Builds Moonshine - A Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im guessing rear hatch? do you still have the rear washer tube in it? when I ran a new hose I popped out the exterior rear vent and ran a coat hanger up and over to where the rear cargo light is and pulled it back down. It will fish pretty easy thru the hatch.

Im guessing rear hatch? do you still have the rear washer tube in it? when I ran a new hose I popped out the exterior rear vent and ran a coat hanger up and over to where the rear cargo light is and pulled it back down. It will fish pretty easy thru the hatch.

Thanks for the tip man, great idea! I do think the washer tube is up in there.

Ill give that and / or the coat hanger trick a go later this week.

did you put something in between fans shroud and rad, to help seal there .?

have a upper view both parts together ?

that was great idea use square tube as bracket ..

did you put something in between fans shroud and rad, to help seal there .?

have a upper view both parts together ?

that was great idea use square tube as bracket ..

I did not use any foam between the shroud and radiator. The fit is pretty tight, tighter than the stock shroud IMO. I'll give you a top-down picture later tonight.

I did not use any foam between the shroud and radiator. The fit is pretty tight, tighter than the stock shroud IMO. I'll give you a top-down picture later tonight.

thanks .. that's looking extremely nice .. keep that list close ;)

thanks .. that's looking extremely nice .. keep that list close ;)

I'll write up a list of parts when I'm done if you'd like :D

Here are some top edge pictures. Less than 1/8" gap at the widest part. Insignificant, IMO. If I wanted to get really crazy, I could put a piece of foam over this seam, but I don't think it'll help much so I'll keep it the way it is.

IMG_20120910_212649.jpg

IMG_20120910_212707.jpg

Over the past couple of days, I've received a bunch of stuff from Scott @ TNDieselPower.com. Super knowledgeable guy and willing to discuss just about anything related to Cummins motors and related conversions over the phone. I highly recommend him for any Cummins related part!

Head bolt stretch measurement tool. Turns the guesswork of replacing head bolts into a science:
IMG_20120910_214441.jpg

So many little bits! Gotta figure out where they all go :lol:
IMG_20120910_214740.jpg

IMG_20120910_214913.jpg

Also got my 60# valve springs, 3800rpm pump spring, stage 2 fuel pin and KDP tab:
IMG_20120910_215143.jpg

Oh man Johnny that is some fun stuff. It's a little overwhelming to see all that stuff, but go slow and follow all the directions and piece by piece they will dissapear. It will be a lot easier than you originally thought! Can't wait to see the build pictures of this engine!

Got the new radiator / fan assembly installed tonight. Doesn't leak, but I wasn't able to run it long enough to make it warm so the fans would kick on. Looks pretty good in the engine bay though :grinpimp:

Old and busted:

IMG_20120913_204820.jpg

IMG_20120913_204829.jpg

IMG_20120913_212225.jpg

Look at that hole! Way easier to change the belts this way :hillbilly:

IMG_20120913_212256.jpg

IMG_20120913_222554.jpg

New hotness:

IMG_20120913_232923.jpg

IMG_20120913_232932.jpg

More than enough clearance between the electric fans and the pulleys:

IMG_20120913_232938.jpg

IMG_20120913_232945.jpg

IMG_20120913_233049.jpg

I'm going for a couple hour drive tomorrow so the fans will get a good workout. Everything should work perfectly, but the real test will be in the driving.

Parts list:

1x Dorman brand 1996 Ford Contour V6 radiator fan shroud ( comes with motors and fans )
2x Motor Pigtails
1x Flex-a-lite fan control relay / wiring kit
4' of 1" square tubing
6x sets of bolts, washers and nylock nuts for securing the shroud to the tubing ( I used 5/8" fine thread )
5x sets of bolts and lock washers for securing the tubing to the radiator ( M8x1.25 IIRC )
1x roll of electrical tape

Last edited:
I'll tell you what my boss told me when he saw my shiny new engine in my old engine compartment: Looks like a diamond in a goat's a$$. lol!

Looks real good though. Very nice fit. If that won't keep it cool, nothing will.

I thought you were prepping that bad boy for when you put the 4bt in. Speaking of which...??

Parts list:

Will try to make it better .. with your permission ..

1x Dorman brand 1996 Ford Contour V6 radiator fan shroud ( comes with motors and fans )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RADIATOR-CO...ur&hash=item3a674bdb9d&vxp=mtr#ht_2924wt_1038

2x Pigtails

?

http://www.amazon.com/Flex---lite-3...sr=1-1&keywords=flex+a+lite+fan+control+relay

4' of 1" square tubing
6x sets of bolts, washers and nylock nuts for securing the shroud to the tubing
5x sets of bolts and lock washers for securing the tubing to the radiator

I'll tell you what my boss told me when he saw my shiny new engine in my old engine compartment: Looks like a diamond in a goat's a$$. lol!

Looks real good though. Very nice fit. If that won't keep it cool, nothing will.

I thought you were prepping that bad boy for when you put the 4bt in. Speaking of which...??

:lol: That's a good one! I was thinking the same thing when I put this thing in. I was telling Laura, it's easy to tell what's new because the new parts are the only ones that are clean!

The electric fan install is part of the 4BT prep work. My motor didn't come with a mechanical fan, so this was in the works from the get-go.

The mentality for installing this ahead of time was that I want to change as few systems at a time as possible. That way troubleshooting is way easier should I encounter a problem. For example, with this new fan, if the new motor is running too hot, then I know have to adjust the thermostat on the fan controller because I know this motor's temperature range. As another example, I bought a bunch of parts to adjust my IP with, but I'm not going to open it up until the motor is in the truck and drivable. I know the injection pump is tuned correctly now, so better start off with a running + driving truck before messing with things.

Will try to make it better .. with your permission ..

2x Motor Pigtails
4' of 1" square tubing
6x sets of bolts, washers and nylock nuts for securing the shroud to the tubing ( I used 5/8" fine thread )
5x sets of bolts and lock washers for securing the tubing to the radiator ( M8x1.25 IIRC )

Absolutely! I was thinking about this while driving around today. I meant to put links in last night but I was too tired ;p Links added above and to my original post.

..I bought a bunch of parts to adjust my IP with, but I'm not going to open it up until the motor is in the truck and drivable. I know the injection pump is tuned correctly now, so better start off with a running + driving truck before messing with things.

What things did you get for the IP so far? Some of them may be easier to deal with having the motor on the engine stand.

What things did you get for the IP so far? Some of them may be easier to deal with having the motor on the engine stand.

3800rpm governer spring and a stage 2 fuel pin. What do you think?

didn't Clint come up with connector alternative .. was better than yours ?

Yes sir, that's the link I used, the place Clint found.

Tested out the fans pretty well this weekend, offroading at the ONSC Cruisin' Carolina event at Uwharrie National forest. The fans did great! Kept the motor nice and cool all weekend. I needed to turn down the thermostat a bit, but that's why its adjustable. The fans move a ton of air btw!! At 60% ( low speed) I can feel air being pulled through the grill into the motor at a good pace. Very happy with this mod thus far.

On a plane to Cali right now for work, but when I get back, the head will be picked up and the motor reassembled. :bounce:

Hey Johnny didn't know if you might be interested in this https://forum.ih8mud.com/atlanta-custom-creations/610318-acc-fall-gathering-gmp.html.... Myself and a few other ohio/nky guys are planning on heading to GMP for this and just thought i would throw it out there for ya...

The diesel is coming along nicely... I need some of your motivation so i can get to work on mine... I just about got all the big ticket items sitting in the garage now...

:cheers:

Did you find an NV4500 yet? There is a used parts supplier here in Knoxville that has one for $1100. I checked the mileage on it but can't remember what it was exactly, I think somewhere around 150k. Let me know if your interested.

I also just finished reading your entire thread. Its been a wealth of knowledge. I am in the process of getting my 4BD1T mocked up and wanting to do a SOA. Reading this has given me a lot of insight. THANKS and keep up the good work.

I have a 2f and trans for sale if you know of anyone wanting one. :cheers:

3800rpm governer spring and a stage 2 fuel pin. What do you think?

Fuel pin is easy to get to whenever but there would be an advantage with the head off to get the top of the IP off and put in the governor spring. So I would suggest putting in the spring now and playing with the fuel pin later.

You're getting 60lbs valve springs right? You probably mentioned it already but I cannot remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom