1997 fzj80 turns over and shuts off immediately. HELP!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just some background info in case it helps. 1997 1fzfe 80 series 315k miles. Recently installed a new exhaust system which blocked off the EGR port. Ran fine for 3 min after the exhaust install then died and never started again. The motor turns over and it starts for about a half a second and it shuts off. I have checked a couple of things: alternator, fuel pump relay, battery. I ordered a fuseable link to see if that does anything. Here are some pictures and once i figure out how to post a video I will post one of it trying to start. If anyone could guide me in a better direction or help me with some troubleshooting I would really appreciate it :)

IMG_4920.jpeg

IMG_4921.jpeg

IMG_4923.jpeg

IMG_4922.jpeg

My first suspicion is that you have disconnected/broken the connection to the MAF meter. The ECM does not get the signal telling it that air is flowing into the engine, so it assumes the engine is not running and does not energize the fuel pump. The engine will start because of the start override for the fuel pump. As soon as you release the key from the start position, that override is canceled and the engine dies.

Check and make sure you have not dislodged the plug at the MAF. I have seen it happen a couple of times, including driving down the backroads when the retaining clip was not properly engaged. Make sure you have not damaged the harness that runs from the firewall(ish) to the MAF. I believe that the harness in your pic, right beside the exhaust, with the grey sheath over is it.

Mark...

Last edited:
My first suspicion is that you have disconnected/broken the connection to the MAF meter. The ECM does not get the signal telling it that air is flowing into the engine, so it assumes the engine is not running and does not energize the fuel pump. The engine will start because of the start override for the fuel pump. As soon as you release the key from the start position, that override is canceled and the engine dies.

Check and make sure you have not dislodged the plug at the MAF. I have seen it hapen a couple of times., including driving down the backroads when the retaining clip was not properly engaged. Make sure you have not damaged the harness that runs from the firewall(ish) to the MAF. I believe that the harness in your pic, right beside the exhaust, with the grey sheath over is it.

Mark...
That would be my first guess also. You can take the black cover off without damaging anything and inspect the mechanism. Just don’t pull on the plug.

was the battery disconnected? I'm somewhat doubting the ecu is having to relearn how to idle since i'm sure you have tried starting it many times by now.
But what happens if you start it and give it just a little bit of gas just to keep the motor from stalling?

Turns out the alternator brushes were shot causing the battery to basically completely drain. Changed out the brushes and got the battery charged. Runs great now😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom