17x8 bastard factory wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why SCV? There are many chrome shops throughout the US.

I don’t know? Apparently wheels are a thing of their own according to my chrome guy. The chrome tens to pool in areas you don’t want it to unless you have special electrodes...(I lost interest) Anyone know a Specialty wheel shop closer to the south?

Last edited:
I live in Santa Clarita and work in Aerospace so we chrome parts here locally all the time.

So I gave out some bad info earlier in this thread, chrome shop informed me that the wheels do NOT have to be done in two pieces. You can dunk the whole wheel in the chrome vat. I’ll be chastising my buddy who told me that BS when I see him!
also, all wheel chomeing in the USA must go to Santa Clarita, ca. Must have special equipment for wheels. This project just got more $$

I was so confused when you said that earlier about the center section having to be chromed separately, that made zero sense to me.
And only one shop being able to chrome wheels also sounds pretty farfetched

yeah I thought the same about the one shop being it, I’m learning In real-time on this project!

That's awesome! I'd LOVE to have a set of OEM looking 17x8 wheels if I could get them in a 3" backspace. One thing I've never liked is just how narrow the wheelbase of the 60 series always is unless you get wheels with as little backspace as possible.

I’m expecting the title of this thread to read 18x9 tomorrow and a post saying that after a bottle of tequila you decided 17” didn’t make sense and the real booty bait was with 18”

lol, yeah if only I had a bigger lathe. The 17“ wheel maxed out my 18.5” swing!
8D859849-016E-434A-8D79-956EF1F5619B.jpeg
5C09DF9E-082D-4FA3-9768-3F186A190643.jpeg

These wheel hoops are pretty true, the Chinese factory welded center was 1/8” off. Shouldn’t matter I’m centering it off a matching tapered cut. taper cut on wheel center, taper cut on Toyota center, looking good, fitting good. Now it’s hay cutting time, gotta quit playing!

What backspace are you ending up with?

I’m doing 4” on my set, Basically stock truck 2.5 lift. my wife’s I plan to do 5” or 5.5” with tundra brake mod and 80 rear axle, 2.5” 80 suspension, if Jason will hurry up with those 60 front axle brackets.
that’s the plan.

So, I sent pictures for a quote to chrome wheel To Calchrome in Santa Clarita, ca. Pulido plating, mesquite, tx. We’ll see what they come back with.

Ok guys I’m back at it. After walking past and looking at progress I made on the wheel project for a year ( and the wife telling me to get off my ass on her fj62 project) I decided that I didn’t want to weld the original Japanese wheel center to the 17” wheel center that I taper cut mostly because of aesthetics, and because it limited my backspacing options. So I got some USA rings made to adapt the Japanese wheel center to the Chinese hoop. It keeps the original wheel look better in my opinion. the chrome shop will probably appreciate it better this way as well. I really like the new outcome, it’s at 5.25 backspace.

Trail Tailer front and rear 80 coil kits with lift on the way, Thanks Jason.

thanks to ACC in atl. for the locked 80 front axle, good people there. I never get to talk land cruisers, could have talked all day.

6.0 / 4L80/ split case ordered

E5D69682-A4C6-4A38-8C01-AAF00DD3B9E4.jpeg

I guess with all these parts on the way I better get to kicking wheels out the door! Lots of f...ing work!!

C427EAF9-02D0-45A5-B27A-392896A3BB81.jpeg
FB4C4FDE-8E29-4206-943B-4A93FEBFADF5.jpeg

15x6 vs 17x8.

02AB6600-07BC-477A-AD76-04C61CC32059.jpeg

Ok guys I’m back at it. After walking past and looking at progress I made on the wheel project for a year ( and the wife telling me to get off my ass on her fj62 project) I decided that I didn’t want to weld the original Japanese wheel center to the 17” wheel center that I taper cut mostly because of aesthetics, and because it limited my backspacing options. So I got some USA rings made to adapt the Japanese wheel center to the Chinese hoop. It keeps the original wheel look better in my opinion. the chrome shop will probably appreciate it better this way as well. I really like the new outcome, it’s at 5.25 backspace.

Trail Tailer front and rear 80 coil kits with lift on the way, Thanks Jason.

thanks to ACC in atl. for the locked 80 front axle, good people there. I never get to talk land cruisers, could have talked all day.

6.0 / 4L80/ split case ordered

View attachment 2706750

I guess with all these parts on the way I better get to kicking wheels out the door! Lots of f...ing work!!

View attachment 2706751View attachment 2706752

15x6 vs 17x8.

View attachment 2706753
Looks bigger 🥸

Thought I would share what I’ve learned spinning several wheels on my lathe.

17x8 vision wheels from summit are junk! The hoops are true but the centers are welded in crooked. So bad balancing would be very difficult! If not impossible. I’m just using the hoops in this project

fj60 wheels run very true when tightened by lugs studs, however the center bore has been not been consistently true. most center bores are around 1/16 out of round, which makes me think that a tire balancing shop could not spin these wheels true if they wanted to with the cones they use to tighten wheels and spin them.

I wonder how much better balance could be achieved if the balancer spun the wheel true !

I might have to run a weld bead around the ID of the center bore, just so I can bore it concentric with the lug stud holes.

Getting warm down in Bama, had to fab up some A/C!

Took an m1a1 chemical mortar & ammunition cart, cut it in half and widened it. My purpose was to have a dual purpose cooling machine for the shop, and brush pile accelerator!! Boy does it roll good over rough ground. Gonna have to scotch it good it may take off!

332CB21E-D4A4-431B-949C-20FC1F3D0598.jpeg
89F9428F-57FA-4166-9145-74FCCCE5C544.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom