HJ61 on-road suspension and tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
My one-owner HJ61 from Spain is at the uphoulstery shop right now to have the seats sewn with a fun Scottish tartan wool. Then it heads on a ship for America!

The suspension is, as far as I can tell, original and quite tired. With a new interior, fresh paint job, and full dealer mechanical service I need to bring the suspension up to standard. My priority is on-road ride comfort, as the roads where I live are quite rough.

I'm currently leaning towards a Dobinsons suspension kit and Michelin Defender 31" tires. I was eyeing 33" tires but with the 3.70 gearing I worry 5th gear on the H55 will be too tall. My '07 LX has 33" BFGs so I'm familiar with how they drive. I'm also considering sticking with stock springs and Bilstein shocks, as my priority is ride quality not a lift.

Would love to hear any thoughts, opinions, or experiences

I run 3.70 with H55F and (true) 33's on my HJ-61. It is a bit tall but the 12H-T revs low. Shift points are inconvenient and reverse is wicked tall. I sometimes need to shift to 4 Lo when parking or backing a trailer.

I swapped diffs to 4.11 for a while and felt it was reving way too high on the highway. I ended up swapping back and have left it 3.70.

I put OME heavy springs under it and added another leaf to the front pack to handle the waight of the PTO winch. Will be curious about how your Dobinsons turns out.

When it arrives you’ve got to show us the “seats sewn with a FUN Scottish tartan wool”! That alone would be an off-road comfort experience for me.
1699892466264.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom