1965 fj40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20150705_144056_resized_1.jpg
20150705_144056_resized_1.jpg
when the suspension is fully compressed things get a little tight

Last edited:
Very interesting for sure, Im doing a 66 , will be watching .what goes on in the steering and brakes dept.

_0222835.JPG
_0222843.JPG
Haven't got to the steering yet.
brakes are all chevy 1/2 ton disc front and rear _0222835.JPG _0222843.JPG

Last edited:
20150718_173644.jpg
20150719_210314.jpg
20150718_173644.jpg 20150719_210314.jpg
Started working on rear shock mounts this weekend.

Last edited:
20151104_203205 (1).jpg
20151104_185243.jpg
Finally getting around to posting more photos.
Had to lay the shocks back kind of like the new jeeps do. I did this becouse I didn't want them to come through the tub. Made some strong boxes that fit up inside the fender wells to attach them to.
20151104_203205 (1).jpg 20151104_185243.jpg

Last edited:
did you take the springs off and cycle the suspension? I'm concerned that you've made a triangle - and that would make for a harsh, harsh ride. I'd also be certain that the tire won't hit the spring when the axle is crossed up... I went a slightly different route by using separate coil springs - but that was more because I wanted the ability to haul pretty substantial loads (4 Searcn and Rescuers) and maintain my ride height/travel...

did you take the springs off and cycle the suspension? I'm concerned that you've made a triangle - and that would make for a harsh, harsh ride. I'd also be certain that the tire won't hit the spring when the axle is crossed up... I went a slightly different route by using separate coil springs - but that was more because I wanted the ability to haul pretty substantial loads (4 Searcn and Rescuers) and maintain my ride height/travel...

When I cycle the rear end it comes close to the tire bud doesn't hit. My axles are wider than stock so I have a little extra room between the frame rails and tire. Not sure about the triangle aspect. The new jeeps have the rear shocks laid back. I had to go a couple more degrees than what they have because the length of my shocks. I have 14" travel shocks. The original plan was to do a cantilever but it would take some finagling because of the four link and extra gas tank.

thought I would post a couple of photos of the suspension cycling.
Now that I have all my shocks and the correct length springs I'm going to cycle it again.

20160508_123247.jpg
20160507_152802.jpg

Got the new shocks on the rear of the FJ and thought I would see how much the driveshaft grew at full droop.
looks like it grew about 1.5" I think I can live with that
20161015_155338.jpg

Got some new KC headlights at the off road show in Pomona. I think they fit the looks of the car. I thought about a projection light but that seemed a little to modern for the old FJ.
20161003_170134.jpg

A friend of mine came over and was harassing me about my motor mounts. so just to shut him up I ended up making new ones.
And of coarse I ended up making them twice because the link bar hit it when it twisted. ggrrrr
20160220_195437.jpg

Made the front hoops out of some 1.5 DOM View attachment 1340184
I like the stance. We're the rear wheel openings like that originally? I think I would mount the front coilovers with the reservoirs forward rather than back to keep the reservoirs as far away as possible from the headers. I wish I had started with a early 60s 40 myself personally, they have the,most character I think. That's really cool u still have the factory soft top. What color you going to paint it? Toyota made some really cool colors in the 60s for 40s. Is your Dad still around to see your progress?

I like the stance. We're the rear wheel openings like that originally? I think I would mount the front coilovers with the reservoirs forward rather than back to keep the reservoirs as far away as possible from the headers. I wish I had started with a early 60s 40 myself personally, they have the,most character I think. That's really cool u still have the factory soft top. What color you going to paint it? Toyota made some really cool colors in the 60s for 40s. Is your Dad still around to see your progress?
Yes dad is still around. I bounce ideas off of him all the time. I'm going to keep it the original color. I guess I'm just used to it that way. Back in the sixties you had the choice of round or Square when you cut out the fenders. Dad went with round he liked it better I guess. It makes it a pain for me because I made the openings a little bigger for the new tires and the fender flares don't fit anymore so I have to make new ones. Back in the eighties when I got this Cruiser dad had a new top made for it. It hasn't seen much use. it is still folded up in the top of a closet all the original bows are on a shelf in the shop.

Last edited:
20161018_203300.jpg

I got the front shocks mounted. have some mods to do to the fenders and I have to remake the lower link brackets so the bump stops can use them as a flat spot to hit on.

So whats the latest greatest thing in steering ball joints? will the stock Dana 60 joints be strong enough?
I also have to build a Pan hard bar. How big of johnny joint will be big enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom