1976 FJ40 Axle ID/Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
Was hoping someone could provide some insight into what axles I currently have under my 40 and best direction forward.
When I purchased this FJ40, it had a tbi 350. I'm taking down to the frame and swapping in a Cummins r2.8. My primary intention is to have a reliable daily driver and something I can explore the mountains with (trails/potentially very light rock crawling, traversing through rocky areas).
I am not really familiar with FJ axles, but from the research I've done, I believe these are 76' or later FJ40 axles? I suspected later model due to the Aisen hubs; however, read somewhere that they were offered sparely in 76'?
Any help would be much appreciated in IDing these and if I'm going to the frame with suspension upgrades, would these axles be a good choice to rebuild (ARB lockers, updated axle shafts, birfs etc.) or would there be better/stronger choices? I plan to open these up once I get things disassembled a but more ro inspect spline count/size.
Thanks!

20230628_095525.jpg

20230628_095531.jpg

20230628_095558.jpg

20230628_095608.jpg

20230628_095616.jpg

It appears you have fj40 axles. 76 was the first year for disc brakes. To determine what you have you should go to the top of this section and click on FAQs and scroll down to frt ends and read the 1st two threads or more. There were slight changes thru the yrs. If you put an ARB in the frt, I'd recommend alloy birfs too.

It appears you have fj40 axles. 76 was the first year for disc brakes. To determine what you have you should go to the top of this section and click on FAQs and scroll down to frt ends and read the 1st two threads or more. There were slight changes thru the yrs. If you put an ARB in the frt, I'd recommend alloy birfs too.
I appreciate this!
I had searched through the FAQ section; however, never looked at tge tech trivia (great resource)!

Tech trivia is good , but scrolling after getting into faqs and look at front ends, and read the knuckle and then the lockout threads will help determine what you may have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom