100 series sleeping setup? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made this simple setup out of 1/2" Maple Ply, with some cheap home depot Grey indoor/outdoor to cover it all. Then used an Exped Megamat Duo with a Teton Mammoth 0* bag. It was a killer setup in 25* nasty weather this past weekend. I used UHMW for my 38" drawer slides. It's a great way to save hundreds of dollars on drawer slides and have a smooth rattle free setup.

For those who built full-on drawers systems using 1/2"... Do you feel there's enough strength in the material? I'm going back and forth between 1/2" and 3/4" in my head. Weight is a big consideration (and cost, to a lesser extent) but I also don't want flexing or anything. What's been your experience?

Last edited:
got the drawers and made some pulls out of amsteel, 19.75 x 36 x 7"
IMG_2877.JPG

Deciding on the best sleeper setup depends a lot on if your solo or with someone else and how much storage you need as well.

I went with the SS1 sleeper platform by ADGU. What it lacks in head space, it makes up for with storage space under the platform. IT is built on post so you aren't restricted to drawers and solid material. Lot's of options and ways to setup the 100 series with this setup.

I just purchased the SS1 as well. I wanted something that allows storage of a low profile cooler and gear underneath. Drawers are nice, but they also take up space.

I just purchased the SS1 as well. I wanted something that allows storage of a low profile cooler and gear underneath. Drawers are nice, but they also take up space.

Nice you will enjoy it. I went with no drawer for a year or so with the SS1 to see what we need. My most recent setup involves a drawer on one side that acts as the kitchen. Left side is all of the loose items and bags. Sides of the platforms work for chairs and other longer items.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I was able to make my own 2 part sleeper system and combine it with a Exped Synmat 10 sleeping mattress I bought previously for car camping. It fit great and the extra storage underneath was very much appreciated on a recent road trip. I'm 6'4" and fit just fine.

For those who built full-on drawers systems using 1/2"... Do you feel there's enough strength in the material? I'm going back and forth between 1/2" and 3/4" in my head. Weight is a big consideration (and cost, to a lesser extent) but I also don't want flexing or anything. What's been your experience?

On the SS1, we use exclusively 1/2", 11 ply Baltic Birch. If the system is properly designed, there's no reason to use 3/4" Baltic Birch. That's complete overkill and a large amount of excess weight.

I bought a gun safe at Cabelas a while back. I slammed that thing down on the platform, no problem. I think it weighs 300+ lbs.

1578504874915.png

Last edited:
On the SS1, we use exclusively 1/2", 13 ply Baltic Birch. If the system is properly designed, there's no reason to use 3/4" Baltic Birch. That's complete overkill and a large amount of excess weight.

I bought a gun safe at Cabelas a while back. I slammed that thing down on the platform, no problem. I think it weighs 300+ lbs.

View attachment 2176683

Building on this; here's a pic with 900 pounds of landscaping material on my SS1. I was prepared to keep going until it broke for some product testing, but ran of pavers and sand before that happened!

20180530_190328.jpg

I used Home Depot 1/2” sanded ply, glued and pinned, and while I’m not enchanted with the feel of the material, it’s holding up fine to lots of tree gear and my daughter climbing in and out.

Building on this; here's a pic with 900 pounds of landscaping material on my SS1. I was prepared to keep going until it broke for some product testing, but ran of pavers and sand before that happened!

View attachment 2176685

Nice pic... I beat mine up pretty good and there is no signs of stress. I went with herculiner over all of the wood which is nice for wet dog and snowboard rides.

Thanks guys.

I decided to construct the main box in 3/4 and everything else in 1/2". Going to pick up lumber in the morning.

I started on my drawer/platform build over the weekend. It's about 90% done, not including staining. Will ultimately carpet it.

Big priority was strength as the whole purpose for me is a sleeping platform. I used 3/4" birch for the main box and 1/2" for the actual drawers. I took a page from @Magnetic 111 followed his design in mine. I also built in a small space between the drawers and back of the 2nd row for a small cubby.

-UHMW slides
-Felt tape between all wood-to-wood joints to keep squeaks away
-Pocket hole screws on all joints except the top panel and 'rear' panel (facing the back of the 2nd row). Otherwise, no exposed hardware inside the drawers or on the main face in front of the tail gate
-Routed out sections to slide some 1/2" dividers in various sections of the drawers
-Recessed magnets inside the drawer face to help keep them in place. They slide smoothly but shouldn't move without intent.
-One sleep panel is cut and installed, the other needs a trim for width but is already drilled for the piano hinge. Ultimately will give lots of totally flat space inside with 2nd row folded down
-Wings on the side need to be cut, shaped, and attached. Plan is for one side to hold a quick fitting for my compressor and some power accessories.

20200112_140158.jpg

20200112_000302.jpg

20200112_171026_HDR.jpg

20200112_171034_HDR.jpg

20200112_171042.jpg

I also copied an idea from @abuck99 and got some of these battery powered LED lights from Amazon. They're supposed to be motion detecting, but this one I've powered up so far doesn't seem to make any sense in how it works. It'll only turn on now after removing/replacing the batteries. I've got 5 more, I'll figure it out.

IMG_20200112_182448_01.jpg

IMG_20200112_182328_01.jpg

20200112_171054.jpg

I have the full Trekboxx system so I just wanted a platform for the 2nd row. I haven’t found much out there, is 3/4 birch the preferred material?

I would use 3/4" for anything that's taking much weight, but I think the KISS and SS1 kits both use 1/2". I could be wrong, through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom