Budget Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
Price of an OME setup got you down? Here is a soloution that works great for me.

MAF AAL (4) $85-yes they do flex all the way to the bumps. Leafs provided exactly 2" of lift; not 1-7/8 or 2-1/8"
Ranch-Whore 9000 adjustable (buy 3 get one free) $206
Extended Shock Hoops $50: I know, "I'd just build my own"!
Poly Bushings $50
Nix the sways (Free)
Let's see, that's $391; I'd call that "Budget".
I'm very happy with the setup and it's more comfortable on the road than before. Flex is nothing to complain about either.
I may look into a little longer shackle later.
FrontGroove.jpg

if it doesn't you might have just became my best friend with this information.

lunyou

the extended shock hoops appear to be welded.

good writeup. gives us all something to think about. post up again when you've ridden it a few months and see the settle.

loeky said:
the extended shock hoops appear to be welded.

good writeup. gives us all something to think about. post up again when you've ridden it a few months and see the settle.
do you think they are going to settle??

lunyou

What does the extended shock hoop do exactly?? what size tires are you runnin

The MAF long add-a-leafs are an excellent alternative. I like mine:beer:

akarilo said:
Price of an OME setup got you down? Here is a soloution that works great for me.

MAF AAL (4) $85-yes they do flex all the way to the bumps. Leafs provided exactly 2" of lift; not 1-7/8 or 2-1/8"
Ranch-Whore 9000 adjustable (buy 3 get one free) $206
Extended Shock Hoops $50: I know, "I'd just build my own"!
Poly Bushings $50
Nix the sways (Free)
Let's see, that's $391; I'd call that "Budget".
I'm very happy with the setup and it's more comfortable on the road than before. Flex is nothing to complain about either.
I may look into a little longer shackle later.

If your selling the sways, PM Me I have someone in need of a rear sway bar

David

Un-Flexed Side Shot (Requested)

The tires are TSL Radial 33x12.5
As for the Hoop questions; By giving the shock mounting points further distance betwe
RearQtr.jpg
en them, you can fit a much longer shock and still have enough compression travel without bottoming the shock. The longer shock enables the axle to travel down further without running out of shock. I was only able to get 22" top/bottom with the old setup fulled drooped. It streched to 30" top/bottom with the new setup and the shock still has another 4" of shaft left. I'm working on some other mod ideas to get max flex from this setup.

Welding

Lunyou,

Sorry, but this does require welding. I've seen another post on here where sombody used the Ford shock towers, drilled and tapped the frame, then bolted them up. If you search enough I'm sure you'll run into it.

KR

hoops or Ford towers should only be needed on the front. You can take them somewhere and have them welded on. Don't let weldign scare you off. (I did for awhile as well.)
-Even if you go with the Ford towers and bolt them on. You still need to get them welded.

You can drive around without shocks to get them welded on. Just make sure you measure and center etc.

Where did you get the hoops? Or were they custom?
I always wonder if the body or the rod is supposed to be up on the shocks.

89s rule said:
Don't let weldign scare you off. (I did for awhile as well.)

I have never welded and do not have the resources to learn right now. I was just wondering that if i did go to the lenghts of getting this done if i would have to find someone to weld....

Another thing. If you don't get the hoops are the stock shocks okay to use for a while??

lunyou

Hoops

I got the hoops off of Ebay for $49. They are a replica of the Marlin Crawler and All Pro Off Road vesions.
As for the Rod up or down, depends on what shock you are running. I ran the Bilsteins on my 4-runner shaft down, but the 9000 Rancho seems to work better with the body at the bottom; (from my experience anyway).

lunyou said:
I have never welded and do not have the resources to learn right now. I was just wondering that if i did go to the lenghts of getting this done if i would have to find someone to weld....

Another thing. If you don't get the hoops are the stock shocks okay to use for a while??

lunyou

I do not have resources to weld either. But someone around you does. At a min take them to a shop. Shouldnt cost much.

Stock shocks may work but do not plan on them lasting as you will not have all the travel needed with them. (You can get stock mounting shocks, they are usually harder to find though.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom