100 Series Timing Belt and Water Pump Service Tips and Pointers Wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Les Summer

SILVER Star
Threads
In this picture, is that the engine serial number I see under the throttle body, and will it confirm the year of the engine?
I recently purchased a 2000 Land Cruiser, and I anticipate doing the timing belt on the truck in my future. I want to make solidly sure the engine was never replaced for when the time comes I need to set the cams at the correct marks for removing the timing belt.

I'll take any advice I can get for when the time comes to do this job. It's critical I don't make any mistakes, so I'm listening to anyone who has done this job and can give sage advice about things I might not be able to imagine or anticipate. I searched the forum on this topic, but no-one has created a thread and worded it quite like I have here. I'm not looking for a write up on the whole job, this thread is specifically asking for the outliers. The problems you just can't imagine were coming.

Stuck things, special tools you should have had on hand, special parts to keep on hand just in case, etc. Also, if you reply here, can you please follow this thread? I might come back here if in the future I'm in the middle of this job, and need emergency feedback. Thank you to anyone. Lester.

54335262.WaitingForATimingBelt.JPG

So as I contemplate the upcoming timing belt water pump job, I am thinking a lot about working height over the truck. I've already ruled out the option of a topside creeper. It just looks uncomfortable. I'm considering putting the truck up a little higher on jack stands, and then purchasing a folding contractors platform. You can get them at Lowes or Home Depot for around 75 bucks. It will give me great standing height in front of the truck, and is stable. Then I can get under the truck and have a lot of room working up from the bottom when I get after the AC bolts, hoses, or whatever.
scaffold platform

I think you may be giving this project too much thought - there is a lot of room underneath to access the few things you need to without jacking the vehicle up. 95% of this job is top down and a simple step stool will suffice for reaching a bit deeper. 👍

I think you may be giving this project too much thought - there is a lot of room underneath to access the few things you need to without jacking the vehicle up. 95% of this job is top down and a simple step stool will suffice for reaching a bit deeper. 👍
You sir, may be right. I actually don't want to buy a step platform. It'll just be another tool hanging around the garage I'm not using.

One of the most basic questions I should’ve asked from square one, and I’m just now coming to think of it with this job only about a week and a half out. What gear do I select while I’m doing this job? Do I have the vehicle in park? Thanks in advance anyone.

One of the most basic questions I should’ve asked from square one, and I’m just now coming to think of it with this job only about a week and a half out. What gear do I select while I’m doing this job? Do I have the vehicle in park? Thanks in advance anyone.
Yes

Definitely over thinking it. Vehicle stays in park and no need to lift the vehicle. I did mine in my driveway and only needed to get under it to drain the coolant and remove/ install the crank pulley.

Definitely over thinking it. Vehicle stays in park and no need to lift the vehicle. I did mine in my driveway and only needed to get under it to drain the coolant and remove/ install the crank pulley.
Thank you .

Makes no difference what gear transmission in. Other than "P" locks transmission, so vehicle will not roll. That and E-brake set on, along with blocking tires. Is best practice, when working on any vehicle.

ON July 18th, early in the morning, I will finally begin the timing belt water pump job. If I run into a real problem I will likely come here for advice. I expect a long and steady job with not too much trouble. I have the garage all in order. All the tools and parts are staged. I plan to complete the job in one go. I'm planning on spending most of the day on it. Wish me luck!

ON July 18th, early in the morning, I will finally begin the timing belt water pump job. If I run into a real problem I will likely come here for advice. I expect a long and steady job with not too much trouble. I have the garage all in order. All the tools and parts are staged. I plan to complete the job in one go. I'm planning on spending most of the day on it. Wish me luck!
Don't forget to get your Toyota red coolant and a few gallons of distilled water ahead of time as well. In my experience getting the red coolant from Toyota is hit and miss. I actually get mine from the nearby Lexus dealer instead since the Toyota doesn't carry it.

Don't forget to get your Toyota red coolant and a few gallons of distilled water ahead of time as well. In my experience getting the red coolant from Toyota is hit and miss. I actually get mine from the nearby Lexus dealer instead since the Toyota doesn't carry it.
Check! Did it today. I have already mixed it too. thanks!

I have now successfully completed the timing belt and water pump job with the Aisin kit. I have replaced my thermostat with a Toyota brand one, red Toyo fluid, and new Toyo serpentine belt. I learned a lot, it was very humbling, and I got a great deal of satisfaction from doing this job. It was one of the greatest accomplishments I've ever achieved working on my own vehicle. I feel amazing. OTRAMM THANK YOU!

TIPS AND TAKEAWAYS
As you can see from the pictures, I had this small rented garage space to work in. Imagine wedging half a LC100 in there, and having no AC or electricity in July. This was not a fun job under the circumstances of 1. it was a do or die situation involving my main and only vehicle upon which I rely, and 2. oppressive July heat was an obstacle. I started this job at 11PM at night (to avoid heat) and finished at 5:30PM the next day. I worked non-stop, taking short power naps on my creeper. This was my first time EVER working on a LC engine. Cockroaches kept me company at night as I worked, so that was a bonus I think.

TIPS
*Do not proceed with this job if you don't have a harmonic balance removal tool for the crank and a crank holding tool. It's essential.
*Many will say remove the radiator, but I didn't and you don't have to. (consensus)
*Don't underestimate the fan and fan shroud re-assembly. They must go in together. I learned the hard way near the end thinking I could install the fan first and then the shroud, only having to remove the fan once again when I was so tired and ready to be done.
*A long 12mm box ratchet with a thin head will be a great help with getting the nuts for the fan off.
*The AC bolt that you have to loosen in the back can be easy. I got on my creeper and rolled straight under the truck until I could see the bolt up through the bottom. I then reached around with my wrench and could see my socket, which made it easy to loosen that back AC bolt. This is the bolt you must loosen, NOT REMOVE, in order to wiggle the AC aside so you can remove the fan bracket.
*Latex gloves are nice for little jobs, but towards the end I was bare handed. I feel no gloves gave me more speed. Preference. Normally I protect my hands though.
*Make sure you get the surface where the water pump mates to the engine as clean as a whistle. take extra time on that area, and make sure you go for the A+ there. It'll pay off. you don't want leaks.

TAKE AWAYS
Mechanic work is hard work. I was humbled over and over many times while completing this job. It was also one of the most satisfying things I've ever done. I would have even enjoyed doing this if it was not a do or die situation with my only main vehicle. Always have respect for the tradesman who have dedicated their lives to their craft. OTRAMM is the YouTube channel that gave me a chance to do this, so Ryan, THANK YOU AGAIN for doing your videos. We are lucky there are tradesman out there who will share secrets of their craft.
Don't take this job lightly. Make sure you plan and then plan some more if you are just a DIY guy like me. Just gathering tools and parts before hand was a small undertaking. At 264,360 miles my truck is GTG for another 100k.

tempImageVzUKwl.png

tempImagezuEfmT.png

tempImageLAcDlO.png

Congrats to you for getting it done. My 90K is coming up & trying to find the courage to do it myself.
took all I had. I got rid of all my worries by adopting the attitude that I don’t give a care what happens and then I just gave it my best try. You can do it.

Iverano thanks for sharing your post. I'm gearing up to do my 2001 lx470. No idea when the timing belt was last changed. Few questions for you.
  • You didn't have to remove the ac compressor or open the ac system did you?
  • Did you use torque wrench when reassembling or just feel?
  • You replaced your water pump? Could you see or hear something wrong with the pump?
  • Did you align the cams TDC per the marks?
  • Did the new belt marks align with all cam marks?

Iverano thanks for sharing your post. I'm gearing up to do my 2001 lx470. No idea when the timing belt was last changed. Few questions for you.
  • You didn't have to remove the ac compressor or open the ac system did you?
  • Did you use torque wrench when reassembling or just feel?
  • You replaced your water pump? Could you see or hear something wrong with the pump?
  • Did you align the cams TDC per the marks?
  • Did the new belt marks align with all cam marks?
I'm happy to answer all of these. OTRAMM YouTube videos are a MUST WATCH!!!! if you are going to do this!!

1. No, I did not have to discharge the AC system. I only had to loosen one AC bolt, and removed two.
2. Yes, I absolutely did use a good torque wrench, and you should too. I used a Carlyle 3/8, but any good torque wrench will do.
3. No, I could not "see" any issues, but I noticed the new pump did not spin as freely as the old one. The old one did not have as much spinning resistance. I think my old one is a cheap chinese one.
4. TDC alignment is only part of the step. Once cams are set to TDC, you must go 50 degrees past TDC to remove the belt.
5. Yes, the new belt from the Aisin kit from Rock Auto had all the belt marks line up perfectly according to the marks on my crank pulley and cam pulleys.

Go to YouTube and search OTRAMM timing belt Part 1 and OTRAMM timing belt Part 3. There are other videos he does on this engine as well. Study the videos closely. Do not be ashamed if you watch them 4 or 5 times each while you are preparing for the job, buying tools, parts, etc. He is a well known guru on these engines, and was my teacher through YouTube. With guidance from his video, and carefully planning the job, I was successful in doing my own. Work hard, concentrate, you can do it! Good Luck!!
P.S.
Don't get in a hurry. If you feel like you are hurrying during the job, step back, slow down, and take your time.

Last edited:
I'm doing this job right now and trying to get the fan clutch out.

The AC compressor is a pain, There are 3 bolts in the front (i'm able to see them and touch them so I'm fairly confident I can get these out), and 1 in the rear which is a terror to get to. Do I really need to loosen the rear to make enough play for the fan clutch to come out?

Or can I just leave it there and remove the front 3 bolts, as technically the fan clutch is only mounted on the front 3?

I'm doing this job right now and trying to get the fan clutch out.

The AC compressor is a pain, There are 3 bolts in the front (i'm able to see them and touch them so I'm fairly confident I can get these out), and 1 in the rear which is a terror to get to. Do I really need to loosen the rear to make enough play for the fan clutch to come out?

Or can I just leave it there and remove the front 3 bolts, as technically the fan clutch is only mounted on the front 3?
I remember this well. lay down on your creeper and roll straight back by your drivers front tire and look up by where your compressor is. You can actually put an eyeball on that bolt and once you figure it out the exact location, and it’s actually not that bad. You just need the right variation of socket, ratchet and extension. Yes you need to loosen it, but only loosen it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom