1965 fj40 suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey I e never purchased or owned one of these but I would like to restore this 1965 fj40, any idea what a fair price is for this?

1965 FJ40 with small bock V8 conversion, 3 speed, 4x4. Body is in overall decent shape except for rust spot under rear license plate frame and surface rust on wheels. Has factory spare tire swing mount (with spare tire), rear bi-fold window, roll bar, hard top, wagon style wheels, vacuum shift 4x4, all glass, tow bar, good tires, probably original axles. Master cylinder and rear wheel brake cylinder leak, emergency brake cable inoperative, unk if speedometer and gauges works. Needs window felts, door gaskets, misc tlc,,,

Any thoughts are very appreciative as I am new, but I do enjoy diy.

Thanks

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks like a good project.
how many posts until the bezel police?

that's not a "rust spot" under the license plate frame.. that is a completely rotted our rear sill and rear quarter panels. and the rear wheel well openings are cut. i bet there is more rust hiding around. I would pay 2-4k if it doesn't run and maybe 4-8k if it does - depending on how well the conversion was done, how extensive the rust is, and how much other mechanical work needs to be done

that all being said I'm sure the person selling it is asking $20k...

Looks like fun. How much do you know about its history? Maintained? Left to sit after being towed for a long time behind an RV? I agree with the prior price assessment, if you can get it running and take it for a spin and it feels nice, you may end up paying whatever the guy wants, because in the end you fall in love and to hell with it, it's only money.

Rust is always worse than you think. Are you planning a complete restoration or jus fix it and drive it? Parts are getting expensive and harder to find. I have spent a small fortune restoring my 77, it has been a lot of fun and I really enjoy working on it. I hope I enjoy driving it! Everyone that sees it, or should I say, sees all the parts, loves the FJ40. Old and young people alike. Great vehicle, great group on MUD.

I had rust similar to that, except it was covered with all kinds of repairs. At least you know yours is rusty!

Go for it.

Rust, shmust. If the powertrain has spent any significant time behind the V-8, budget a rebuild for the trans, transfer and rear end. Doors don't rattle much when the vehicle is on jack stands.

Looks funky around wheel wells... Possibly cut for flares ... Rear quarters had work done at one time as well it looks like

5k isn't all That bad if the back isn't that bad... But... As I said it seams like there are old repairs SOOO who know just how bad it will be

Still 5k in this market is kinda good even if rusted :meh:

And who knows what condition the engine and such is in

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom