1965 fj40 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I thought I would share by build with some of you land cruiser fans out there.
I guess a little history is in order. My parent bought this cruiser new in 1965. In 1968 my dad dropped in a 427 BBC that he got out of a friends wrecked corvette stock transmission and stock transfer case. In 1973 my dad rolled the cruiser turning it over three times and totaling it out. After buying it back from the insurance company he completely rebuilt it.
Fast forward to 1983. After several years of hard wheeling the cruiser had been sitting in my grandparent back yard for about five years and needed a lot of work. (tires, brakes, top, paint. After some coaxing from mom dad gave the cruiser to me for my sixteenth birthday I spent the next few week going through the old tired cruiser, doing the hole wax on wax off thing. In 1987 I came home from collage for the summer and decided to take part of my student loan money and rebuild the old cruiser. I guess I may have bitten of more than I could handle. With the cruiser completely apart I got as far as rebuilding the motor before I ran out of money. In 1991 I moved to Arizona to finish school. a couple of years later I thought I would work on the cruiser again. I brought the frame and body back to Arizona from mom’s house and I got as far as getting the body work done before life happened again and it ended up getting stored in part at a friend’s shop and my dads house. Fast forward to November 2013 the wife and I decided to go test drive a new Jeep. I think that was the shortest test drive I have ever been on. My wife didn’t like the new jeep at all she said it was to plastic. Now to the good part. After discussing it with my wife she suggests I take the money we were going to spend on the new jeep and spend it on fixing the old land cruiser. Needless to say it didn’t take much convincing. A couple of weeks later I made a road trip, gathered up all the cruiser parts that were scattered over three states now and brought them to my shop to start this build.

P1012703.jpg

Wise decision--a metal vehicle vs a plastic one.

Plus you have lots of family history in that to enjoy.

Good luck on your project, and welcome to Mud !

very interesting history ... that alone makes it pretty special ... it must have been a monster with that 427 in it ... glad you decided to fix it up ... looking forward to following your build ... welcome to Mud ...
:cheers:

Love that you have kept it in the family, and your dad was a rebel to throw in a 427 into a 3 year old vehicle, crazy big engine for a 4x4 in the 60's. Would love to see some pictures of it from the 60's and 70's

this is how it looked in 1985 when I was driving it to high school.
1985 toy.jpg

Not in good shape. this is before the body work was done. late 90 early 2000's

This is the plan. Since I’m not into rock crawling much I wont to build a good all around have fun toy that the wife can drive.
Since the motor is already built and I already have it, it stays.
4l80e trans if I can get it to work. With the drive shaft length if not probably a turbo 400
Atlas transfer case
Dana 60 front diff shortened
14 bolt diff in the rear shortened
Four link front and back.

Love that you have kept it in the family, and your dad was a rebel to throw in a 427 into a 3 year old vehicle, crazy big engine for a 4x4 in the 60's. Would love to see some pictures of it from the 60's and 70's

Ill see if I can scan in some of the photos from my old slides

Glad you're going to bring her back to life. When you get frustrated or discouraged, and you will, just look at some of the build threads here on MUD. They are powerful motivators.:cheers:

Glad you're going to bring her back to life. When you get frustrated or discouraged, and you will, just look at some of the build threads here on MUD. They are powerful motivators.:cheers:

That's good advice. I am making good progress though. I got both axles built and I am starting on the trusses for the four link.
I try not to get burned out I have a couple projects going. I also race desert quads so I work on that and Im remodeling part of the house. there are some nice rigs out there.

Most high schoolers would not last a couple years in a '40 with a big block.

Love that motor in a '40. It it the same block? 427? Cool.

The 4l80 isn't that much longer than a 4l60. If you use an electric fan and move the motor forward it should fit ok. A HMMV nv242amg would be a cool transfer case (awd) if you wanted to deal with a driver's side front drive.

Fun ride. I'm not sure I have the self control to not get in a bunch of trouble in such a thing.

BTW, it's going to get 5-8 mpg.

Last edited:
I got the Housings back from the differential place and got them back together. I had them narrowed to 60” WMS to WMS, A little wider than stock. Although I’m changing all the drive train I still would like it to look like a cruiser. I decided to go with a ARB air locker in the front and a Detroit locker in the rear. I also started to make the templates for the trusses. Rims also arrived so I had them mounted and balanced. 35 “ Nito tires with 17” rims

_0222839.JPG
_0222838.JPG
_0222846.JPG

Last edited:
Most high schoolers would not last a couple years in a '40 with a big block.

Love that motor in a '40. It it the same block? 427? Cool.

The 4l80 isn't that much longer than a 4l60. If you use an electric fan and move the motor forward it should fit ok. A HMMV nv242amg would be a cool transfer case (awd) if you wanted to deal with a driver's side front drive.

Fun ride. I'm not sure I have the self control to not get in a bunch of trouble in such a thing.

BTW, it's going to get 5-8 mpg.

Yea I broke a lot of parts and got in a little trouble. I also learned a lot about mechanics working on that cruiser. I ordered a Atlas transfer case should be here in a couple of days. the motor is the same 427 that dad put in it. it used to have three duce's on top. The solid lifters are a pain always have to adjust them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom