Builds 1984 Pickup Rebuild (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I feel your pain. There was time from when I got my workshop under roof and enclosed to when I had power run out there - and that was twenty plus years ago, so it was before cordless tools were an option. I had two 10ga extension cords run out from the house any time I was working out there. After getting the panel in and the cable run to connect it I realized I should have done that much sooner even if I only had a couple outlets wired up directly below the panel.

No pictures, but I got the 8 holes for the transmission crossmemeber drilled out and tapped due to 4 of the 8 being stripped. I also got the high steer setup partially installed. I’m working on getting the box in the right spot and as far forward as I can go without cutting stuff.

I will say the new marlin crawler website is awful on mobile and it looks like they really slimmed down their selection for the older trucks. I was thinking of getting their HD box mount and it’s no longer offered as well as their high steer is no longer offered (or I couldn’t find them). I’m also not a fan of the black and white rebrands everyone is doing. Makes me glad I have some of their older stickers lying around still.

No pictures, but I got the 8 holes for the transmission crossmemeber drilled out and tapped due to 4 of the 8 being stripped. I also got the high steer setup partially installed. I’m working on getting the box in the right spot and as far forward as I can go without cutting stuff.

I will say the new marlin crawler website is awful on mobile and it looks like they really slimmed down their selection for the older trucks. I was thinking of getting their HD box mount and it’s no longer offered as well as their high steer is no longer offered (or I couldn’t find them). I’m also not a fan of the black and white rebrands everyone is doing. Makes me glad I have some of their older stickers lying around still.

You going flat pitman for the box relocation?

I'm not a big fan of the revamp either. That's a bummer on the steering arms. I couldn't find them either. I hope isn't a sign of the "new Marlin" brand, but it seems pretty apparent in the direction Big Mike wants to take it. Can't really blame him too much. Times change. These trucks aren't the common standard they once were and brands like TG really undercut a lot of people out of business.

I'm not a big fan of the revamp either. That's a bummer on the steering arms. I couldn't find them either. I hope isn't a sign of the "new Marlin" brand, but it seems pretty apparent in the direction Big Mike wants to take it. Can't really blame him too much. Times change. These trucks aren't the common standard they once were and brands like TG really undercut a lot of people out of business.
ironically he's becoming the thing he swore to destroy. 🤣

sky's is another decent source for mini truck stuff.

Yes, it’ll be a flat pitman arm for this install. Back when I ordered this kit I had read a lot of threads talking about the use of a flat pitman arm. The original plan was to run one from skys offroad but right now it’s just about getting it running and driving again.

I think part of why these trucks suffer now is the insane prices. A decent used one is around 8-15k in my neck of the woods (PNW) it seems and the used tacomas are around the same price too. I’ve been watching one slowly drop its price over the last couple of weeks from 15k to 12k with no real modifications and it looks beat to hell.

ironically he's becoming the thing he swore to destroy. 🤣

sky's is another decent source for mini truck stuff.
Sky’s is a great place that has quality parts. Definitely leagues above most of what else is out there now. It’s crazy to me how many companies TG owns now.

I had some time on my lunch today so I removed the torque rod bracket from the frame and started test fitting the box. I think I’m going to reuse the one factory hole (I’ll drill it out and sleeve it with the reinforcement kit). It feels pretty far forward and if I close the gap anymore I run into issues with the factory steering box bolt hole being there. The pitman arm and drag link end link clear the frame nicely on lock to lock.
IMG_4039.jpeg
IMG_4041.jpeg
IMG_4042.jpeg

I do have to laugh at this, this kit is from Low Range Offroad that I bought back in 2016. I’ve tried multiple ways and unless I’m missing something, it just doesn’t work the way they say it does. They claim that the 1/4” thick plate is for outside of the frame rail and the 3/16” is the inside piece. If I mount it that way I’ll have to do a bit of trimming and it honestly fits like crap. Alternatively I could use the 3/16 piece on the outside frame rail and it fits a lot better without a bunch of trimming. I may order Sky’s kit that’s meant for a flat pitman arm. Or I’ll cut this one so it actually fits the frame rail
IMG_4037.jpeg

Dang, you weren’t kidding about Marlin’s new site, it’s awful. I actually really liked how the original site was laid out, very functional. This new site takes way too long to navigate and find anything. Change sucks

Last time I did the brakes on this truck I put the pads on wrong so I need to replace the rotors due to the hat being grooved pretty good from the squealers. I decided to take things apart tonight and figure out what setup I had done and a lot of water got in on the drivers side.

The spindle has some good pitting and the bearings are toast. I also forgot that I did FJ60 rotors that require drilling out the mounting holes for the hub to rotor mating. After remembering this and how miserable it was I may end up going with the FROR big brake kit and just being done with it all. Slip on Taco rotors sound a lot better than drilling 6-12 holes every time I need to replace rotors.

Edited to add: I know people have out JB weld on the knuckle balls to smooth out any pits, is this a viable option for the spindles? I don’t mind buying new ones but if these could be saved it would be even better. My thoughts would be to JB weld and sand with find sand paper/emery cloth until it’s smooth again.
IMG_4063.jpeg

IMG_4064.jpeg

IMG_4065.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m also debating on sending my hubs to Sky’s and having them machined down to fit regular Tacoma rotors. The only thing I don’t like is I’ve already milled some material off of my knuckles and mounted the brake calipers on the outside of the ear and used 1/2” grade 8 bolts to secure the calipers. I’d probably need to add a washer to get the proper spacing and that doesn’t sound the best for a DD/hunting rig that may see 70-75 mph.

I’m also debating on sending my hubs to Sky’s and having them machined down to fit regular Tacoma rotors. The only thing I don’t like is I’ve already milled some material off of my knuckles and mounted the brake calipers on the outside of the ear and used 1/2” grade 8 bolts to secure the calipers. I’d probably need to add a washer to get the proper spacing and that doesn’t sound the best for a DD/hunting rig that may see 70-75 mph.
you get a new bracket with the big brake kit. your knuckles have to swap sides
i would probably replace the spindle.
myself and @aztoyman had fitment issues with skys brackets, so it might be worth an ask when you tt them

I appreciate the offer if I lived closer! The more I think about it, I think I’ll just run the current setup. With this needing a new engine, needs tires still and an exhaust I can save a decent chunk of money. My plan is next year to do from and rear lockers so I’ll just build in the FROR big brake kit into that budget and call it a day.

Outside of the spindles, the brake rotors, pads, and wheel bearings are only $200 from RockAuto compared to $875 for the big brake kit

Got my new seats in. I have a feeling I’m going to end up returning them, the side bolsters are too high and it’s a pretty tight fit. They claim up to a 42” waist and I’m at about 32 and there’s just enough room for spreading the legs to avoid discomfort down there. They’re the Baja suspension ones from Corbeau. I also ordered their brackets so everything was a bolt in one and done. The quality of the seat is nice but I don’t think they’ll work well on long drives or if my parents ever ride in it for hunting.

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4049.jpeg

Got my new seats in. I have a feeling I’m going to end up returning them, the side bolsters are too high and it’s a pretty tight fit. They claim up to a 42” waist and I’m at about 32 and there’s just enough room for spreading the legs to avoid discomfort down there. They’re the Baja suspension ones from Corbeau. I also ordered their brackets so everything was a bolt in one and done. The quality of the seat is nice but I don’t think they’ll work well on long drives or if my parents ever ride in it for hunting.

View attachment 3582455

View attachment 3582456
Thinking about getting a different Corbeau seat and seems to make sense to use their brackets. Have you had a chance to test the brackets? Fir well? Feel sturdy?

Thinking about getting a different Corbeau seat and seems to make sense to use their brackets. Have you had a chance to test the brackets? Fir well? Feel sturdy?
I haven’t tested them yet but the build quality seems good. I’ll grab some more photos of the brackets tonight and get them installed on the seats to test them a bit.

Good to know about the bolsters. I'm trying to decide on seats but I'm in no hurry at this point. I think I would need the taller backs. I have a long torso. Wish I knew of a place that had displays I could sit in.

I had a chance to throw the seats in, the brackets aren’t the best imo. I’m going to have hell getting all the bolts in and it makes the seats tall. I’m 5’ 6” and sit pretty high up in the truck with them on the seats. I would say they aren’t worth it if you have other brackets you can make work. The old seats in this truck were from an 89 and didn’t fit at all so that’s why I ordered these ones.

Good to know about the bolsters. I'm trying to decide on seats but I'm in no hurry at this point. I think I would need the taller backs. I have a long torso. Wish I knew of a place that had displays I could sit in.
I’ll add I did speak too soon in a way, in the truck the seats are nicer than with them on a couch. The bolsters still suck due to the height but I don’t think I’m going to spend the money to send them back. You have to pay for both the return shipping and the original shipping if you return the seats.

I had a chance to throw the seats in, the brackets aren’t the best imo. I’m going to have hell getting all the bolts in and it makes the seats tall. I’m 5’ 6” and sit pretty high up in the truck with them on the seats. I would say they aren’t worth it if you have other brackets you can make work. The old seats in this truck were from an 89 and didn’t fit at all so that’s why I ordered these ones.
Thanks for sharing. I may look at the planted brackets and figure out a universal slider. I'm definitely concerned about sitting too high.

Here’s more photos of the bottom of the brackets. With the seats mounted and me in a. Comfortable position, I have about 4.5” above my head. I’ve also smashed my shoulder and head on the door getting in and out due to the side bolsters.

IMG_4079.jpeg

IMG_4080.jpeg

IMG_4082.jpeg

IMG_4083.jpeg

IMG_4084.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom