FJ45 Project Restoration 1979 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
Thank you to my internet friend @michaelb for showing me several forums here on IH8MUD. He suggested I stop here and create a new build thread for this project. It is rougher than I had believed but doesn’t scare me…it’s just a lot more time, work and money to bring it back. I’ve always loved FJ40 series land cruisers since getting one brand new in 1974 but am sure I’ll need plenty of suggestions from those who have been down this route. I‘m no stranger to it but two of more heads will certainly produce a better outcome.

I have already replaced the alternator, battery, voltage regulator, working on the master cylinder for the clutch and slave cylinder next. Waiting on interior Door panels, brake booster, parking brake internals and steering knuckle rebuild parts this week. I cleaned out a solid 1/4 mat of rust from the radiator overflow tank and pulled the corroded windshield washer motor…Small stuff but it all needs to be re-done…. I’ll post as I go for those interested…

IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_0248.jpeg
IMG_0249.jpeg
IMG_0305.jpeg
IMG_0302.jpeg
IMG_0370.jpeg
IMG_0373.jpeg
IMG_0365.jpeg

Last edited:
looks like an early 1979 which was before the big 1979 model year change.
I was thinking middle east also as the condition and color, but it looks like it has titties on the bumper?? and a steering column cover which was more a central American thing
double check it has 50/50 in the rad before winter

Well, it Is Middle East … I didn’t post the plaid seats and I was thinking what gave it away…
Radiator was only half filled and like just water….cleaned and flushed but need a leak repaired. One I have it mechanically set, it will get torn apart for the big job this fall I. Cooler weather… for some reason 65 F is too warm these days

Are there notable differences in the non-US FJ45’ and others? For example, the engine and body manuals so far, just seem to show the same parts and sequences.

It seems like the headlight switch is different and smaller than my FJ40 US version, For those who have been here before ….are there differences to know about?.

Are there notable differences in the non-US FJ45’ and others? For example, the engine and body manuals so far, just seem to show the same parts and sequences.

It seems like the headlight switch is different and smaller than my FJ40 US version, For those who have been here before ….are there differences to know about?.
Front disc brakes, H41 4 speed tranny a lower gear 1st, no smog.

Slow project for sure…. I should have bought one without all of the needed repairs and services…Tom if your reading this..you’re right.
my biggest pet peeve so far… mixed Metric and SAE nuts and bolts
coming from the desert I would have thought it got sand blasted enough. Not so
Could not resist the shiny new tag!

IMG_0534.jpeg

IMG_0532.jpeg

@Michael B so that explains a lot of the non-US differences 😂. I did not even consider that. It looks like the best way for me to get into this right now is to pull the rear bed, cleanup and re-build parts in that section and then move to the front, suspension and engine…keep the paint that’s on it but re-do the interior and bed with tinted bed liner material. At least I’ll enjoy running it in between stages. That’s my current thinking

Well, this is going well but slower that I had wished for. My goal now is to get everything cleaned , fixed replaced and adjusted so that the truck is reliable and useable before tearing it completey apart. Once I can run some miles up on it I will do the complete vehicle. some things are catching up to me. I have the bulldog determination to do anything I would do if I was 35 years old but I am way too close to turning 71 shortly and I just do not have the endurance for those all-nighter and weekend stretches. My strength has really changed in the last year. My 38lb Bag of cat food takes more effort to take out of the shopping cart than ever ! 🙄

I have been changing some of the wear items. Rebuilt the carb and it starts almost as well as a fuel injected engine. Did all fluids of course. Tried to buy a set of new stainless steel brake and clutch lines but theyre not too available for non-US. I just bought 2 rolls of stainless brake line tube and started making my own. That is going very well. Replaced the clutch master cylinder, new coil, added new dual horns and wiring for them. Cleaned and flushed out radiator and the overflow tank and saw a post on whitening the plastic using a 30% hydrogen peroxide solution so doing that this weekend.

I pulled out the seats and decided to cleanup the old glue and ( even though it may not fit perfectly) i put the City Racer front rubber floor mat. It fits the tunnel and both sides in a very acceptable way. The spot under the seats is where it loses that great fit. But a few small sheets of 1/8” rubber will make it look terrific. Replaced the plastic collar on the steering wheel, the old one was missing the top half. This came with the replacement dash cluster but the 50 amp ammeter was not attached since the wiring was different…so I had an old FJ40 cluster, removed the 30 amp ammeter and re-drilled the mounting holes for the 50A cluster and wired the thing up… it works perfectly with the new cluster. Also needed a new batter and alternator so those are in.

the Front bumper had a few waves in it and using a 24“ adjustable wrench< I was able to pull up or push down on those wrinkles to make it look more acceptable. I was in touch with OPMachine about his FJ45 bumper but he told me they were so busy in the shop that had no option to make a bumper until next spring. I took a 2x8’ piece of 3/16 steel and sliced it up to make a bumper. Looks fine and protects the rear end from some inattentive driver from smashing into the back. Easier to change a bumper than a new box. The windshield wiper motor was performing poorly, almost like vacuum operated wipers from the 1950’s. Took it apart, cleaned and lubed it…works like new now.

it is slowly getting colder here as winter approaches and that will limit my efforts further so since I am very close to having a reliable and functional truck, I can enjoy it more and drive it before it comes apart. I’d enjoy getting a few hundred miles on it before the snow comes, then I am convinced she’s ready to go

here are a few pictures.
72106803538__B762969B-20D2-44D4-A538-E407D588415C.jpeg
72106802212__101C26B1-66E7-481E-B55D-958BAA678ADE.jpeg

IMG_1099.jpeg
IMG_1056.jpeg
IMG_0923.jpeg
IMG_1089.jpeg

72106798610__36BF9DDB-7718-49A2-BFF4-713A7925FD93.jpeg
72106788944__23BD581B-A534-4FCB-B05D-6DA013E69E99.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg
IMG_0753.jpeg

Last edited:
Limit 10 photos so here are a few others. The air cleaner cover was smashed almost flat so I was able to cut out a piece of 4” by 8” section, hammer it back to shape and weld it back in. Tried to buy a replacement but that proved too be pricy. My repair came out better than I thought so it stays
IMG_1107.jpeg
IMG_0742.jpeg
IMG_0737.jpeg
IMG_0826.jpeg

IMG_1098.jpeg
IMG_1096.jpeg
72106782662__1BD7BB9D-C28C-4FB8-B415-4D8BBC540B50.jpeg
IMG_0796.jpeg
IMG_0729.jpeg
IMG_0728.jpeg

I found a black rubber diamond plate pattern mat made by rubber-cal. I used it to fill in the areas that the City Racer floor mat doesn’t cover. I know it is not meant to fit an FJ45 but it does look good and I found no other options. This Rubber-Cal material seems to mold very nicely to the curves in the floor and I am thinking that , if I can find a large enough piece … I might just pull the entire mat and fit a Rubber-Cal piece to the entire floor. If I can cut the intricacies just right, it may just look great. I’ll keep updating as I go
IMG_1377.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom