06 LX470 TPMS fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

Perhaps the only issue with my relatively new to me 06 LX 470 was that the TMPS light was on (solid) and the previous owner told me that it was an expensive fix. When I took it to have the t-belt the garage suspected that it was due to low pressure in the spare and much to my surprise they pumped it up and reset it - light off!

A thousand miles later and after a new set of tires, the TPMS light starts going off but this time flashing. I'm guessing these sensors are on their way out and possibly have never been changed and I want to get rid of the light once and for all but wanted to avoid paying the $70 a tire that Americas Tire quoted me.

I ordered 2 x 4 of these from eBay: 4X Genuine 42607-33021 TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR TPMS For Scion Toyota Lexus PMV-107J | eBay

I'm wondering what the next best step is - should I get the existing IDs from TechStream and then buy a cloner (or perhaps does anyone out there have a cloner handy?), or get these fitted and then program the vehicle with the IDs using TechStream? Any procedures to be aware of to activate these or turn them on?

Cheers,
Francis

Get a cable that supports techstream write commands. V2.X I think. Once you have the right cable you can write the codes to the car very quickly and easily.

Buy new sensors, write down the codes and take pictures of them.
Have tire place install them into wheel.
Program your new sensors after the tire place predictably fails to pair them successfully.

My local place was very hit or miss. First visit, they read 3 out of 5. Next visit they could only read one out of 5. I could see the measurements in techstream so I knew techstream could see 4 out of 5. I eventually got the tire shop to pull up the transmitter ID and I bought a 2.X firmware cable. Did it myself in about 2 minutes once I had the correct cable.

Once I get my new wheels I'll buy a full set of new OEM sensors. They last quite a while. Annoying expense when you have to buy 5 at a time, but overall it's not much $ if you program it yourself and have a normal tire shop do the install during a normal tire change.

I think the dealer estimate I got was around 5x the cost of buying genuine sensors via McGeroge and using my local tire place.

did you ever check the spare tire? had a light and all preasures were good, checked with the guys that do our tires at work and he said to check the spare, sure enough it was low.
this was on a 06 Tundra.

There are also two tpms programs - intended for two complete set of wheels - summer tires and winter tires. Maybe check to se if you have the correct program on. The button to toggle between them is in the glove box.

Do you know the part number for the OEM sensors?

did you ever check the spare tire? had a light and all preasures were good, checked with the guys that do our tires at work and he said to check the spare, sure enough it was low.
this was on a 06 Tundra.
FYI:
Flashing: Sensor not found
Solid: Pressure out of spec

I'm kinda over the tpms system - anyone aware of the best way to just disable it?(pull a fuse?) It's always going off on my wife's lexus too.

I'm kinda over the tpms system - anyone aware of the best way to just disable it?(pull a fuse?) It's always going off on my wife's lexus too.

I don't think there's a standalone fuse or plug for the system that will turn off the light. I've seen people pressurize a small tank and throw all the sensors in there, but that seems like more work than just fixing the system with the sensors installed.

Do you have techstream? You can see which sensor is the issue pretty quickly.

I don't think there's a standalone fuse or plug for the system that will turn off the light. I've seen people pressurize a small tank and throw all the sensors in there, but that seems like more work than just fixing the system with the sensors installed.

On my old Sequoia I grounded out the light. It was easy, I’m sure it’s possible with a 100 if you know which wire to ground.

Yes I do have techstream, I think it has been thr same sensor #3 iirc. I could look into just replacing that the light is starting to drive me nuts

Yes I do have techstream, I think it has been thr same sensor #3 iirc. I could look into just replacing that the light is starting to drive me nuts
I replaced one and then another went out. They're all original, far as I know, so probably just time to replace them all. I imagine most folks have at least a sensor or two that are still original and are due for replacement.

If you replace one at a time and they all happen to die around the same time, that would be pretty infuriating because it would feel like 5 separate failures in succession. If you just replace all of em once the first dies, even with genuine OEM parts, it's like $250 and little additional hassle beyond a normal tire install.

Once I get my 17" wheels, I'll get a set of 5 new Toyota TPMS sensors and hopefully not think about TPMS again for 5-10 years on that set of wheels.

Thanks for all the responses. As I mentioned I bought these on eBay and they claim to be OEM. At just under $100 for 8 sensors it's quite a bit cheaper than McGeorge. Think these will do the trick?

They arrived today and look like this...... Look like the real deal? You can't tell easily from the photos but the battery and circuitry is encased in epoxy/resin.

PXL_20201204_012431901.jpg

PXL_20201204_012438639.jpg

Thanks for all the responses. As I mentioned I bought these on eBay and they claim to be OEM. At just under $100 for 8 sensors it's quite a bit cheaper than McGeorge. Think these will do the trick?

They arrived today and look like this...... Look like the real deal? You can't tell easily from the photos but the battery and circuitry is encased in epoxy/resin.

View attachment 2514746

View attachment 2514747

That appears to be a fake.

1. The font is wrong on the part number sticker.
2. Bar code looks blurry.
3. That is way too cheap to be genuine OEM. McGeorge is barely above wholesale. IE, if it's more than ~$10% cheaper than McGeorge it's very suspicious. 8 sensors should cost around $500. 8 sensors for $100 is "too good to be true" territory.
4. That body style matches the 42607-33022 part number, but the text is in the wrong places.
5. That body style does not appear to be correct for part 42607-33021.

I'd return that and buy genuine OEM - not via eBay, but through an actual online dealer.

I did the black electrical tape highly technical correction to the flashing TPMS light.

It's a rotten banana job.

Hey guys,

Well I finally fixed my TMPS issues today! Really isn't that bad once you know what to do and get a working version of TechStream. I used the TPMS sensors I bought above (yes there's a chance they might be knockoffs but given it's a non-critical part I'm prepared to give them a shot and so far so good).

So first I got a mini VCI cable from eBay. It came with a version of TechStream which I managed to get working on an old Macbook Air in Bootcamp on Windows 8, but it was a huge pain in the arse and it was giving me an error when I tried to update the TPMS IDs. Ultimately what worked was the VirtualBox image in the TechStream in 5 minutes thread, using the latest version of VirtualBox 6.1 on my Macbook Pro running MacOS Big Sur. Although it temperamental with the screen sometimes hanging, only working after the VCI cable being plugged in after Windows XP loaded and crashing, if you minimize your clicks and get right to what you want to do, it worked for me.

Step 1 was to diagnose the problem with the flashing TPMS light. Here's what the Data List told me:

PXL_20201219_194353664.jpg

So TMPS sensor 2 wasn't transmitting a signal.

Step 2 was to identify which wheel was TPMS sensor 2, so I started letting air out of a tire at a time, watching the pressures update. I wrote down each of the sensor IDs with where they were on the car, including the spare. Having identified that it was the front passenger wheel and it's corresponding ID, I knew which one to get changed out and also which ID to replace in TechStream with the new sensor.

Step 3 was to then replace the ID of the dead sensor with the new one I intended to replace it with. I went through the utility in TechStream with all the working sensors and replacing the dead sensor with the new ID.

Step 4 was to take it to a shop to have the TMPS sensor replaced. As the shop wanted $25 per wheel, I decided to do two wheels (the dead one and one with a buggered thread) instead of replace them all - I guess I'll wait till my next set of tires for that unless one dies in the interim. As far as I'm aware there wasn't any activation of the sensor required.

Here's a photo of the old one that came out and the VCI cable:
PXL_20201221_042722417.jpg
PXL_20201220_202750146.MP.jpg

With the new sensor in, the TPMS light immediately went out and TechStream showed all five pressures being monitored and within range (above 23psi). If you do what I did, keep a record of the new sensors so if you want to replace the old ones in the future, you'll know (or be able to figure out) which tires they're in!

Hey guys,

Well I finally fixed my TMPS issues today! Really isn't that bad once you know what to do and get a working version of TechStream. I used the TPMS sensors I bought above (yes there's a chance they might be knockoffs but given it's a non-critical part I'm prepared to give them a shot and so far so good).

So first I got a mini VCI cable from eBay. It came with a version of TechStream which I managed to get working on an old Macbook Air in Bootcamp on Windows 8, but it was a huge pain in the arse and it was giving me an error when I tried to update the TPMS IDs. Ultimately what worked was the VirtualBox image in the TechStream in 5 minutes thread, using the latest version of VirtualBox 6.1 on my Macbook Pro running MacOS Big Sur. Although it temperamental with the screen sometimes hanging, only working after the VCI cable being plugged in after Windows XP loaded and crashing, if you minimize your clicks and get right to what you want to do, it worked for me.

Step 1 was to diagnose the problem with the flashing TPMS light. Here's what the Data List told me:

View attachment 2530565
So TMPS sensor 2 wasn't transmitting a signal.

Step 2 was to identify which wheel was TPMS sensor 2, so I started letting air out of a tire at a time, watching the pressures update. I wrote down each of the sensor IDs with where they were on the car, including the spare. Having identified that it was the front passenger wheel and it's corresponding ID, I knew which one to get changed out and also which ID to replace in TechStream with the new sensor.

Step 3 was to then replace the ID of the dead sensor with the new one I intended to replace it with. I went through the utility in TechStream with all the working sensors and replacing the dead sensor with the new ID.

Step 4 was to take it to a shop to have the TMPS sensor replaced. As the shop wanted $25 per wheel, I decided to do two wheels (the dead one and one with a buggered thread) instead of replace them all - I guess I'll wait till my next set of tires for that unless one dies in the interim. As far as I'm aware there wasn't any activation of the sensor required.

Here's a photo of the old one that came out and the VCI cable:
View attachment 2530574View attachment 2530575

With the new sensor in, the TPMS light immediately went out and TechStream showed all five pressures being monitored and within range (above 23psi). If you do what I did, keep a record of the new sensors so if you want to replace the old ones in the future, you'll know (or be able to figure out) which tires they're in!
Awesome follow up! This also reminds me that the fix for my blinking TPMS light is probably only $95 or so with an OEM TPMS sensor. Time to make that blinking light go away!

Thanks for the advice that contributed to the fix!

Based on this video () I'm curious if you put in the sensor IDs (all of them or just the one that's broken) as 0000000 whether that would disable the system and get rid of flashing lights?

Thanks for the advice that contributed to the fix!

Based on this video () I'm curious if you put in the sensor IDs (all of them or just the one that's broken) as 0000000 whether that would disable the system and get rid of flashing lights?

To answer this one year old post questions- if you set 0's instead of a code for each TPMS sensor the vehicle will not look for it.
I had one sensor fail (flashing TPMS light) and confirmed with techstream. I replaced the code with 0's and the light is gone.

To answer this one year old post questions- if you set 0's instead of a code for each TPMS sensor the vehicle will not look for it.
I had one sensor fail (flashing TPMS light) and confirmed with techstream. I replaced the code with 0's and the light is gone.
I wonder if it will come back over time. The "signal lost" error lights were very delayed for me. Tens of miles and multiple days. Let us know if it comes back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom