Your Thoughts on the LC 250? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, all,

I'm new to this forum and cars in general. I didn't care so much for cars until I saw the LC 250 announcement back in last August. I'm excited for it in these coming months.

I'm hopeful, yet remaining skeptical, of the LC 250's performance. On paper, it looks nice. It gives a nice HP and ft/lbs than its predecessors. Sure, the MPG isn't so great, but again, better than its predecessors, and all of that hybrid engine power went to, again, the performance for the vehicle. It's not entirely wasted. I'm not too displeased with the hybrid setup, as I trust Toyota's hybrid systems since they've been in the game since the late '99s, and from what I've learned from car buddies, Toyota know what they are doing.

I've read many and many comments regarding the LC 250 on YouTube, Reddit. But I'd like to know what ih8mud users' opinions are. Thank you and I'd appreciate the positive discussion.

The LC250 is extremely polarizing here on the forum.

For the typical use case of a grand majority of land cruisers it will be a great vehicle. There are of course some odd design choices here and there but I believe it’ll hit Toyotas design target of the weekend warrior.

Is it as heavy duty as the outgoing 200 series, hands down no.

You will undoubtedly get a lot of varying opinions here, but I’d suggest taking all of them including mine with a grain of salt. Test drive one once they’re available at dealers and decide if you like it.
I’d also test drive an outgoing 200series for comparison.

The LC250 is extremely polarizing here on the forum.

For the typical use case of a grand majority of land cruisers it will be a great vehicle. There are of course some odd design choices here and there but I believe it’ll hit Toyotas design target of the weekend warrior.

Is it as heavy duty as the outgoing 200 series, hands down no.

You will undoubtedly get a lot of varying opinions here, but I’d suggest taking all of them including mine with a grain of salt. Test drive one once they’re available at dealers and decide if you like it.
I’d also test drive an outgoing 200series for comparison.

Well said.

This forum is like jabba the hut’s bar scene in Star Wars, a lair of data-intoxicated (or starved) eccentric enthusiasts gnashing about details at the far fringes of what most buyers would care about.

Last edited:
Like has been said, there are a lot of opinions on this forum. I think it will be a good vehicle, but I would recommend getting your hands on one when they come out, drive it and form your assessment based on your driving impressions. Before driving it, clear your head of the commentary provided by us in the peanut gallery and drive it with an open mind. I think a big knock on it at first will be the Toyota Dealers pulling their ADM BS trying to take advantage to those desiring to be the first kid on the black with the new Toy. I will not seriously consider buying one until a year or two after they are out to diminish the ADM BS from the Dealers. I do plan on looking them over and driving one at the first opportunity.

If they called it the 4Runner people would have likely been much happier all around
4Runner would have at least been closer to being accurate but there's literally a dictionary full of all sort of words that could have been used without whoring out the premier brand name and the legacy it earned.

Thank you for your input. The opinions here seem consistent across the platforms I mentioned. I do intend to test drive both the GX550 and LC250.

So far, I only see myself doing, from most frequently to least, road trips across states, camping, and off-roading. Which I've never been off-roading before so I'll start lightly.

Thank you for your input. The opinions here seem consistent across the platforms I mentioned. I do intend to test drive both the GX550 and LC250.

So far, I only see myself doing, from most frequently to least, road trips across states, camping, and off-roading. Which I've never been off-roading before so I'll start lightly.
This will be a great truck for your use case.

In all openness, I'm high on my dealer's list for the GX550 and will likely take delivery once my name is called.

As far as a test drive goes…
The FJ62 brand new off the lot was a horrible test drive. The acceleration of that vehicle was (and is) absolutely beyond sluggish. It is really really slow.
Judging by the test drive of that vehicle alone — it was an easy pass up. Not fun to drive at all.

But…
That vehicle has stood the test of time and is a proven off-roader. A fine vehicle.

So I wouldn’t put too much weight on the thrill factor (of lack of it) when test driving a LC. There’s a hell of a lot more about a land cruiser than acceleration.

I think it's a great looking vehicle and that fact alone skews judgement. We are simple and emotional creatures and styling alone can blind us to reality.

I've got a 100 series and I wouldn't mind having something a bit more modern that I don't have to maintain as much since I do all my own work. But the sacrifices I would have to make, money aside (not counting dealer mark ups!) just does not make it worth it for me. The Land Cruiser has been watered down for a long time now and we can all debate when that began but it's inarguable that it is not the same vehicle, built on the same principles, that it once was. I'll take a "heavy duty" LC with the maintenance that comes with it any day over a "light duty" LC and an absurd car payment.

Last edited:
I think it's a great looking vehicle and that fact alone skews judgement. We are simple and emotional creatures and styling alone can blind us to reality.

I've got a 100 series and I wouldn't mind having something a bit more modern that I don't have to maintain as much since I do all my own work. But the sacrifices I would have to make, money aside (not counting dealer mark ups!) just does not make it worth it for me. The Land Cruiser has been watered down for a long time now and we can all debate when that began but it's inarguable that it is not the same vehicle, built on the same principles, that it once was. I'll take a "heavy duty" LC with the maintenance that comes with it any day over a "light duty" LC and an absurd car payment.

What about the 200 series do you considered to be 'watered down'? I know that previous iterations had more in terms of differential locks, etc.

Same here. Literally.

This is right on. This one is tough for me. It will be a great vehicle. The name is killing me. If I was buying new, which is not happening, I would grab a Ineos and take a chance. These will be everywhere. I prefer the LC being rare. I have been on mud since it was opened. The LC family has saved me $1,000s over 15+ years. Real LC folks are just different. I am not sure the new LC owners will understand. I know change is the only constant however this one is big. I can't wait to see one in person.

I wonder if the 70 Series is jealous over the fact now more people complain they can’t get a real 300 series in the states.
I don’t think so because 70 Series are smart and well traveled enough to know that in 3/4 of the civilized world 300s and 70s are sold as Landcruisers while the 250 is sold as a Prado. (Australia, Middle East, Asia, Europe and Central/South America) And 70s know that had TMC wanted the 250 to be called a Landcruiser, they would not have tacked the diminutive sub-brand Prado on the back in the first place! And 70s rightfully maintain that what Toyota thinks about this matters a whole lot more than what any of us think in the peanut gallery. Series 70s are also pleased to know that in Toyota’s home market, Japan, they are sold out for the next two years while there is absolutely zero interest in its poor relative and distant cousin from the Midwest, the 250.

I don’t think so because 70 Series are smart and well traveled enough to know that in 3/4 of the civilized world 300s and 70s are sold as Landcruisers while the 250 is sold as a Prado. (Australia, Middle East, Asia, Europe and Central/South America) And 70s know that had TMC wanted the 250 to be called a Landcruiser, they would not have tacked the diminutive sub-brand Prado on the back in the first place! And 70s rightfully maintain that what Toyota thinks about this matters a whole lot more than what any of us think in the peanut gallery. Series 70s are also pleased to know that in Toyota’s home market, Japan, they are sold out for the next two years while there is absolutely zero interest in its poor relative and distant cousin from the Midwest, the 250.
And then 70 Series, pausing, peering down his bonnet through his bifocals, offered each person in the group a lecture on a topic of their own choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom