top shell and the front "valence". I won't know how bad that is until after it's all cleaned up. Bib is off and perfectly rust free....I was wondering about this spot, since they are so bad on many. Funny thing is ALL the rubber I have pulled out (save the windshield gasket) has been in great condition except for having been painted. Thanks previous owners! I appreciate that! :bang:
fj45deconstruction 024.jpg
fj45deconstruction 036.jpg
fj45deconstruction 037.jpg

vent gasket

The vent gasket was a pretty good example of that. Backside was in great shape, front not so much from the paint. I gotta say....buying a west coast truck is WAY worth it over an east coaster. This is the second west coast truck I have worked on and all the bolts come out freely. Huge time saver from snappo, cuss, drill, tap, etc.
fj45deconstruction 019.jpg
fj45deconstruction 026.jpg
fj45deconstruction 032.jpg

Fenders off, running boards off, etc. I'm down to only needing to lift the cab and bed off and onto a dolly. I only hit two snags in the disassembly. I cracked the near perfect windshield (%$#^&) and I broke one bolt off in the frame where the fender bolts to it. Not too bad...

The biggest PITA is now going to be finding a floor panel. I was going to order Real steel, then noticed that it's nowhere near matching. I thought only the ribs were round instead of square, but now I see that there are the wrong number and width of ribs. CCoT shows the correct floor panel, but it's only offered as a complete pan replacement, and I sure don't need that. $$$$$!!!!!
So how do I contact Paul Pilgrim and get a patch panel made for just what I need? ;)
He's in another country though. Maybe I can try real steel or CCoT and see what they can do.
Frick.....this is going to slow me down.

Last edited:
door

Previous owner "fixed" the door catch. I fixed it better. :p

What does "LR2" stand for?
doorproblem.jpg
doorfix.jpg
LR2.jpg

body off

Got the tub and bed off. Dropped the damn bed on the ground.....DOH!!!!!!
Lots of bad words exchanged with myself for the rigging used. I think I can pull the dents out.....we'll see.
bed.jpg
tub.jpg
midframe.jpg

rear frame

You can see the rear half of the frame that I already prepped with POR-15 a few years back. Still looks great. I'm looking forward to the front half looking like this. Anyway, on track to drop the body at the paint shop this week and let him get cracking. I still need the floor patch panel, but no biggie. He has a lot of blasting and stripping to do anyway.
rearframe.jpg

blasting

I'm sure I will Greg....I'll let you know! Thanks.

Loaded it all up on the trailer and dropped it at the blaster first thing this morning. He should be done by Friday and I'll take it directly to the paint shop.
45loadedontrailer 001.jpg
45loadedontrailer 002.jpg

Let me know also man.

Always like working on 45's. Even if its not mine.

Last winter I replaced the same floor sections in my lpb tub. I used a tailgate access panel from an fj 55. The ribs matched nicely, but had rounded ends. I was pretty new with the wire feed at the time and so the transition isn't all that smooth, but I'm glad I did it. More on that project can be found by searching my thread in the 40 series tech entitled 'the first cut is the deepest'.
45floor removed.jpg
45 new floors.jpg
45 inty.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom