Crusty FJ40 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time member, but first time posting.
Recently picked up a 1977 FJ40 out of Indiana. Supposedly has been sitting for at least 10 years, possibly up to 20 years.

Was originally sold new in Indianapolis (have the original title). Spent it's entire life in southern Indiana, hence all the rust.

Plan is to get it running and driving first, then worry about patching up the rust. I'd like to get it to a pseudo daily driver status, will also see some dirt road and overlanding style wheeling. I'm sure it will snowball into a much bigger project, like the rest of my projects tend to do.

PXL_20230930_130819927.jpg

Spent some time cleaning it up and taking invetory of what all needed attention. First thing was to get it fired up. Ended up ordering a PerTronix 1662LS electronic ignition module to replace the points in the distributor, and bypass the ignitor module. Cleaned the carb and I got it fired up running out of a fuel jug. Immediately found that the water pump was frozen, so that is on order. Moved onto the clutch, and ended up replacing both master and slave cylinders. I think it still needs some bleeding, but it does go into gear and engages enough to move.
PXL_20230930_225011178.jpg
PXL_20230930_225108969.jpg

Wow, I thought mine was rusty! You have your work cut out for you, I look forward to future posts as you restore it.

Welcome. Are you in the midwest? I'm surprised no one has mentioned the upside down bezel. As rusty as it is, I wonder if it can be turned around. What's going on with steering rod. I'd like to see what it's connected to.

Last edited:
Sending you a PM. I may be able to help.

Long time member, but first time posting.
Recently picked up a 1977 FJ40 out of Indiana. Supposedly has been sitting for at least 10 years, possibly up to 20 years.

Was originally sold new in Indianapolis (have the original title). Spent it's entire life in southern Indiana, hence all the rust.

Plan is to get it running and driving first, then worry about patching up the rust. I'd like to get it to a pseudo daily driver status, will also see some dirt road and overlanding style wheeling. I'm sure it will snowball into a much bigger project, like the rest of my projects tend to do.

Welcome. Are you in the midwest? I'm surprised no one has mentioned the upside down bezel. As rusty as it is, I wonder if it can beMidwest? around. What's going on with steering rod. I'd like to see what it's connected to.
Yeah I'm in Northern Kentucky. The 40 lived in Indiana it's whole life. Bezel is completely rusted out so there is no flipping it around. Steering relay rod is bent (maybe why it was parked years ago?). I'll likely upgrade to power steering and relocate the box very soon.

I'm on the east side of Cincinnati. I might have a relay rod if you need one. That's a hell of a bend.

You’ve got your work cut out for you but that battery tray looks supreme! Following!

I'm on the east side of Cincinnati. I might have a relay rod if you need one. That's a hell of a bend.
Does it have the spring loaded joint that goes on the pitman arm? Mine is a ball of rust, and I'll likely have to cut it off.

Does it have the spring loaded joint that goes on the pitman arm? Mine is a ball of rust, and I'll likely have to cut it off.

I think so. I'll have to check and see what I have. I'll let you know. It might take a couple of days or so.

@jonesy4x4, this has been sitting outside for probably 20yrs. It's yours if you want it. I'm south of Felicity and work in Beechmont. I do have one from my 75, which was replaced for a scout box. It would be $.
20231028_214650.jpg
20231028_215700.jpg

@jonesy4x4, this has been sitting outside for probably 20yrs. It's yours if you want it. I'm south of Felicity and work in Beechmont. I do have one from my 75, which was replaced for a scout box. It would be $.

Thanks, but I am pretty sure I'm just going to do a power steering upgrade and relocate the box forward to get rid of the relay rod.

Making some progress.
New fuel tank installed after making a patch panel for next to fuel filler.
Also got a new water pump and radiator in place. Water pump was locked up with corrosion. It is amazing how corrosive antifreeze is when left sitting for years.

Brakes are next on the list. Already had a new master cylinder, but the booster is shot. The housing rusted out where the check valve goes into it. Have to get one on order this week.

I haven't looked to hard, but is there a good write up about getting rid of most of the vacuum lines and smog components?

PXL_20231104_132911047.jpg

PXL_20231104_141610921.jpg

PXL_20231104_144218101.jpg

PXL_20231104_182522060.jpg

PXL_20231105_205459622.jpg

I just bought a new Toyota tank myself. They are spendy these days. What sending unit did you go with? My old sending unit was rusted completely. Mine was oriented different than what your showing. Not sure if it makes a difference.
Making some progress.
Also got a new water pump and radiator in place. Water pump was locked up with corrosion. It is amazing how corrosive antifreeze is when left sitting for years.

Brakes are next on the list. Already had a new master cylinder, but the booster is shot. The housing rusted out where the check valve goes into it. Have to get one on order this week.

I haven't looked to hard, but is there a good write up about getting rid of most of the vacuum lines and smog components?

View attachment 3474073

View attachment 3474074

View attachment 3474075

View attachment 3474076

View attachment 3474077

Making some progress.

View attachment 3474073

View attachment 3474074

View attachment 3474075

View attachment 3474076

View attachment 3474077
Maybe it’s my eyes but it appears you riveted some metal down then welded the seat mount to it. No chance rivets will hold if Your involved in an accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom