'82 FJ60 Suspension ???s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New poster here. Been lurking for a while for tips and tricks to keep my truck keepin' on.

Mine's a tan '82. I'm the second owner, and it has just over 208,000 miles on it. All original except for the stereo, which itself is from the late '80s. Almost period correct. LOL

I'm growing weary of the body roll around corners. I just bought new Bilstein shocks - not installed yet - but I think the leaf springs might need to be replaced too. I called a shop in California (Atlas) and they quoted a little over $2K to ship new springs, bushings, and U-bolts. I also looked at Old Man Emu springs, but I can't find them in the stock ride height. I don't want any lift over factory ride height. Any thoughts?

At any rate, I just wanted to say "hello" and that this is a great community with a wealth of knowledge!

20181020_142520.jpg
20190503_145958.jpg
20200525_173457.jpg
PXL_20220716_000901141.jpg

Dobinson's for another choice of leaf springs?
Is the front axle sway bar in place and are the bushings in good shape, same for the leaf spring shackle pins?

Dobinson's for another choice of leaf springs?
Is the front axle sway bar in place and are the bushings in good shape, same for the leaf spring shackle pins?
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like everything they offer is 45-50mm lift.

First of all, that is a beautiful survivor you have there, welcome to the forum.

I bought an FJ60 three years ago with a monster truck lift and I’m still looking for the right way to return it to a stock suspension. There are some easy options but they’re pricey. SOR sells their “grocery getter lift kit” which is an Old Man Emu setup modified for comfort and close to factory height but last I looked that was $2000+. Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit sells a stock height kit that is a custom spring, I think they charge a little less than $2000. I’ve heard good things about the Atlas springs but again $2000ish. Lastly, the springs linked above look like a decent price, but if they’re made by General Spring/Dayton Spring/probably some other generic name (which the part numbers suggest) I would stay away. I unfortunately pulled the trigger on them a bit ago and I was not impressed. Ride is great, But brand new the rears are saggy and worn out looking. See my pictures in the post below. I’m also linking a good (but not very conclusive) thread on the topic that also has some pictures of the ”cheap” spring option. Good luck!

You can't go wrong by calling up industry leader Alcan Spring, they'll make you whatever you want. :)

FJ60 and body roll in corners is the nature of the beast. The problem may not be body roll (per se) but your expectation on how this dinosaur should ride.
-All- modern vehicles ride better than the FJ60. Going from a modern vehicle to the 60 usually results in the following thought: “Man this thing rides like crap “.
But drive it around long enough and you get used to it - and eventually it’ll seem fine.

That’s my experience anyway.

FJ60 and body roll in corners is the nature of the beast. The problem may not be body roll (per se) but your expectation on how this dinosaur should ride.
-All- modern vehicles ride better than the FJ60. Going from a modern vehicle to the 60 usually results in the following thought: “Man this thing rides like crap “.
But drive it around long enough and you get used to it - and eventually it’ll seem fine.

That’s my experience anyway.
This is in line with my initial thoughts. But after 40+ years and 200K miles I figured a spring refresh couldn't hurt. The rear seems to be sagging to me - I don't know maybe that's just the way it's supposed to look?

I installed the Bilsteins, which improved the ride quality considerably but predictably did not affect the ride height. So I replaced them with some Monroe air shocks that provided the ride height adjustment I was looking for. Also, the steering feel has improved noticeably with the rear sag removed.

Is there a walk through of this mod?

Here’s my 83 on completely stock suspension. Even has 40 year old OEM shocks on the back still!
Only modification is a set of Boss airbags that replace the factory bump stops in the rear.

The ride is……so-so. My truck only has 130k on it and it’s in desperate need of a refresh, which I’ve been saying I’ll do for the better part of 5 years now and haven’t. So if you want to keep the factory stuff and just get a little height in the rear back and/or a little less body roll, bags may be an option for you.

IMG_3448.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom