What did you do to your pig today? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My brother finishing up "Daisy"

Screenshot_20240308_222329.jpg

Screenshot_20240308_222244.jpg

Screenshot_20240308_222228.jpg

Today, just cleaning off the tops of pistons and the block. Using Seafoam because it's not too toxic to engines and I had a bunch. I rotate the crank so the pistons are down some, pour some in and let it soak a bit, Rotate again so 2 are TDC and scrub away

20240310_133955.jpg

20240310_133332.jpg

20240310_133417.jpg

@Pighead I’m about to either tackle this or farm this out for Marge. Could you put a list of parts you picked up for this job and where you sourced them?

@Pighead I’m about to either tackle this or farm this out for Marge. Could you put a list of parts you picked up for this job and where you sourced them?
Sure.
First I sent away to Jim C. for a set of his plugs for filling the air injection ports, had the machinist order a valve job gasket kit (it's a Fel-Pro gasket kit, which is OK but I wanted an OEM head gasket and Kurt was out of them so ) I went to the dealer and got a head gasket and some hardware. 8 new manifold studs and matching nuts (my old ones are probably fine but I like shiny things). Green scotchbrite pads, solvents and cleaners of all types. Thermostat gasket, but that should be in the kit,
I'll add on as I remember stuff

20240307_150311.jpg

@Pighead is the machine shop going to shave the head or was it flat?

new valve seals I’m assuming?
How bout valve guides?
Springs?
Spring keepers?
New freeze plugs?

Last edited:
@Pighead is the machine shop going to shave the head or was it flat?

new valve seals I’m assuming?
How bout valve guides?
Springs?
Spring keepers?
New freeze plugs?
They will, of course, check for flatness. I asked them not to shave it more than absolutely necessary. It was shaved once when I built it the first time.
I asked for chevy type valves in stainless steel. They'll need new guides and seats and springs and stuff, and there's a guy in town who makes custom valve stem seals. Hadn't thought about freeze plugs as yet

Custom valve stem seals ???????? tell us more

What specific problem are we trying to fix here, and why are the cheap and common solutions inadequate?
A set of valve stem seals, which are good for 200k as long as you don't overheat, are available at just about any machine shop for $20 or so. They're working just fine in millions of engines right now...
What gives?

Not the same as Toyota 2f seals we tried some LS seals and they leaked oil , Put stock seals in ,all good now
Halfwacked tell him

Maybe custom seals due to the SBC valves? I have no idea. Total newb to head rebuilding that’s why I’m asking questions. Would like to get and build correctly and or instruct machine shop on what is “best”.

nope. My mistake, I must have mis-heard. What he's gonna do is turn down my valve stem bosses to fit the stems that fit the chevy valves. sorry.
I did go and visit the shop today. Valves are chevy size and stainless steel. He's working on the porting now.

20240315_144537.jpg

20240315_144622.jpg

What specific problem are we trying to fix here, and why are the cheap and common solutions inadequate?
A set of valve stem seals, which are good for 200k as long as you don't overheat, are available at just about any machine shop for $20 or so. They're working just fine in millions of engines right now...
What gives?
No specific problem other than routine maintenance. I figger an engine rebuild every 500K or so and a valve job every 250K or thereabouts. I've been putting it off long enough.
and the chevy valves are a little bigger and might flow more air, a little porting and polishing can't hurt too.

I learned the hard way I had head Rebuilt purchased valve seals for Toyota, Shop says they won’t work, So we put Chevy LS seals in it look almost the same as what came off head but no rubber on bottom they did not work every time I started it it smoked, Georg at Valley Hybrids found me the right seals, The short seal is what came with the the head gasket kit did not work for me, Please post pics of the machine work on the top of head for the seal ,

IMG_3862.png

IMG_1682.jpeg

IMG_1681.jpeg

Are OEM Toyota valves still available? My searches are turning up a big fat no but you guys always seem to have sources I’m not looking at.

Are OEM Toyota valves still available? My searches are turning up a big fat no but you guys always seem to have sources I’m not looking at.
It looks like the Intake valves and the earlier Exhaust valves are available. I get discontinued on the later Exhaust valves. I didn't do an exhaustive search though.

13711VALVE, INTAKE
13711-600216
13711ASEAL OR RING, O(FOR VALVE STEM OIL)
90913-02017(10/1970 - 07/1976)12
90913-02030(08/1976 - 09/1978)12
13711BSPRING, COMPRESSION(FOR INNER)
90501-4534212
13715VALVE, EXHAUST
13715-60032(06/1973 - 07/1976)6
13715-61010(08/1976 - 06/1980)

Partsouq does show a non-OEM alternate for the later Exhaust valves. Guessing there would be other aftermarket options.

I learned the hard way I had head Rebuilt purchased valve seals for Toyota, Shop says they won’t work, So we put Chevy LS seals in it look almost the same as what came off head but no rubber on bottom they did not work every time I started it it smoked, Georg at Valley Hybrids found me the right seals, The short seal is what came with the the head gasket kit did not work for me, Please post pics of the machine work on the top of head for the seal ,

View attachment 3583205

View attachment 3583208

View attachment 3583213
Which one are you going to use? What are we looking at in the 2 pics above?

K the seal on the right is a 2F seal , on left is a Chevy or LS seal , Note the 2Fseal has the hard rubber inside also, apparently that 2F seal is Limited, It different than the other short 2F seal

IMG_3862.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom